Art: Mask scultping - questions

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Mask scultping - questions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Mask scultping - questions

Howdy all!

I've been throwing ideas/designs around in my head and on paper for a while now. I want to make a werewolf mask, of my own design. My earlier model fell apart, and I realized I really needed a plan before I tried again (I have a tendency to get excited and try to skip ahead...)

Here are the steps I've identified.

1) I need to cast my head, or at least put together a base with the same proportions. Can anyone link to or give me an idea of the best way to cast one's own head? (I will have help)

2) Build the structure--I want to use foam padding (like with a bike or baseball helmet?) and some combination of metal and/or plastic to build up a "skull" and jaw. The mask (which will be latex) will thus have something firm to hold it up/in place, and it will also allow me to have the lower jaw move independent of the main mask/with my own mouth. Does anyone have any recommendations for materials/methods? Particularly for teeth...?

3) Once I've built the base structure, I'll probably cover it in some way, and then sculpt in clay my mask over the top, to make sure everything lines up correctly. This sculpt will probably be destroyed (by necessity) but I also plan to do a sculpey bust of a similar nature that I am already working on.

4) Cast (this I've done before, but I would love a link/explanation of how folks do a split cast (or whatever you call it--I'm blanking) so I can do it in halves/more easily get it apart...

5) Assemble (!!!)

6) Paint... (I want this to look good, so if people have tips for painting on latex...?)

7) Fur... (Again, not looking like crap is ideal--fur/hair punching seems to look better, but I have no idea how this is done or how expensive it might be...?)

I'll try to post some of my sketches/designs soon, but in the meantime if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, CA!

"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill" - Blade

http://redcorvus.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(some reference sketches)

To give you a sense of my werewolf, here are some flavor sketches. I'll likely post more, and get some mask sketches up as well.

The general idea is that this is less of a wolf head on a person as a hybrid form--ape-like, bestial, but also more realistically connected to the size and shape of apes, humans and wolves--none of these giant armed, 8' tall, super-muscular furballs.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately I can't help, but I would like to say I find this very interesting and eagerly await any knowledgeable responses or links to tutorials on mask making from start to finish.

To ljefe, the only (not so great) advice I can give is to search on youtube--there are a few decent tutorial videos there, though they're not quite as in depth as I'd like and only cover parts of the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! We got the same interests! I like to make masks as well.

For life casting your head you'll need some supplies:

Plaster bandages, vaseline, a chip brush for the vaseline your eyebrows and face.
    some water. Baldcap to cover your hair

You'll need your friends to plaster over your face front side first then the back side.

I'd recommend going to youtube & google and look up "life casting a face/head."

There are more complicated techniques such as using Alginate plus plaster bandages.
    Then essentially making a 2 part mold for a plaster pour to create a plaster lifecast that you can sculpt on. THe FX industry does it this way. If I lived next door to you I'd help.

But that technique requires some experience as the alginate is a use once and use quick only product. Its also not cheap but it does yield very accurate results.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't help you with everything, but:

Alginate is great stuff - If you can find a fairly local/cheap source go for it. Otherwise, just be a bit careful with the plaster
    - MikeLoh is right on with the Youtube suggestion: there are loads of great lifecasting videos to watch.

Hair punching is easy and cheap. It just takes a while. A hair punch is just a needle with the eye clipped in half at an angle. And held in a X-Acto-style scalpel handle.

I picked up a load of fake hair pretty cheaply. Nothing fancy and nothing natural. You can get away with punching in great big chunks of hair and it will look fine. if you're only bulking out. It's only when you get to the edge of the hairline that you need to be really neat.

Looks interesting though - keep us posted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile i can give you some help

hi, i was searching a little bit in my stuff and find some old tutorial for "mask making",maybe posting that here is going against the rules i supose, so PM me if you are interested ^__^

[sorry for my bad english]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Here's some vids I've done, might help....

Life Casting

Mold making

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, everyone! Some really good stuff. I'm in the middle of a move right now, but hopefully I'll get started on this over the summer.

Anyone have any thoughts about part 2, the structure?

2) Build the structure--I want to use foam padding (like with a bike or baseball helmet?) and some combination of metal and/or plastic to build up a "skull" and jaw. The mask (which will be latex) will thus have something firm to hold it up/in place, and it will also allow me to have the lower jaw move independent of the main mask/with my own mouth. Does anyone have any recommendations for materials/methods? Particularly for teeth...?
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out these websites. Lots of good tutorials and pro's/enthusiasts willing to help.

http://www.theeffectslab.com/

http://www.monstermakers.com/content/howto.html

Cool wolf sketches, btw. Good luck w/your mask.

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.