Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Joe Satriani VS Coldplay

Everyone here seems to have pretty strong feelings over copyright
    so I thought id be interesting to see what everyones feelings on the
    copyright battle between Joe Satriani and Coldplay.

Before hearing this on the radio I was relatively unaware of who
    Joe Satriani was but I looked him up and think he is a pretty good musician.
    I am also a fan of Coldplay but kind of disgusted about their attitude over
    the whole thing.

IMO I think the melodies are to close but wouldn't really care if Coldplay wasn't
    being such a douche about the whole thing
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Joe Satriani is to music what the Harlem Globetrotters are to Basketball.

Thanks
    Lol!!! Coldplay is rock-n-roll for bad wetters.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mebiusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah i wet my bad every night

7. The Following User Says Thank You to B u r l For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If your dissing cold play I'll cut you....

Thanks
    I'm a great wetter, what should I listen to?

Thanks
    LOL, ahhhahahaha! Not that there is anything wrong with wetting one's bed....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Guys! guys. settle down. They both suck.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah actually i heard about this on the radio when it first started making a buzz b/c joe satriani was friends with the radio hosts. I do like coldplay but the similarities really seem unmistakeable. I am kind of confused as to the video you posted though... I find it hard to believe Chris martin really said all that. Are all those quotes like sarcastic, like he's just being a dick and making fun of the whole thing, or is he serious and saying how they plagiarised for all their songs?

Thanks
    @ ChristianWeeks, I wonder the same. I don't know, but it sounds like he has forgotten where he comes from.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    I've gotta agree... they both suck
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Both of these songs suck. But Joe Satriani does not suck...

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, Kev. Joe Satriani is one of the better guitarists of our time, as well as one of the most respected. Among guitar players, at least.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Seriously L.O.L. to Satriani sucking.
    Just because you don't like the music, does not mean someone sucks. It means you just don't like them.

I personally can't stand Celine Dione, but it's undeniable that she has a good voice.
    Same diff....

-D

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    actually, Cat Stevens... or how ever you say his name (and yes I know he changed) claims that both Sitriani and Coldplay ripped off a melody from one of his songs in both of their songs.
    *New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Satch is awesome, no dissin that guy. He's one of the few "shredders" that I can actually listen to.

I don't know wether or not Coldplay ripped of Satriani, but it does sound awfully similair. I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Martin had that song in the back of his head while writing Viva La Vida.

Thanks
    For everyone sayin Satriani sucks, hope your not Metallica fans. He taught Hammett.

But yeah, I feel like this isn't really news. A friend of mine alerted me to a song that sounded exactly like "Lost" a while back. It's sadly just the state of the pop music industry right now.

Thanks
    Sounds like media hype to me...american media..lame.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    If Joe Satriani worked for Massive Black designing songs for games and movies, you would all have the pitchforks out already. Personal tastes do not eliminate laws or crimes. Yeah, both songs might be awful, but that doesnt eliminate the fact that there may be a wrong doing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    It's fairly obvious that they ripped him off. It's weird that they admit to it in an indirect manner but then defend themselves. Hey, I think that plagiarism is bad but it occurs even in my favorite bands. But at least Opeth admits it (in the liner notes they say it's a tribute), and is good friends with the guys from Camel.

Even Led Zeppelin is guilty of it:

Thanks
    That's really not that surprising, or unprecedented. Led Zeppelin settled out of court on a number of songs, or parts of songs they ripped off old blues players. It only became a big deal because Zeppelin was making stupid amounts of money off it. Jazz musicians, and blues players stole shit from each other all the time. On top of that there's the idea of "standards" in jazz and blues, that has all sorts of people performing songs they didn't write.
    Joe Satriani I'm on the fence about. Same with Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen, Yngvie Malmsteen...and a bunch of other of "that" kind of guitar player. I can in no objective way say that they are bad guitar players, from a purely technical stand point. But at what point does it become about worshipping the person for their skill rather than enjoying their output? All these guys remind me (for several reasons) of that friend we've all had (if you had musician friends) who sat in his room all day after school, all summer, etc and could play the FUCK out of their guitar, but then when attempting to play with someone, rather than all over them, they just couldn't do it. Or because they were SOO tuned into the technical aspect and the tablature/music they were reading they were completely terrified by the idea of improvising. I'm not saying the aforementioned musicians can't play with people, obviously they can, they've just adjusted the music so that they're the loudest voice at all times. Seriously the only thing that could compete with Eddie Van Halens guitar playing was a spider monkey on crack....I mean David Lee Roth. Seriously, was that guys bass guitar even plugged in?

Once again, I completely agree that it boils down to taste. I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in regarding a topic my friends and I have debated many times before.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthogua For This Useful Post:

Nrx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Haha, I love that Pachelbel rant, hadn't heard it in ages. I guess some of what bugs me about there "hero" guitar players is just that idea. Turning musical appreciation into idol worship. How many of those guys are in band that is named after them? There's just so much ego it kinda turns me off. I remember reading in Generation Ecstasy, about how record companies had a really hard time marketing electronic music in America in the the 90's because it didn't work with their image driven marketing techniques that the American music industry had adopted, also England had a healthy singles market, where as American sales were more about whole albums. Now we have rock star DJ's....being someone that used to spin drum and bass...the whole concept is just silly. The only thing that gives some of these guys an edge up is that they have exclusive deals with producers and record companies to get a hold of dubplates and other otherwise unavailable copies of music. From an actual DJ skills stand point a lot of those guys are total hacks. Obviously there's a lot more both sides, and I"m at home sick and ranting so...I'll stop for now.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthogua View Post
    Haha, I love that Pachelbel rant, hadn't heard it in ages. I guess some of what bugs me about there "hero" guitar players is just that idea. Turning musical appreciation into idol worship. How many of those guys are in band that is named after them? There's just so much ego it kinda turns me off. I remember reading in Generation Ecstasy, about how record companies had a really hard time marketing electronic music in America in the the 90's because it didn't work with their image driven marketing techniques that the American music industry had adopted, also England had a healthy singles market, where as American sales were more about whole albums. Now we have rock star DJ's....being someone that used to spin drum and bass...the whole concept is just silly. The only thing that gives some of these guys an edge up is that they have exclusive deals with producers and record companies to get a hold of dubplates and other otherwise unavailable copies of music. From an actual DJ skills stand point a lot of those guys are total hacks. Obviously there's a lot more both sides, and I"m at home sick and ranting so...I'll stop for now.
    I see your point, but you know pretty much all musicians have a certain degree of ego. They just have to. You can't go up on stage and not think you are the most awesome thing in the world or the nerves would crush you. Whether they are able to turn that on and off when they deal with fans and interviews, I think, is the key to a good person. I've seen some genuine class acts out there (example: Judas Priest) and some genuine ego-maniacs that every word out of their mouth is trash (I'll leave the negative examples of this for people to find on their own...I hate starting band wars, which I always seem to do), but the point is everyone's got it.

A lot of them really deserve that fame, though. Van Halen was an f'n master and his style is still unmatched in many ways to this day. Ya gotta give credit where credit is due man.

We are all artists, after all. I'd hope every one of you has a least a small amount of ego, just don't be a prick about it.

-D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Anyone who's ever been on a stage and felt the crowd react directly to everything you do knows that its the biggest ego boost ever. If you have that on a grand scale 100 times a year you'll feel like you have the biggest cock in the world before long. Ego comes with the job, and very few manage to stay away from it completely.

Ego doesn't have to, and shouldn't equal douchebaggery tho...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I always rated Satriani far above the other shred monkeys.

He was a guitar teacher and music fan for a long time before he was a "Rawk star!1" and I think it shows in his marginally more restrained approach..

Still prefer Iommi and Gilmour mind..

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 516 Posts
    I always kind'a lilked this one

...and I don't think of this one as being part of the shedder conversation but it popped up when I looked for the first one... and it's pretty awesome so I'll post it anyway

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticKnight View Post
    For everyone sayin Satriani sucks, hope your not Metallica fans. He taught Hammett.
    Fair enough, but if we give him credit for that then he has to take the blame for Steve Vai..

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast