Thanks

Tablet PC vs Notebook+Wacom

Im going to buy a mobile digipainting device, and don't know which one.
    both have advantages and disadvantages.
    I tend to buy a notebook cause i can't imagine to paint without any keys for shortcuts.
    would be nice to here some of your experiences and recommendation.
    thx, cheers
    l0bo

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The search bar is a FWEND.

here's a simple breakdown:
    tablet:
    -pros:
    all in one (less space required on the desk/in the bag)
    comes set up out of the box
    -cons:
    most tend to be not all that powerful
    generally pretty cheap, and you only need one purchase
    the only cheap ones (HP's tx2500 series starts at $650) are hot and heavy (note: only 32bit vista made it hot, after switching to 64 I noticed less heat, and switching to 64 bit windows 7, my fans almost never on)
    not nearly as stable as a real laptop (hinge)

Notebook+tablet:
    -pros:
    a hell of a lot more options in laptops and tablets
    generally you'll get a better laptop and a better tablet
    if one breaks you still have the other
    -cons:
    expensive as hell when you realize you need to buy BOTH a notebook AND a tablet
    take up a lot of room once you everything set up
    every computer is different once you try to install new drivers

so:
    not rich? tablet
    like more portability? tablet
    power hungry? N/W
    absolutely need the best tablet specs on the go? N/W

it all depends, so weigh your options, look at what you have, and run with it.
    SKETCHBOOK COMING SOON!

I CANT USE CUSTOM PICTURES IN A SIG?! PREPOSTEROUS!

Thanks
    A tablet PC is a much better option for digital painting, there's no contest IMO.

They're not necessarily underpowered either, the one I own is a Fujitsu T5010 and it's very powerful. If you need keyboard shortcuts you can buy a bluetooth keyboard to provide access to them, however I often paint without using the keyboard, but I do have a custom workspace set up to make this efficient.

Thanks
    thank you guys. very helpfully
    I guess fwend means something like friend or so. tried it but the results have been poor...
    hmhmh. seems like tablet pc would be the better choice.
    and the small displays of the tablet pcs aren`t annoying ?
    The t5010 looks rly nice, sadly about 500$ above my limit.
    Last edited by L0bo; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks
    You can't do any worthwhile CG on cheap TPCs. Sketchbook + watercolor kit is much more effective for painting on the go.
    Last edited by 2100; May 22nd, 2009 at 07:11 AM. Reason: so i was a bit harsh...

Thanks
    ordered a fujitsu t5010 some minutes ago. found one für ~1600 bucks.

Thanks
    Sorry for kinda... Stealing your thread, LObo, but do you guys known something about painting in smartphones? Wich of them allow pressure sensitiveness and a nice application?

I recon El Coro makes some paintings in IPhone. Nintendo DS is not a Smartphone, but there is this "Color" aplication that allows for painting on the go. Any other toughts on the subject of skecthing digitally anywhere?
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    first question to ask is waht do you want to use it for , and what does it have to do ?

you wanna play the latest games ?along with paitningn ?
    you want a more real life sketchign feel and dont need to keep up with games ?sketching or polished paintings ?start a paitnng on the tablet pc and finish on a desktop with intuos ?sketching at home or out and about ? how long do you plan to use it away from a plug <imporant one >

i have a tablet pc and asked the same question to people i know that have them , most of them said , defetnly go with a laptop and wacom

i dident take their advice and decided to get the tablet pc . in my case i have a desktop and a intuos 3 .and i do alot of sketching outside of the home <at coffie > useing a pencil and pen i feel verry comfortable , probably do to the amount of time i spend/have spent useing them . i felt i needed to bring that amount of time to my painting , but i wasent prepaired to spend all day and night at home . so i went with the tablet pc , figureing if i didnt liek to paint on it directly i could allwasys bring the intuos with me

i bought it used ti for a month and was reddy to return it , not 100% shure why <might have been vista bugged me at first > and got to the last day and really started useing it , and decided to keep it , totaly happy with my choice

ok so heres imo waht the pros and cons are and things to thinkabout

tablet pc ,in my case the {gateway c140x <with all options>2.2 dual core, hd2300 ati card 160 gig hd , can dual monitor perfectly >
    direct useage <defenly feels good to work directly on the picture >

verry good batrery llife 4.5hours with 8 cell bat in pwoer saver , no decrease in performance for painting <can go up to 12 cell bat , pluss a pcima card bat that adds another 6 pluss hours alone >

potental problums and soulutions ,
    lack of hot keys , this is pretty big one but easly solved , either use a game controler and joy to key <simple and easy to set up > or get a usb keyboard , i got a rollup keyboard that works perfectly <defently recomend this

bat life , if you get one <laptop too > make shrue you get the highest capacty bat you can , or you will hate your self and the macheen lol

vidieo card , this is an isue if u want to use it for multi pourpus , liek for gameing , if you have the option get the best card you can a dedicated one , i think the new c140 line has a better card that will do dx 10

hd , its gnna be smaller then a compairable laptop but u can get a decent size .

on to the pen it self , make shure you get a pen abled one a wacom one , or dont bother , some of the others either use a battrie , or dont have pressure sensititvty or boath .

penabled one is jsut liek a tablet , the only problum is pressure only goes up to 250 levles <last i looked anyway > and thats a real issue , though it feels more like 512 <compairble to a bamboo or graphire . this i can promis you is far less the an inutos 3 of compaiable size , and no till or rotation cabablitlys .<get the pen with the eraser and 3 buttens as well will make thigns easer on you . > that said , its not as bleak as it sounds , becasue your whole screen is active so you have longer for a stroke , so it feels more accurate then a bamboo or graphire .

not shure about the hp , but the c140x and its varrents are 800 to 1600 <though at 1600 you can talk them down to 1200 jsut by saying your a student > defently suggest the convertable tablet pc over the slate , convertables are jsut liek a laptop compleet with dvd burner or blueray player and no need for a docing station liek the slate

at the time i bought the c140x , nothing came close to the specs for the price , a comprable tablet would have cost 2200 bucks easy . and ended up getting the c140x for 12 loaded <only thing missing was the 12 cell bat> and it had the most functionality of all teh ones i looked at <could play age of conan > down side is gateway is slow if at all at updateing drivers , but this hasent been a real issue other then the ati card
    rember the tablet pc is defently not a cintique
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    with the laptop , you get a little more versititly and utility , can get much better vid card if you want to game , bigger hd , better screen resoulution and larger screens . , you could get an intuos 4 for 200 bucks <the small one > and it would probably feel better for paitnig then the tabletpcs <though for sketchign , the tablet pc wins imo >

bat life is an issue here to and more so , if you have a bigger better vid card and hd and bigger higher rez screen .

price wise thay will be about = after u buy the intuos <ehre i suggest geting the medium intuos 4 , apprently totaly awesoem to use and will fit perfect in a laptop bag > 600 to 1000 or so for the comptuer 200 to 369 for the tablet

go though those questions at the top and ask your self ,and be honest here , what you realy want to do with it . boath are a good choice as long as your useing them .

i can defently say that im happy with buying the tablet pc <espesaly after geitng the roll up keyboard for the hot keys > and use it all the time for work and fun , though rarely do i do any finished professional work on it >>>>>goodluck with your choice !!!!!!

Thanks
    iphones and ds i htink are the only ones with any decent piainting ablity

samsung and htc defently cant paint on them , no apps an dthe pressure sensititivty just isent there

with the iphone/ipod touch and ds there are 2 main programs , brushes , and colors , colors for the ds requres an extra cartrage and custom firmware<not recomended by nintendo > .

with the iphone/ipodtouch , you have to either paint with your finger or get a special stylus , thats like a finger ! because its sensitive to conductivity of the skin and a normal stulus <penlike one > doesnt have that .

the the ds you need the cart custom firmware , and u can use a real pen like stylus , boath seem close in ablity to paint and quality .

ds pluss cart , 250 or little more

iphone 200 to 400 , unless you can find a used one , some times cheep

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    my own 2c, and I only really paint digi for my prelim work so I haven't done much shopping around, but I like the feel of a tablet connected to a laptop much better than a tabletPC. I bought a second hand tablet PC just because I liked the idea of taking it to life drawing and that sort of thing, but I never ever use it. I work much better with a Wacom plugged into my old laptop. Also, as Liam mentioned, the levels of sensitivity are a noticeable issue, at least to me.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    it's really a personal preference thing, but I also have a tablet PC and I don't use it much. I'm desperately trying to sell the thing but without much luck. I just prefer the ol' tablet and monitor set up.

Although to be honest, I used a cintiq recently for an extended period of time and I dug it a lot. I think the problem I had with the tablet PC was how cramped the space felt and the lack of hotkeys.

Thanks
    Thank u guys for all your replies.

carlosranna:np. it's a good addition to my questions
    liam.c: thanks a lot! Big Help ! Hope i solved the battery issue by ordering an other bat.
    and for hotkeys i think ill get this sweet piece:
    http://www.ultron.de/v1/produktansic...ype=Tastaturen

and since i can return the tpc within 1 month, i think this whole threat gets unnecessery thanks though

Just wanna post this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUUDYiKEKA
    so i think the sensitivity issue is also a very subtle one.
    cheers l0bo

Thanks
    Just so you know, I'm selling a tablet PC..

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158991

Thanks
    first post from my tpc !
    ups man brought it this morning, and i love him for that !!!
    i thinks its awesome ! first thing i did was installing photoshop, and its so smooth and easy ! the lack of sensitivity is imo beyond recognition. the only thing thats improveable are the missing keys. but with an external keyboard it is ok.
    soooo tablet pc has my vote !
    cheers l0bo