Painter 11 Update available
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55

Thread: Painter 11 Update available

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Painter 11 Update available

    For those who haven't opened Painter 11 in a while there is now an update available for download. I haven't checked for enhancements yet but fingers crossed.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeparis For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Was it released in secret? Let us know how it goes!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm on deadline and I've only had five minutes to play with it but it seems that the missing strokes/stray dabs bug has been dealt with. I won't say definitively because this has happened before only to return later - but here's hoping. Unfortunately the Free Transform still crops off the canvas.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Good to hear an update has been released. Will have to check it out later.

    For those looking for it online: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1234450613802 is the new patch for Painter 11 at 6.8 mb

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lisbon, I think...
    Posts
    912
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 153 Times in 107 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    F5 F5 F5

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chihuahua mexico
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    YEAH I JUST NOTICED THIS TODAY TOO, WHEN THE PAINTER STARTED DOWNLOAIND IT BY ITSELF.

    Did someone knows what this update fixes?, hope copy and paste its fixed, let me go and check.

    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chihuahua mexico
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    For those who haven't opened Painter 11 in a while there is now an update available for download. I haven't checked for enhancements yet but fingers crossed.
    It seems copy and paste works perfeclty now, anyone found something else?

    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chihuahua mexico
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Good to hear an update has been released. Will have to check it out later.

    For those looking for it online: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1234450613802 is the new patch for Painter 11 at 6.8 mb
    it seems that workspace bugs were corrected, so its easily to save workspaces and be used properly. Did you found anything else on this update?

    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Has the CPU bug been fixed, when the CPU was at 40% even when not painting? That was a killer for me. (Afraid I can't test it as I only have an expired evaluation copy)

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #10
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The stray dabs still present, the Bug when you change your brush (On the Brush selector, its the second one like "Oil/Variant <---" if you change it to stroke, it goes back to thumbnail view. Copy and paste, as Elsevilla noted, does work now.

    As far as the CPU bug, it spikes up to 51% when I make strokes (nothing else was currently running) Settles around 45% in 11 but to be fair I noticed this usage in previous versions of painter but it drops to 22% I think when you're not moving the pen.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,531
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Painter X on my machine runs at 4% on idle. I wouldn't want an app running any more than 10% on idle - certainly not 45%! Look like that bug is still there then. (AR spikes at 47% when painting and when idle is a solid 0%).

    And stray dabs too? 8|

    It would be useful if it said what problems it should fix, then we'd know if it had worked or not.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #12
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Painter X on my machine runs at 4% on idle. I wouldn't want an app running any more than 10% on idle - certainly not 45%! Look like that bug is still there then. (AR spikes at 47% when painting and when idle is a solid 0%).

    And stray dabs too? 8|

    It would be useful if it said what problems it should fix, then we'd know if it had worked or not.
    The only thing I could gather from the update was this: This will update your Corel Painter 11 Windows application to 11.0.017. This update will improve painting and drawing functionality. It is highly recommended that you download and install this update.
    To install Corel Painter 11 Hot Fix 1

    1. Download the update by saving it to your hard drive.
    2. Double-click the installer file.
    3. Review the Software License Agreement, and follow the instructions to complete the installation.

    If you encounter any technical difficulties installing this update, please contact Corel Support Services.


    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    C-Bus, OH
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    So, giving it a test myself (reinstalled painter trial on win 7 RC some days ago) CPU issue is still there. idling on 40-45 when not painting and goes up to an even 50 when painting. though, drops down to 0 when on a different app. (firefox, task manager, etc.) Which is kinda ok, because when I'm not painting I'm probably looking at something else on the internet, not to say I don't want it fixed though. Bug should definitely be fixed.

    The stray dabs thing has been fixed with me for a while now actually. switching to recognition data did it on my intuos 3 (on both xp and 7) and with my intuos 4 I didn't have to change anything, they just weren't present.

    And copy/paste!


    Sketchbook


    Blog

    Fingerless Gloves

    Proxzee: I'm gonna prime your canvas with my man gesso.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Thumbs up

    I haven't had the opportunity to run through a whole illustration in 11 yet but with lots of doodling since installing the patch, I'm feeling optimistic about the strokes/dabs issue.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,238
    Thanks
    2,450
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    thank you

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #16
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The stray dabs only show up for me on really large brush sizes (I should have clarified that earlier). Something like 200 size or so.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #17
    ikken's Avatar
    ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 195 Times in 158 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Did they fix the bug with brush size changing (take any brush, change brush tool to eraser tool with "e" key or flip pen, change eraser size, go back to brush and you'll see it's blown up)?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I don't see this bug in the patched Painter 11 but then again I can't say I had it before.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paisley, Scotland
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I must have been to the Corel UK website 4 or 5 times since Painter 11 came out... placed an order for the boxed upgrade version, filled in the DEVIANTART code, and hovered my mouse button over the buy button.

    Something keeps stopping me upgrading from Painter X though. Perhaps it's a combination of how little I use Painter compared to Photoshop and the fact that a significant number of people have brought up issues with Painter 11 on many forums.

    Is it worth getting now with this hotfix patch? Sadly I tried the demo and allowed it to expire without putting it through it's paces properly. I suspect if they had an option to buy the boxed version, yet send you your key via email to allow you to use it instantly I'd have went for it... I like the reassurance of a box and physical disc while also loving instant gratification.

    So, two questions really:

    1) Is Painter 11 worth upgrading to from Painter X now with this patch?
    2) Does the boxed version offer anything significant over the download?

    I guess another question would be why the boxed and download versions cost the same... that's just baffling.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chihuahua mexico
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMalcolm1970 View Post
    I must have been to the Corel UK website 4 or 5 times since Painter 11 came out... placed an order for the boxed upgrade version, filled in the DEVIANTART code, and hovered my mouse button over the buy button.

    Something keeps stopping me upgrading from Painter X though. Perhaps it's a combination of how little I use Painter compared to Photoshop and the fact that a significant number of people have brought up issues with Painter 11 on many forums.

    Is it worth getting now with this hotfix patch? Sadly I tried the demo and allowed it to expire without putting it through it's paces properly. I suspect if they had an option to buy the boxed version, yet send you your key via email to allow you to use it instantly I'd have went for it... I like the reassurance of a box and physical disc while also loving instant gratification.

    So, two questions really:

    1) Is Painter 11 worth upgrading to from Painter X now with this patch?
    2) Does the boxed version offer anything significant over the download?

    I guess another question would be why the boxed and download versions cost the same... that's just baffling.
    Had painter X. long time ago, then bought painter 11, not regretting it, the real hard media brushes are great, especially like the new interface, and cool little details they added like color wheel resizable, the custom brushes i use works better here, probably not much of a diference, but it speed up my works.

    Downloadble version should be cheaper, or the box even higher in price, but when you buy boxes, you just have them on a desk getting dust, and my room its short of space, so i bought the downloadable version, they are both the same, because you can also download the xtras online, which i think its really cool.

    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #21
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMalcolm1970 View Post
    1) Is Painter 11 worth upgrading to from Painter X now with this patch?
    2) Does the boxed version offer anything significant over the download?

    I guess another question would be why the boxed and download versions cost the same... that's just baffling.
    1. If you have an intuos3 tablet it fixes the error of missing strokes. It also makes workspaces usable, and copy and paste working. The other errors in the previous threads are pretty much there. CPU bug and all that. So it's up to you. As Elsevilla said the hard media brushes are actually pretty cool. I don't know if it's going to run faster - I gotta give it a week or so to let you know. I also like the mixer and color wheel.

    2. Not anymore. Boxed version used to come with a manual.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Chihuahua mexico
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    1. If you have an intuos3 tablet it fixes the error of missing strokes. It also makes workspaces usable, and copy and paste working. The other errors in the previous threads are pretty much there. CPU bug and all that. So it's up to you. As Elsevilla said the hard media brushes are actually pretty cool. I don't know if it's going to run faster - I gotta give it a week or so to let you know. I also like the mixer and color wheel.

    2. Not anymore. Boxed version used to come with a manual.


    Wouldnt be nice if the INFO panel can be resizable as the color wheel panel, i find the info panel to small to really take advantage of it, well im dreaming hope fully on painter 12

    There are no such things as bad art, just tight deadlines.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Paisley, Scotland
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Snapped and bought the download upgrade version... applied the hotfix patch straight away. I've been using Painter X heavily these past few days, and working again on the same project in Painter 11 I thought I could detect an increase in brush performance. Things not being horrendously messed up at different zoom percentages is also welcome. I'm too busy working on something to take any time to really play with the new brush types and other features... but I'll have a play around with them when I can.

    I take it the canvas rotation toggle is a known irritating bug? I press ALT + SPACEBAR to toggle rotation and the focus jumps to the edit menu.... means I get a really irritating keyboard buffer beeping noise. Might be a Vista thing. Might be a Painter thing. Might be a Wacom thing (I notice than holding the 2 keys on the tablet assigned to Pan and ALT doesn't give rotation)... Hopefully they'll add more support for Intuos 4 as they go along.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 9 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Looks like they fixed the real pencil variants. I didn't like th way they behaved at default settings in Version 11.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's glad to see that Bug with missing strokes is gone...but Painter still load only one core on my dual core processor...

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lisbon, I think...
    Posts
    912
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 153 Times in 107 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    The core engine of Painter is very old, it will need more than a bug patch to "fix" that

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMalcolm1970 View Post
    I take it the canvas rotation toggle is a known irritating bug? I press ALT + SPACEBAR to toggle rotation and the focus jumps to the edit menu.... means I get a really irritating keyboard buffer beeping noise.
    You're probably aware already and are specifically referring to Alt+Spacebar in that order but just to point out (to whoever) that Rotate Canvas works when pressing Spacebar+Alt, in that order.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Call me daft, but apart from the new Marker variants, and a few Pencil variants, what other variants are classified as 'Hard Media' because with the ones I know about I don't see them as being tools i'd use in my workflow..

    Glad to hear that stray dabs bug is fixed, that would have been irritating, good thing it only happened to me a few times.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #29
    Arshes Nei's Avatar
    Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    6,802
    Thanks
    2,278
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NewmanD View Post
    It's glad to see that Bug with missing strokes is gone...but Painter still load only one core on my dual core processor...
    I believe in the specs sheet on Corel's page the only time it uses 2 cores is during transformations.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 162 Times in 127 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAP00PI View Post
    Call me daft, but apart from the new Marker variants, and a few Pencil variants, what other variants are classified as 'Hard Media' because with the ones I know about I don't see them as being tools i'd use in my workflow..
    The Chalk, Pastels, Conte, Oil Pastels, Coloured Pencils, have Real Hard/Soft Media.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •