NEED HELP!CAN I WORK AS A illustrator?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NEED HELP!CAN I WORK AS A illustrator?

Last edited by lqsfsf; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: i don't wanna see these!!i'll be back!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just don't konw where is my furter.i‘m just a college graduate。still have no work to do.personally,i wanna work as a illustrator for magazine our CD’s cover or anything ,whatever.i do happy that my pic can be used in anywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have any more finished pieces? These all look very sketchy and very unfinished.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd suggest opening a sketchbook in the Sketchbook section of the forum, to post your work, receive critiques, and improve. In all honesty, I don't think you could be an illustrator at the moment, but in a year of hard practice with critique from other artists, who knows. Please don't take this as harsh, I just want to tell you the truth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what my professors used to tell me (and that was only 3 years ago) graduates straight out of college rarely get hired as illustrators. Forgive the phrase, but you have to pay your dues first. Work with signs, logos and documentation graphics, first. From that you will build a portfolio you can then present to potential employers as work you have already created for jobs. You can spend a good 10 years doing this.

Also, as someone who personally knows an illustrator, it's INCREDIBLY hard to get into. She has been working as an illustrator for over 30 years and is amazingly talented (Her name is Ann Iosa if you want to look up her work) and yet, is finding it hard to find work in this job market.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, always try, send in your portfolio every chance you get, the most an HR rep can do is not give you an interview. Also, the advice I was given from ESPN's illustration department head, go to the library and study the illustration magazines and believe it or not, Playboy. They often feature new artists for a quick panel in their editions which is seen by just about anyone in the business. You can get a good idea of what is currently out there and what employers are looking for.

One more small advice bit: Make sure you spell correctly and use proper grammar when job hunting. If I was a potential employer who saw your post, I would pass by the thread based on your poor writing.

Good Luck! Believe me, I'm also in the same boat and completely understand the frustration of not having a job. Try taking a portfolio to local shops as well, you might get a chance to prove yourself. Always try even if you feel you're under qualified, like I said, the most someone can say is "no". And sometimes, you get lucky. ^_^

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    None of those pieces are finished enough to get you work.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.