critique my motorbike

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

critique my motorbike

This is my autonomous motorbike concept. Kinda inspired by the new terminator movie. Things i need help/instruction with:

1. All my rendered pieces look shiny and plastic like, not like it could be real. How do you texture/shade to make things look more real?

2. Suggestions for a background to make it look like its speeding along.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a different color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good. I like the design a lot!

If you want to make it "more real," I'd really really really recommend you do some research on lighting and texturing. Not only are there many books on the topic, there are hundreds of tutorials available for free on the web, and even a basic tutorial will tell you more about creating a convincing metal surface than any commenter here could hope to suggest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, looks like a great image. However to get it more 'real' so to speak I'd definitely look into automotive design and bike design in particular. When I was studying automotive design they were all using autodesk CAD software as well as Maya. I'm completely new btw and I was never that familiar with CAD.

To me it looks like something suitable for a video game but not that believable as a real world vehicle. I'm not so sure why. I'm guessing from your pictures that the rider is enclosed within the bike? The proportions look to me as if it would be really difficult to be in that! Like the person would have to have a double jointed spine to be able to actually poke his head into the top turret, maybe look into the ergonomics of a vehicle a bit more? Sorry j1wsco, I'm not bashing your work at all, I'm nowhere near rendering anything nevermind something in 3d! The overall aesthetic is great but if you wanted it to look more real I really think looking into the points I mentioned above, it would aid the overall believable look of the bike.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieLee View Post
    First of all, looks like a great image. However to get it more 'real' so to speak I'd definitely look into automotive design and bike design in particular. When I was studying automotive design they were all using autodesk CAD software as well as Maya. I'm completely new btw and I was never that familiar with CAD.

To me it looks like something suitable for a video game but not that believable as a real world vehicle. I'm not so sure why. I'm guessing from your pictures that the rider is enclosed within the bike? The proportions look to me as if it would be really difficult to be in that! Like the person would have to have a double jointed spine to be able to actually poke his head into the top turret, maybe look into the ergonomics of a vehicle a bit more? Sorry j1wsco, I'm not bashing your work at all, I'm nowhere near rendering anything nevermind something in 3d! The overall aesthetic is great but if you wanted it to look more real I really think looking into the points I mentioned above, it would aid the overall believable look of the bike.
    thanks for the comments. the idea is its a robotic motorbike with no driver, the 'helmet' looking thing would contain cameras etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lighting

Read a tutorial on 3 point lighting and , shazzam, looks better already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real life is never as clean as a 3d model allows. Grit, dirt, rust, scratches, fading, etc, even in the most subtle ways, will give your textures more life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieJ View Post
    Real life is never as clean as a 3d model allows. Grit, dirt, rust, scratches, fading, etc, even in the most subtle ways, will give your textures more life.
    FrankieJ is right - get this thing dirty. Try this tutorial. It explains how to give a texture a more "lived in" look.

Good luck,
    bart

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.