The best way to organize references both physical and digital?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The best way to organize references both physical and digital?

Anybody have some good advice and tips on how to organize your references so you don't have to sift through too much files and clippings? Even for the 3d artist, how do you organize your texture library? This would help out a lot, many thanks to anyone who replies.

There just has to be a better way than the way i do it. I always run into that one piece of reference that really doesn't have a place to go because it involves many categories etc.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just organize my stuff by named folders and organize by large icon view for previews.

If you really want to be organized, you could have like Nature, and then in there, have Rocks, Trees, etc. And if an image crosses categories, put a copy or alias in multiple folders.

(When I'm browsing the internet, I save anything that is interesting or might be useful in the future, so I have thousands of files; most of which are actually unorganized. I just periodically browse my downloaded files...)

Last edited by anjy; May 23rd, 2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: parenthesis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to anjy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wrote some quick code in PHP with a couple of MySQL tables; basically I save any image I want to my HD, go onto my script page and choose "upload"; it uploads all outstanding images, creates thumbnails and I can type keywords in against each image. I can then search for keywords and it brings back images by relevance. Pretty basic but effective. If you know a bit of scripting it saves hours (days!) of looking at folders and thumbnails. I've tagged about 3000 so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figure out what types of references you want to collect. For example: figures, animals, architecture, landscapes, objects, food, individual anatomy, miscellaneous. Make folders for those references, and maybe even do sub-folders in those (Figures - Male, Female). That's what I usually do at least.

Members who have read this thread: 1