Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: mail exchange proposal

Thanks
    I'll pm you my addie if you pm me yours Jake, thats how you make art friends but I warn you, my art is not metal D: (I could probably prode Andreas into pitching in for you tho )

I mean, personally, I trust most of those i deem "regulars" on this site, and I consider them friends, and wts the worst that could happen? they send me poop? oh noes I wdnt mind pming say, Grief, Kellyx, Clo, Davi, Alesoun, Aphotic_Phoenix etc with my address, and Chaos has been waiting for art trade cards from me in forever (sorry! havent forgotten I swear!!), so I mean, why the hell not? but im just gullible like that ._.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    count me in, sounds like fun! only if i am to be trusted however

Looking for work experience - let me show you what I can do

Thanks
    Mmhm, I think some level of organisation would be nice in terms of matching us all up. As Jake said, not all of us have these art friends and if anything this would be a nice way to let us less embeded members feel more part of the comunity. Heh, not sure I'm liking the "please be my friend" tone of this post but oh well.

I do however think that keeping spontaneity the main seed from which the images grow is good. Applying briefs straight away makes it feel like "work" that needs doing when I think what we should be aiming for is having fun because we want to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Ugh, I fucking renounce metal... there's a rare bunch of incredible music within it (which is greatly out-weighed by shit to be honest), but I can no longer stand the stereotypes or ridiculous culture surrounding it.

Metal art is cool though.

Yeah, if anyone wants to do some sketch exchanges, I'd be up for it. Send me a PM or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    thanks for all the replies folks!

i assure everyone that this 'event' of sorts will be about making friends.

after reading all the comments i think i have a workable format in mind that will satisfy the general consensus of users who would like to participate. i'll draw up some charts today on what i'm thinking...

mail exchange proposal

Thanks
    I agree that it should remain fun and spontaneous. But I also think there should be a minimum of organization. For instance, I'm sure if people start to randomly PM their adresses to people, some will get way more demand than others (and it might put a lot of pressure on them while leaving out less vocal members).

Maybe we could have a private thread where anyone interested in participating just post their adresses. Whenever someone feels like randomly sending out sketches, they can do so at their convenience (whether it is one sketch or 12). In return, the recipients post the sketches as a courtesy, like a thank-you note. That way, there is no direct pressure but there is also an incentive to participate (public feedback).

I feel that if we just send things to friends, then there is no point doing it as a community activity. I already have people I send drawings to, they're just not artists or CA members But I do like the communial aspect of Grief's idea, mainly because working as a freelance artist (or just being an amateur artist) can get rather lonely and insular.

Thanks
    The more this veered away from limited edition works the more I lost interest, but then I'm into woodcuts, so I guess if grief got a stick figure in the mail from me it would be missing the boner anyway.

Thanks
    I want to get in on the fun and make friends. I love getting snail mail, but the people I send letters to are usually too busy to reply. I guess that's one bad things about the internet.
    ♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    RE: Posting addresses online.

Post an official thread in the CA exclusive forum could provide some security.

I'm interested for sure. Got a stack of stamps sitting here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petitemistress View Post
    and wts the worst that could happen? they send me poop?
    ... maybe, if you end up trading art with Cy Twombly.

Thanks
    I would send you art all day, Grief!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Faust~ For This Useful Post:

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Okay, let's address a few concerns here, for those of you who seem to be either somewhat naive, too trusting, or simply clueless...

First, a theme is NOT meant to stifle you. As the Artist, HOW you interpret ANY theme is STILL an individual choice. The ability to "think outside the box" is truly a skill you should be attempting to acquire.

How on earth some of you can whine about this is beyond belief...
    Just for example, let's say the theme is "babies." Now, while I personally have absolutely little to no interest in Human babies, this type of theme would still leave any semi-intelligent artist with a plethora of directions to explore. Robot babies, Plant babies. Monsters with Plant characteristics, sprouting "babies" off its body...Baby planets. Baby monsters dressed really cute...For goodness sakes, don't shoot down something just because it doesn't talk to YOU, personally. Think a bit more outside your personal box, and think about the community, which has some members who want to play, but then end up staring at an empty postcard, discouraged from the get go...
    WHY this would somehow "ruin" the "surprise" aspect of the idea is also confusing. What, because you know there is a "theme," you know what the art you get will be? Pfah!

A Theme was JUST a suggestion to help EVERYONE play, not to impede any of you...Draw an anti-theme, or don't follow the theme at all. THAT's not the point here...

Now, regarding addys online.
    Quote Originally Posted by petitemistress View Post
    I mean, personally, I trust most of those i deem "regulars" on this site, and I consider them friends, and wts the worst that could happen? they send me poop? oh noes I wdnt mind pming say, Grief, Kellyx, Clo, Davi, Alesoun, Aphotic_Phoenix etc with my address, and Chaos has been waiting for art trade cards from me in forever (sorry! havent forgotten I swear!!), so I mean, why the hell not? but im just gullible like that ._.
    Yup, you ARE gullible like that, and so are most of us. I am no longer that trusting, after a fellow artist had a knock on her front door (in a VERY remote, and not heavily populated part of Wisconsin), only to find her very own internet stalker, who decided that her art touched him in a special way, and he felt a "bond" to her, compelling him to go to her...NOT the kind of exchange most of us want...

Nothing wrong with being "gullible," but there is NOTHING wrong with being informed, so that your gullibility is by choice, and not ignorance. While there are people on these boards whom I would trust implicity without having ever met in person, the vast majority of members are, and remain, strangers. People with no external signs or history suddenly lose it and do bad things (the Craigslist guy, the kid who tried to shoot kids in a Jr. high for absolutely no reason, the weird woman who allegedly killed her 8-year old daughter's best friend, etc.). PMing people is fine, because again, YOU make the choice. But to publicly post your addy where anyone, member or not, can read it, is simply taking unnecessary risks with your personal information.
    There is NO Internet page that is secure with your address on it, if it is viewable by the Public, even "exclusive" forums, unless everyone registered is somehow "verifiable..." As the old saying goes, "On the Internet, no one really knows if you are a God, or just a dyslexic dog..."
    Forewarned is forearmed.

Arttorney, you are TOO funny. You lost interest "The more this veered away from limited edition works the more I lost interest, but then I'm into woodcuts..."
    If I'm not mistaken here,
    1. Woodcuts, by their very nature, are neither intended, nor designed, for "limited edition works," and
    2. Short of every single member of CA signing on for this, just HOW freaking "limited edition" are you wanting? What? Less that 100 copies? 25? One-on-one? You need to expand your awareness of art exchanges. I would MUCH rather have a well-created print that is one of 5,000, and shows true effort, than a one-on-one "quickie" speedpaint stickfigure that looks like the concept took no longer than the speedpaint itself...

Those of you throwing down "roadblocks" here, with your "concerns and personal dislikes" are missing the point, which it merely to make art and send it to someone else.
    From "Gee, I like ANYTHING I get in the mail," now we have "Gee, I only like getting THIS type of art in the mail, and I won't play if there are any suggestions that I disagree with..." SHEESH!
    Just make something and send it. There are NO grades or points awarded here, and I seriously doubt that anyone (except the most picky and elitist of the participants) will refuse or look down on anything you make. Again, don't let the suggestions stifle YOU, it's for those who may not be familiar with certain Internet protocols that can help protect them, or help them overcome hesitations to even trying.

Swap addys by PM, swap addys by group. Post 'em here, post 'em on DA or Craigslist. Participate on your own standards, or join up with a common theme. No one is trying to stop you. The suggestions are for those new to the idea, that's all, and I posted them for THOSE people, not the rest of you who do or don't want to take part...

Just send Grief something, k?thx.
    ~M
    Last edited by madster; May 26th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to madster For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast