Art: Some Traditional Animation
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some Traditional Animation

From the past year at Sheridan College.

Hopefully I can embed these from youtube properly.

Animated by me, Clean up - Jon Coit, Layout/BG Paint - Chris Thompson

Animated/Clean up by me, Layout - Jon Coit, BG paint - Ben Thomas

Unfortunately not much here as far as character animation goes, but I'm always looking for critiques.

What do you all think?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm quite impressed, I think your strength is in your timing, good job, I wish my traditional skills were this good

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jasonschlossman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice! the first two are fav.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rattus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice movements; espec on the follow-through. you coul even lengthen the rest-points between actions a lit longer I think. (like when the baseball player looks after his ball), and enlarge the diff of his reaction. but that's a bit of a question what the script has the guy doing. I read he's swinging the bat- apparently hitting a ball as he looks after it. (dont see the ball) looks after his ball- which mush be going in a straight line. has a scare (ball hits something? this part is too unclear to me) then turns to whisper to someone behind him (again, a bit too suddenly after the scare. can't read why he's whispering. maybe someone got hit in the face by the ball? then he should first make a pained face to show that..)

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those pencil tests are gorgeous! The cleaned up and colored versions seem to move allright, but are a bit shaky? Is it a movie-compression-issue or is it intended to be so?

Cheers!
    Jan van der Zee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jvdz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First rate! How many hours of classical animation do you get a week? Is this work all "assignments" or are you doing extra stuff because you really have the animation bug? My guess is you're giving it extra.... You are also a very decent guy and my prognosis is a long and successful career.

By the way, it was a good idea having someone else do the layout and BGP.

Come visit our Open house if you get a chance...it would be nice to see you again.

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; May 25th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments and critiques everyone!

Jasonschloslsman, Rattus: Thank you

Ashess: Thank you, I definitely agree with your comments. I still find myself trying to cram in too much into a short period of time. Im still struggling in finding those golden poses, and working through them, making sure the action and the intent of the character is reading clear. Without the rest of the Leica, the animations by themselves dont really hold much merit as far as the story goes, and I think I'd be much more successful if I can clue the viewer in on whats happening even with 1 scene from a reel, be it stronger clearer poses, or better acting or staging.

Jvcdz: Thank you for the compliment. As for the possible shakiness, It might be because I forgot to turn off frame blend in premiere, which is notorious for killing animation. OR it could just be my hackjob at clean up (im slowly getting it), which is killing the life of the rough animation.

Maxine Schacker: Thank you for the kind words, Maxine, I certainly appreciate it! As far as animation classtime goes, this year we had about 2 hours of inclass, and 1 hour lecture. It's been like that every year though if i recall correctly. Most of it is from an assignment, and our group film. The little boy was done on my own time. I certainly love hand drawn animation, so i suppose in my spare time I do fair amount of that. I know others in my year who are far more gung ho (and certainly more talented) than I am, as I prefer to work on my gestures, life drawing, or studying commercial illustration pre 1980. I spend more time practicing my draftsmanship then I do animating.

I agree about having someone else do the layout and the BG painting, it was challenging and fun to work on someone else's layout, and taught my peers and I a lot about communication.

Id love to see what your students are up to this year but Im currently out of country for an internship until september. I will try to make it out to your open house next summer, or if your at Ottawa this year for the film festival, I will stop by and say hello!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amazing Action Ape For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is absolutely awesome! Unfortunately some of the videos don't play for me,
    so I guess I'll be back later on, check your work for real and leave a full comment.

Keep it going!(:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to liolev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great thread, i love your rough stuff, especially the first one, i also love when the dude is followed by little things ! Great animations, show us more !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAA, just a thought, you could use storyboarded pictures to explain the story up to the point where the penciltest starts -that way, we all know what's going on. well, hopefully

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very very impressive animations, love the pencil tests!
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUde!!! the pencil tests are amazing! very fluid and expressive congratulations

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ArturoPower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where is your internship? Is it for animation or design? It sounds as if you have a tendency towards illustration or concept art. I'm pretty excited about the CA program. Keep an eye out for our new galleries (should be up by the end of June) and let me know what you think.

I hope you have a great summer.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to butt in with an off topic post!

Maxine Schacker - Your school looks like heaven. I spoke to you on here a couple of years ago (different account) about my foundation course, and Ive spent the last two years battling to get anything from the university. Ive transfered to illustration and now I rely on self motivation to get any learning done. I hope your students appreciate the support they get in the essential skills! Most of our lecturers refuse to acknowledge any value in life drawing or serious studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ape, I hope your internship is going well & your learning plenty.
    Smooth animations & I love the blog also. yumm!

/d

27. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the first two and the one of the cliff in colour. Great timing and the movement of the characters is so well done. On top of that the pitcher has a great expression just before that end with the "WHAAAAAAAAAAT...?" LOL Definitely gotta put up some animation of my own now! Cheers man and keep it up!

-PJ
    Keep the child alive...
    Dare to Believe Sb
    Website
    Blog
    Class 1 and 2

29. The Following User Says Thank You to comixnut For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.