Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Highelf's Sketchbook - Third time is the charm? (some nudity)

Thanks

Highelf's Sketchbook - Third time is the charm? (some nudity)

Aloha fellow humanoids,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm just another person that likes to make visuals. I've started some studies and will only get more and more into studying serious drawing/painting, hoping to get better. To aid myself, I thought it was a good idea to post stuff on here to receive crits of the people that know their field! :]

I have recently (a week ago or so) bought a wacom tablet. I'm now constantly practising with my Wacom (GREAT piece of equipement!) (I used to use mouse to paint digitally)

Anyways, first to start with my scarce ammount of Wacom works:

Attachment 681871

Attachment 681873

Attachment 681876

Attachment 681877

Attachment 681878

Attachment 681879
    Last edited by JordyLakiere; May 27th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

more, more, more

Here are some of my digital mouse works! Oh how I longed for a wacom.

Keep in mind these ARE done with a mouse :]

Attachment 679681

Attachment 679683

Attachment 679684

Attachment 679685

Attachment 679686

Attachment 679688

Attachment 679694

Attachment 679696

Attachment 679697

Attachment 679699
    Last edited by JordyLakiere; May 24th, 2009 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks

Even more, more, more!

And finally some of my real pencil drawings. Excuse the BAD quality! I only have a shitty camera.

Attachment 679702

Attachment 679707

Attachment 679709

Attachment 679710

Attachment 679711

Attachment 679713

Attachment 679714

Attachment 679715
    Last edited by JordyLakiere; May 24th, 2009 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks

Some more.

Made another environment painting today using new brushes. I'm not very good at them... Tips? Thanks!

Attachment 680642

Thanks

Mooore

Hmm, why does my thread not have a thumbnail? I don't get it.

A little more anatomy study (females). Most from reference, some things without reference (two top right ones for example)

Pleassee crit! Any tips would be appreciated. I want to get waay better. :]

Attachment 681385

Thanks

Mroe!

Some more anatomy sketches, faces etc..

Everything without reference except the obvious posemaniac doodles. (I only discovered the site yesterday! So awesome.)

Anyone have some tips on drawing 3/4 perspective faces? I'm HORRIBLE at them. Dunno, just can't get it right. :I

Attachment 682006

Thanks
    I personally adore your environmental paintings. More so than your figure work. I can tell that you're really working hard at getting the figure down but I feel almost like you're being a little too relient on guidelines and structure shapes.

Problem with guidlines from anatomy books and such is that sometimes it becomes a sort of language that it's hard to operate outside of. You memorize the guidelines and not the actual structure of a real body. I can tell that a lot of your drawings are from your head or from photos. I think that you should really start trying to go to figure drawing classes and such. I learned in figure drawing that guidelines can really get in the way of drawing a natural figure. I really like your paintings, I think you have a great sense of color and value. All that's missing in my opinion is the knowledge gained from life drawings.
    Designin' Characters all summer. Check it out.

Thanks
    Hi, and welcome to CA!

First of all, impressive that you did such works mith the mouse. That girl portrait just below the magpie is a really good piece.

About the enviros: One thing which is very important is the atmospheric sense. It is achieved through the so-called aerial perspective. Check out this links:

http://psych.hanover.edu/krantz/art/aerial.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective

In enviro 2, however, I think the most important issue is the composition. Now it looks compressed, partly due to the small amount of sky that can be seen, partly due to the square format, and partly because of both sides of the canvas being "closed" by rocks. The tree also doesn't help in giving the impression of depth. It is placed in the farthest mountain we can see, but it is quite big. This fact tells the viewer that such "farthest mountain" is actually really close to us.

About the faces in 3/4: keep in mind that the face is a curved surface. both cheeks and the nose don't make a -^- pattern, but a /^\. I think your 3/4 look pretty good, however.

Anyway, that's a nice start! Keep working, and do studies from life, they're always better than those from photos. Good job!

Thanks

Mooooorreeee

Thanks for the crits guys! Some of these tips greatly helped.

AmourFonce,

I admit I'm very fond of guidelines, but I realise real life doesn't work that way. =] The guidelines you see in the pictures here are ones that I made myself from a real life picture. In the last one (with the female) I made a guideline from a picture, so that I could easily deform that girl in question to get her into another pose (keeping the same proportions etc.) just as practise

In the future I'll try to stray away from perfect models though (damn you, media!) when doing anatomy! ;D Also, unfortunately, there's no life drawing classes anywhere near me. (nor do I have monnies or anything, so pictures will have to do.)

Abrodos,

Thanks! You're very right about the atmospheric sense. I tried to get blueish/blurry feel in the first environment I did, but in the second the canvas was so stuffed and the furthest away point was so close, I couldn't really incorporate those effects at all (very bad composition, indeed. And camera angle.)

Anyway, more doodles. Anatomy, some from ref, others not (mentioned in the pic) and a few of my very first skin tone tryouts

Attachment 684740

Thanks

MOOOORREEEE

Some more doodles! No refs

The neanderthal dude is unfinished (obviously)

Attachment 685514

Attachment 685519

Grafguy is offline Professional Graffiti Artist - Ghent, Belgium.
    Thanks
    haha thnx, im glad u like it.
    sweet pencil sketches, they look very accurate. practice some more on the digital though. And don't rely to much on photos from the internet to learn things as skincolor. They are mostly bad quality and dont capture the colors in a good way. Paint from real time ref or professional pictures like nation geo (its a tip I got from jens, a professional illustrator who was a guest teacher for a week).

Now, as an answer to your question:

Any tips on what I should work on most (as preperation)?
    -First, show some of your 3D so i can judge weither or not your good enough.

Is the programming as tough as I think it will be?
    -Even thougher :p but if u have the courage and effort to take the pain and bite through the hard, boring stuff of C++ u should do it.

How's the pressure?
    -If you perform the 60 hour traject the teachers tell you u should do, it will be easy. But I don't know that much people who actually do that. (And they don't get that many sunshine, if u know what I mean.)
    U will have to work over night to get stuff finished for the next day, U will have to finish work at 80% of your capability just to have time left for all the other assignments. But this allows you to lead a normal life, go out, chill out etc.

Could you give some examples of assigments you got?
    - THe hooker, cowboy are 2 assignments for 3D. U get plenty of time to finish those, 3D is one of the more relax classes, but u need to stay on schedule. Cuz if u still need to rigg, animate and render a character the night before the deadline, you're not gonna make it

As for the 'concept art' class, next year it will be alot easier. That's good for the programmers but for hardcore artists it sucks! Last year I almost died of boredom in those classes because it was not hard enough for me. But all the other people in my class had trouble with it, and all failed. And I couldn't even draw that well back then!
    So most of the time you'll need to do self studies to improve, maybe show em to the teacher, he'll be happy to guide you.

Im gonna stop here cuz its getting to much :p
    If you have any questions, plz feel free to contact me again, or post it on daexp
    cu around

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafguy View Post
    haha thnx, im glad u like it.
    sweet pencil sketches, they look very accurate. practice some more on the digital though. And don't rely to much on photos from the internet to learn things as skincolor. They are mostly bad quality and dont capture the colors in a good way. Paint from real time ref or professional pictures like nation geo (its a tip I got from jens, a professional illustrator who was a guest teacher for a week).
    Thanks for the tips and answers, dude! :] Just checked out DAExp, didn't know about it. Looks cool! Btw, what year are you in atm? Is it true about the succes rate %? (I heard only 30 of 300 graduated for example) If true, what's the main reason for that?

As for 3D stuff, I'm only actually familiar with low poly modelling (haven't done much high poly modelling <- I think high poly environs will be my major weak point)

I used to run a solo mod project, so I had to do game models for it constantly (I was doing everything from models&textures to scripts, story design etc. etc.) Eventually ended up working on the mod for a year and a half, maybe two. (got 80.000 downloads for my mod, which was for a game that wasn't even commercial at the time Only buyable via internet, so largely unknown! I made the second most popular mod, beating tons of mod team by myself )

Anyway, the point is I have alot of experience on modelling low poly stuff very quickly, as well as tons of neat game-quality texturing tricks

This is an example of a character I did for fun - he could look ALOT better, but I wanted as low poly as possible (it's 1500 quads) aandd I just got sick of it and wanted to wrap things up so I kinda neglected the texture a bit, hahah. (has color, spec & normal maps)

Attachment 685577

And here's the first Zbrush model I made:

Attachment 685578

Here's a mech I modelled like 2-3 years ago. (age 14/15) The design sucks big time though. It's only good for it's topological complexity. NOTE: the mech doesn't have a texture (color map). It's all materials.

Attachment 685588

Attachment 685590

Attachment 685591
    Last edited by JordyLakiere; May 31st, 2009 at 01:40 PM.

Grafguy is offline Professional Graffiti Artist - Ghent, Belgium.
    Thanks
    nice models, for 3D in the first year is prop modelling, low poly 1st semester, you'll see UVWunwrap, texturing.
    Highpoly 2nd (a car as final project), with materials.
    2nd year is characters and rigging, first a cartoony high poly and then a realistic lowpoly with normals. 3Rd year is videoproduction where we mix 3D and video
    I guess u won't be learning that much from the 3D classes, cuz u seem pretty progressed. And we don't learn how to make enviorments, mostly its a matte paint (if its a movie, in a game its mostly code generated)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast