Thanks

Rant about art books out there

I know that it's all about supply and demand. I see a ton of kawaii manga and anime character how-to books. But what I really need is really hard to find.

Not just perspective, I need books about drawing environment out of imagination. See, this kind of books are very rare. Perhaps there's not a lot of demand out there? Actually average bookstores rarely carry books about perspective anyway. And this book about 'fantasy environment' is not good enough for me. I want to have a book that puts the knowledge of perspective into practical application, like drawing sci-fi cityscape and background environment.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Loomis, All of his works are essential reading. If you get a solid grasp on his teachings, all else is sauce.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Loomis, Bridgman, Robert Beverley Hale, Barbara Bradley, Richard Schmid... it's a pretty big list. You'll draw from imagination well after doing a lot of life drawing and absorbing what you've learned. Perspective's essential as well, I can't remember any specific books on it at the moment, but Carl Dobsky has two tutorials that you can buy on this site.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts
    Admittedly there aren't many imagined environment books, but there are some videos on the subject (here and at the "other" place). But there is still a great selection of art books out there.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Loomis, definitely. Also--
    Jack Hamm's Drawing Scenery: Surprisingly good, and cheap. Very little on buildings and structures, though.
    For nuts-and-bolts perspective, I like Perspective! For Comic Book Artists by David Chelsea.
    Both emphasize constructing imaginary scenes.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Drawing environments, like anything else, from imagination stems from a lot of practice with drawing from life. Unless you're familiar with how things look in real life, it's unlikely that you will know which rules you can bend and break when you're painting from imagination. Especially when you're trying to paint fantasy and sci-fi environments. There are no shortcuts for this. By trying to skip the boring real life work, you'll end up greatly handicapping yourself.

Get Whit Brachna's Environmental Speedpainting downloads from media.massiveblack.com, as well as Dobsky's perspective tutorials. Both will help you greatly. Carl's will help you learn the rules, Whit's will help you see how they're applied in an actual concept painting.

The Art of Perspective by Phil Metzger was a huge help for me to learn the basics of perspective. It's actually pretty common in Borders and Barnes and Noble. I see it almost every time I'm there.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    on that note, I found a volume yesterday containing all of Bridgman's books in one. for less than 20$. I died. (then bought it! learning +1 )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petitemistress View Post
    on that note, I found a volume yesterday containing all of Bridgman's books in one. for less than 20$. I died. (then bought it! learning +1 )
    That book made me a very happy man. More than paid for itself.

Never been quite sure though, does it leave a lot from the individual books out?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No book can make up for discipline and a drive for succeeding. It's possible to be lazy but inspired and not getting anywhere. It’s also possible to get nowhere because of a lack of proper strategy in a learning path.

The best books can give you is strategy, understanding or reference.

Strategy: Vilppu, loomis(supplemental)
    Understanding: Bridgemann, Loomis
    Reference: Loomis, Goldfinger-Anatomy for the artist
    Inspiration: Loomis
    ----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to George Abraham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    That book made me a very happy man. More than paid for itself.

Never been quite sure though, does it leave a lot from the individual books out?
    I was wondering the same thing! im glad I wasnt being paranoid, but the book of a thousand hands seemed a bit sized down . fuck tho, with everything that's already in it, I'm more than happy so far Once Im done with it the first time, Ill look for the other books individually and see what i missed!

Thanks
    in terms of perspective books,

perspective for artists by Rex Vicat Cole
    , is pretty much a bible

and i second that Jack Hamm book!

Thanks
    I agree, Loomis and Bridgman are essential. I have Jack Hamm's drawing scenery book, and it is very good for the price; his animal drawing book also seems good, I'm about to start into it.

As for perspective, I have Perspective Made Easy and Vanishing Point. They're okay, but I still get confused sometimes by the complicated grids.

Thanks
    There are also Glen Vilppu's manuals.

And there's a good resource - DreamWorlds. I forget who it's by and it's not as bit on academic instruction as one might want. BUT it's fabulous when it comes to looking at how some of the Disney environments and pro-level animation environments were developed from doodles and sketches to color testing to ...

At any rate, it's got beautiful artwork and I find it a great reference to have around.

Also...Walt Stanchfield's animation lectures for Disney artists has just been released. Good stuff from what I have glimpsed so far.

Thanks
    There are also Glen Vilppu's manuals.

And there's a good resource - DreamWorlds. I forget who it's by and it's not as bit on academic instruction as one might want. BUT it's fabulous when it comes to looking at how some of the Disney environments and pro-level animation environments were developed from doodles and sketches to color testing to ...

At any rate, it's got beautiful artwork and I find it a great reference to have around.

Also...Walt Stanchfield's animation lectures for Disney artists has just been released. Good stuff from what I have glimpsed so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    This guy creates entire cities from imagination: http://city-builder.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    I bought Paul Bonner's art book the other day. For pure inspiration, it is the bomb.

THE.

BOMB.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Books I own:

http://www.amazon.com/Mechanika-Crea...3458659&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bold-Visions-D...3458659&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Skillful-Hunts...458659&sr=8-12

Perspective Made easy is a good book to have too. Just like creating fantasy creatures it's combining what you know and observe to mix and match to make something knew. (like what Mock said).

Thanks
    I think I might have bashed Loomis a little too hard.

I have picked up: "Successful drawing" again last night and noticed how well he actually put's his strategy into place for you in there.

I'd say this book needs to be the first Loomis book to study, especially his five P's and five C's.

His other books and studies, teaching and technique should all be arranged or subordinated to the process he put's down in there. It took a while to notice what’s missing and I needed a villpu to notice it, but it’s there in that book and quite awesome indeed.

Thanx Loomis. You can bug me in my dreams anytime.
    Last edited by George Abraham; May 29th, 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Thanks
    Baugh a book that serves as a really nice addition to other anatomy books.
    If you have reasonable understanding of skeletal landmarks, body function and proportion this should push you to the next level.

"Drawing the Living figure" by Joseph Sheppard

The book focus on surface anatomy, the whole book or 141 pages is nothing more than full figure drawings with all the different body poses followed by skeletal and muscle diagrams showing the under functions. The author then highlights the prominent surface anatomy and features to notice and possibly emphasize in your work.

The aim of the book is to really hammer the stuff into your head by the time you are done with it. I think this one will also be a good ref help book to keep closely when working from the imagination.

Thanks
    Maybe as an alternative you can look for books that focus on painting landscapes and environments, and learning the color theory aspect of landscapes. I know there are quite a few books on that out there. I think having a good understanding of the shapes, colors, and compositions of an environment can be just as useful as perspective.

Thanks
    I second The Skillful Huntsman.

Thanks
    skillful huntsman is superb! really great how they show you the development process from start to finish.

Thanks
    If you need to draw environments out of imagination, then I think what's needed is to look at tons of resources, especially travel photography and of course work from other artists.

The Matte Painting series of books from Ballistic are pretty good.

I've compiled some related resource links to matte painting on my blog recently. Might be some inspiration there.
    Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Hmph.

Those how-to-do-anime books really annoy me, leaves very little to have to do yourself, and it teaches how to do like 5 different expressions, and two different poses.

Absolute rip off, I've never bought one and never will, but my younger brother's really into them.

=/

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone View Post
    Hmph.

Those how-to-do-anime books really annoy me, leaves very little to have to do yourself, and it teaches how to do like 5 different expressions, and two different poses.

Absolute rip off, I've never bought one and never will, but my younger brother's really into them.

=/
    I've to agree.

It's incredibly difficult to write a how-to-do-anime book because anime is about the style. And it's impossible to teach style.
    Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).