Max the Mutt Animation School, Toronto, Open House
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Max the Mutt Animation School, Toronto, Open House

The final show of this academic year is finally hung! Our "Industry Evening" is this week, followed by graduation, and OPEN HOUSE Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 to 4PM.

After that, until the end of June, we are open to visitors Monday- Saturday 10 to 4PM. The proof of the pudding... do visit and see the work of this year's third and fourth year animation graduates as well as year 2 Concept Art and Illustration for Sequential Arts work. A small selection of year one work is also still on display.

Please post your comments on this thread, or the Max the Mutt thread.
    We will also be making a video of the Industry Evening which will be posted on you Tube and our website.

Thanks to all of you who've supported our efforts to continue to provide the best education we're capable of at affordable tuition. It isn't easy...but then, nothing worthwhile is.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What year student did that work? The darks look like they have white mixed into them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a quick study using limited palette. In some situations, there are no, or very few. dark darks. That is, the "key" is light. This painting comes from the beginning weeks of a second year figurative painting course. I would call it a gesture painting, since the pose was probably one or two hours long.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What paints do your students use for limited palette (e.g. cadmium red, cobalt blue, etc.), if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like an earth red, black, ochre, and white on an earth red ground. This is a quick painting, a first experience painting on a toned ground, and a first experience using limited palette! The pose probably lasted one to two hours. The painting has flaws, but I think it's good work for a beginning painter trying something new!

P.S. We use cardboard, heavy paper...anything inexpensive for quick studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I would just stop by to share my experiences at the Year 3 & 4 Graduation Show and Showcase of the Year 2 Animation/Concept Art/Illustration.

Another year has passed by so quickly, and I hope all you current students at Max had a successful year. As well, to all teachers, I hope you all had an enjoyable year teaching and hope to see you back in September.

I would just like to share with you all my experience at this year's graduation show for the 3rd year and 4th year students. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate this year's graduating class, wish them all the best and luck in their future endeavors. To all the graduating 3rd year students, it was a pleasure entering the school at the same time as you, and I am truly impressed by the hard work you put in your final films, even though you only had 3 weeks to put it all together. Kudos.

To the 4th year students, I was truly in awe at all of your 3D projects on display in the theater, especially the short films you all produced. The quality of work produced just blew me away. If you can, I urge you all in this group to go to the school to see the films that were produced. Sitting in there watching both 3rd and 4 year films, along with newly graduate and close friend, Richard Truong, gave me an excitement and inspiration into creating my own short film. I can't wait to produce mine!

The 2nd Year Showcase was just as awe-inspiring as watching the films. The level of quality in the 2nd year's was totally beyond what I had expected. Just the amount of work displayed from all 3 programs was enough to keep me at school for hours ( I had arrived at 5PM), to just look through the student work. It was that much!

I encourage all students who had finished year 1, and who are about to attend Max the Mutt to go to the Open House and get a preview of work you will produce in Year 2 and Year 3.

Aside from that, I hope you all keep doing what you love to do, which is DRAW (DUH!), party hard, but have a safe summer. And to the recent grads, all the best!

~Daniel Racelis
    (Year 2 Animation Student)

P.S. Don't forget to mark your calendars! 9 hits theaters on 9.9.09!
    (Produced by Toronto-based studio, Starz Animation!)
    P.P.S Congrats to Starz Animation on the recent news!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daniel, thanks for posting about your reactions to the show. I also was excited and think this is a terrific show! I think the addition of CA and Sequential Arts gives more breadth to what is being achieved at Max the Mutt.

I look forward to seeing the graduate show you will be part of in 2010!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.