Art: Storn Art's thread - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks. Hope you don't mind some self promotion here.

Trying to figure out a few things as I go along. I'm trying out an experiment with selling originals over the internet. I've got hundreds of sketches and inked drawings kicking around... and I sell some of them at conventions. But they do take up space and if they can find loving homes, and I can make a few bucks... that would be icing on cake!!!

So bear with me as I throw up the occasional older piece to see what will sell and what won't. If you have an suggestions of what you would like to see for sale from art I've put up in the past, don't be shy and shoot me a comment or email.

So, today, I'm putting up this fine inked drawing that I just did a few days ago for sale over at my Fine Art site. Site is here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

The art is this one, you will recognize from the color version I just put up recently. It is a brush ink drawing done on sketch paper. Nuthin' fancy.

Storn Art's thread

Also, while I'm being all self-promote-y, LPJ design just posted another one of my portfolios up. This time fantasy, containing some older stuff as well as some of the recent fantasy pics I've put up here. So, if you want good print quality images, instead of the 72 dpi guys you swipe here, check it out:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.p...ducts_id=99389

And a NEW pic certainly destined to be in a future fantasy portfolio is right here. Don't say I ain't givin' y'all sumthin' new to ponder! <g>

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling
    http://www.stornc.rpggallery.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Storn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!
    Jeff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lafferty View Post
    Nice work!
    Jeff

Thanks!!

So, a couple of nights ago, I had insomnia. I have insomnia quite a bit, I'm afraid. And I'm not even a night person. Nope, I'm of the dreaded few, a morning person. Often, it is good things that keep me awake... like musing on art.

I will turn and toss a piece of art around in my mind, bringing in colors and design elements, switching camera angle and thinking about setting and mediums. Inspiration can really keep me up nights.

The other day, I got a facebook message from Matt Forbeck, a great game designer and all around cool guy, about his new Kickstart project called Shotguns and Sorcery. Stupidly, I didn't go the project website or do any research. I was going to do that the next day as when I read the message, I was almost done for the working day. So. I went to bed with Matt's Shotguns and Sorcery title kicking around in my noggin and awoke at 3 in the morning.

And I came up with an image, the sketch below, which I thought was kinda cool. I manage to fall asleep for a bit, waking again at 7ish and went straight to the drawing board to jot down what I had worked out in my mind. I quickly scanned it in, jotted a few notes in photoshop and sent it to Matt. Problem is, it is TOTALLY wrong for Shotguns and Sorcery. Shotguns and Sorcery isn't a western-fantasy mash up, it is a Noir-Fantasy mashup. I should have read the site. But still, I like the sketch. Glad I did it. Maybe somewhere down the road a project might find a place for it to live.

And I thought y'all might like to see a quickie preliminary cover idea sketched out, along with how I think about stuff written in the margins. And get a chuckle out of my knuckle headedness.

Here is a link to Matt Forbeck's project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sorcery-novels

And here is my erroneous sketch:

Storn Art's thread

Also, on a different tact, another superhero (or villain, not sure, didn't get that distinction in the art direction) for long time patron Death Tribble. Pencils were done over a couple of our "working lunches". Ethan Young and Steve Ellis are both local artists who've I've been hanging out with quite a bit. I did working lunch in quotations because, 1) we go a lot longer than lunch, 4-5 hours. 2) We actually get a lot done. It is almost like working in an old 30s-40s studio situation. So nice to have another couple of eyes looking at your work. The camaraderie is really nice and keeps one motivated. And we learn a lot from each other. I think we will be doing a lot more of it in the future.

Now, I just have to finish the 4-6 sketches that need to go to finishes!

Here is Supersuit:

Storn Art's thread

See y'all in a few!

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First up, we have an "indiana jones" like bard. That was in the art brief. I'll let y'all decide if I succeeded.

Storn Art's thread

Next up, we have Skip. Skip is single. He is a Mind Flayer (or Illithid among his own kind). He likes walks on the beach during sunny dawns. He loves puppies. He has a steady job as a top notch barber. He plays whist. And Ladies, he is a budding top notch amateur gourmet french cook.

Storn Art's thread

yup. another death tribble production!! <g>

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup. I'm involved in another Kickstarter project. And folks, I really hope this one gets off the ground, because I really, really want to do the "old school" dungeon module cover for it. I worked up a bit of art for the interior, "The Beast", hopefully to drum up some support for JB Mannon and At The Table games.

Here is the blurb that At The Table provided me:

Within the Devil's Reach is a group of three adventures all set in the backwater town of Devil's Reach. The town was already about as close to hell as you could get but things are getting worse. All three adventures are great intro adventures for the Dungeon World Roleplaying Game. Dungeon World is a light weight game that is focused on delivering an old school, dungeon crawl experience.

Now I haven't had the opportunity to play Dungeon World, but it gets great buzz from Story Games. More importantly to me, my good friend Judd, has really enjoyed running it. From what I can tell, it is D&D old school, but lighter and tightly integrated mechanics with a lot of flavor for each "class" you play. Kinda the best of "old school" combined with "new school" game design. Dungeon World is reasonably priced too, although only available at the moment as a pdf, print is coming out this Gencon.

Here is a link to the kickstarter from At The Table: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tures?ref=card

Here is a link to Dungeon World itself: http://www.dungeon-world.com/

And here is my teaser art, "The Beast". I haven't inked in some time for a project that is to remain black and white. I ink all the time for my "superhero style", so it was fun to go back to an old friend and ink this up as a piece of black and white artwork.

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Storn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is odd how sometimes character concepts and commissions seem to run in similar thematics. I remember getting a few years ago, 3 speedster archtypes in a month. While 2 is not quite a trend, they did sorta tumble into my to do queue at the same time.

First up, we have a samurai for Death Tribble that called for a pretty straight forward treatment in the concept description.

Storn Art's thread

Next, we have a character from a Legends of the Five Rings campaign. A monk who started out in the Spider Clan, became disillusioned, and went over to the Phoenix clan. But the white swash is symbolic of Takijiro being of two worlds. (Very similar to my own Tsuntake PC who was of Dragon Clan, but his mom was Unicorn and she died saving a lot of face for the Dragon, so Tsuntake was raised knowing he would go serve Shinjo Shoji of the Unicorn...also a young man of two worlds.)

Storn Art's thread

Lastly, for today, I've got another one done for Inkwell's Monster Project kickstart. This time, I got to do a White Dragon. Dragons are tough. So many artists before me have done Dragons, hard to bring your own stamp on it. I think it is informative to show my mistakes and missteps. The first draft of this was rejected by Inkwell and rightly so...although when I had done it, I was too close to it and thought it was fine. I was rather happy with it. But after it's rejection, I started to see its flaws and a talk with my wife about it really cemented that it, well, sucked... and that I needed to do better. So here is the first sketch:

Storn Art's thread

And here is what a good art director, a good wife, a couple of tossed away sketches, and drawing with chums at a coffee shop can accomplish. In my opinion, so much better. Joe over at Inkwell deserves a lion share of the credit for pointing out a much better wing attach to body arrangement. I also wanted to say that I really enjoy working in light colors sometimes. It is fun to do almost watercolor over pencils digitally.

Storn Art's thread

Let me know what y'all think...

And here is the link to Inkwell's Monster Project kickstart in case anyone missed it before and are interested: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ster-stock-art

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up man?

I like the dragon you did, but that ink form yesterday totally caught my eye.

Good work man. Kick ass.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    What's up man?

I like the dragon you did, but that ink form yesterday totally caught my eye.

Good work man. Kick ass.
    Thank you very much!!! I appreciate you taking the time and writing. I was really excited to do the ink piece since I hadn't done any inking for its own sake in awhile. It was like coming home to a warm fire. I don't want to ink all the time... but it sure is fun to do it on giant monster thingees.

Two commissions, but first I wanted to let folks know that 6 supers are up in the latest portfoilo from moi and LPJ designs. So. If you are looking for superheroes (or villains) clipart that is print quality and reasonably priced, look NO further. Well.... look further by clicking on the link provided. This, by the way, is my 15th!!!! portfolio. So thanks to all the patrons who keep my drawing their characters and cranking away.

Here is the link: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.p...ucts_id=100228

This commission has been done for awhile and goes with the fantasy group that I've posted earlier. But I simply forgot to stuff it onto my photobucket so I could link it here and show it off. I like this one, I felt that young mage as gunfighter was kinda fun concept to play off.

Storn Art's thread

Next is another for patron unstoppable, Death Tribble and it is request for a cheongsam wearing korean (beautiful) martial artist. This was a fun one to do because I was breaking in a new brush pen from Pentel that I picked up that day. To be honest, the paper was bleeding just slightly and I spent a bit more time doing clean up than I liked. But the brush itself, the Pentel GFKp rocked for doing the inking. I usually ink with winter sable kolinkskys from Weber, dipping it in india ink (or sometimes using dip pens too, depends on my mood). But the GFKp (I have no idea what the initials stand for) is a nice portable inking tool.

And since I was working at one of our Thursday coffee shop work sessions, I bought the Pentel GFKp (not easy to type that) at our brand new awesome art store that happens to be right NEXT door to the coffee shop! How cool is that? Well, y'all out there in internet land probably don't care... but I think it is very cool. Went in for a new kneaded eraser and came out with a very cool new tool. By far the best mechanical brush pen I've used.

Anyway, that was waaay too long discussion about my passion over art supplies. Here is the art and I will shut up. Enjoy!

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things have been really, really busy here at Studio Storn. I just spent a wonderful extended weekend in Ohio and Michigan. My step-grandfather passed at 89 in Dayton and he had a wonderful life and a wonderful family. I love 'em to pieces. So, please, no condolences. So, we passed through my old haunts in Michigan on the way to the memorial. Had a wonderful time with Eric, Rick and Neil, my old gaming buds. Had an awesome time at the memorial seeing family I haven't seen in decades. It was a very happy time!

And oddly, the best service in Ann Arbor ever! Way better than when I actually lived there. Kudos to Zingermans and Red Tractor BBQ. Just the nicest folks working there. Millie, my wife, loved Ann Arbor.

Getting back to the studio has been really busy with my NDA project and wrapping up other projects. So I have not been posting anything. I've got a couple of things to lay on ya.

First. I don't do many logos... but Darren Watts, formerly of Hero Games, asked me to do this one, because I've done Apes for him before. He is starting up a publishing company called Silverback Press. Here is a link to Silverback's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SilverbackPress

And here is the logo:
    Storn Art's thread

Next up is a private commission I of a character I believe is in a 7th Sea/ Legends of 5 Rings game.... so I went sorta fantasy-ish in that direction.
    Storn Art's thread

Lastly. Another LPJ Portfolio of my clip art work has come out. This one is fantasy, some pics are much more fully illustrated than the single figure, no background thing. A preview is available here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/100689...%3A-Storn-Cook

So. Yeah. Posting from me is going to slow down a bit, as I won't have tons of new art to show as I work on the new NDA project. Millie's daughter has moved in with us, she will be going to school at Tompkins Cortland Community College for free, where Millie is a professor. And we might have to seek a bigger house. I so love moving.

I know that I have one painting that has been done for a couple of weeks, just waiting on the client to get his ducks in a row, so I can give him some free guerrilla marketing. And I will hopefully get some of the smaller commissions out here and there as we go along. Check back in a few days!

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storn Art's threadI got a chance to do a druid with red pandas. Not sure if they are her "familiars" or just something she has come across.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *phew* It has been awhile since I've posted anything. I've been doing my art and I've had things to post, but I've been trying to put to bed the first 8 pages of the comic I'm doing for Time Tribe.

Why I am bringing this up, is because Time Tribe has just launched their kickstarter looking for some funding. Here is the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adventure-game

But just to give you some background, Time Tribe is a video game. I'm doing some artwork for the in-game comic book, where pages will be unlocked as the player proceeds through the game. It is a game aimed at kids and teaching them history as the 4 young kid protagonists have the ability to travel through time to visit various eras. I could tell you more but the link will be a lot more clear and succinct than my poor writing skills.

Luckily, I have other skills. Like drawing. And my clients have given me permission to put up 2 pieces of artwork. Actually, I will be putting up 3, as 2 images are of the same thing... the gift shop. The first sketch I did was not the right angle and when I got a map of the actual mansion where the kids live and explore helped tremendously, so I wanted to show my evolution to the 2nd one. They really needed a ground floor view for the video game in-scene. Unfortunately, I never finished the gift shop as I had to move onto painting some NPCs and get started on the comic pages.
    Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

And here is an example of the digital color over pencils style I'm using for the comic pages. This happens to be page 13 (we are doing them out of order because certain pages are needed in-game more dearly than others).

Storn Art's thread

So. There you have it. A taste of what has been consuming much of my time over the last month or so. Hope you are intrigued. If you have kids, really consider backing Time Tribes... I think it is an awesome way to spark some interest in history.

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The comic project for Time Tribe took quite a bit of time. Then I took some time off for mini-vacation and then launched into an oil painting for a cover that I will share here in a mo'.

So I've been terrible about posting and showing artwork, partly, because I didn't have much I could show. Now that Time Tribe is in the can, I can share a finished page with y'all. And the cover of When In Rome written by Kate Jackman.

I have another oil painting that is almost done of a group of D&D characters in a group shot... already created in my single figure pics an posted here.

After that, it is back to chipping away at my backlog of character commissions and trying to catch up.

So, here is page 17 of Time Tribes with the "money shot" of the kids running off towards adventure!

Storn Art's thread

And here is the cover to the upcoming novel "When in Rome"...which from what I've gathered is actually the name of the main character. And it is a sci fi novel, despite most of the trappings being more renaissance.

Storn Art's thread

So. I will try to get art and posts up more frequently now. I never really went away, I've just been very busy.

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have been working on this oil painting off and on for quite some time...having started it in the middle of the Time Tribes project, then having to rush a couple of other jobs in front of it and lastly, having appendicitis and going into the hospital suddenly. I am fine and recovering. Just played light tennis saturday night. I can resume swimming in the lake this coming Saturday. So, no worries. But it did enforce a serious art break.

Past viewers might recognize this party as private commissions I did earlier in the year.
    Storn Art's thread

Then, here is another concept from Death Tribble.. Eskimo Knell.
    Storn Art's thread

And lastly, I've got an Elven archer (or aka Noldor in Prophesy of Pendor).
    Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I got the chance to do some art for a very intriguing kickstart called Sixcess Core Rulebook. They've given me the approval to show some of the art and to do a wee bit of guerrilla marketing for them.

The link will take you to the kickstarter, with a nice video, and there is a quick start pdf available too.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-core-rulebook

And here is some of the art that I did for them. First up, is a painted piece that was asked to be a "faux" Tarzan. We talked about how to make it a bit different than the Tarzan we know. Red hair was requested and that led me down a sorta viking cum jungle man character. And since the game is capable of multi-genre, it was asked to have a hodge podge of genre characters being stalked. The Harsh Realities crew asked specifically for the stalked characters, like Star trek wannabe and cowboy. I didn't make them up.

Storn Art's thread

Next up is a sorta Mexican-cowboy-shaman. The character illustrations were requested to be done in my digital color over line art. So, I complied. This was a really cool concept presented to me by the Harsh Realities crew. I think they have very solid imaginations, I got to draw some characters that were a bit different for me.... and that is really saying something, considering how many character concept illustrations I've done over the years.

Storn Art's thread

And here is the last one I'm gonna show (if ya wanna see more of my art, go support the kickstarter! <g>... my blatant attempt to always leave 'em wantin' more!). I really like Torque, as I came up with a bit of action to show off her post apocalyptic vibe. Of course, y'all are better judges than I. I'm always waaay to close to my artwork to really see what people like or don't like.

Storn Art's thread

p.s. I've also been involved in the preliminary stages of a kickstarter aimed at Mutants and Masterminds ruleset. Those folks are not quite ready to put up their kickstart, when they do, I will let y'all know about it!

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mentioned that I would let you know about another kickstarter, this time, aimed at making a bunch of villains for the superhero role playing game, Mutants and Masterminds.

Okay. That was a bit of a run on sentence. But I'm leaving it. Because I'm amused. Sorry, that kind of day, as I'm knee deep in digital work for Legend of the Five Rings Collectable Card Game. Painting always leaves me a bit loopy.

Anyway, Robert Grady, the man behind this Kickstarter, had me do one art piece as a sample. So, first, here is the link to the Kickstarter: http://kck.st/VkW0KQ

And here be the art:
    Storn Art's thread

Seems pretty interesting bad guys for a pretty awesome game. Check it out!

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My latest collection of fantasy pics for my clipart portfolio series is up at RPGnow. Link is here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/107417...ilters=0_0_0_0

This collection has 6 different pics, ranging from a jungle ranger to a sorceress to a studly swordsman. Check it out. A sneak peak of all the art is available, so you can see what you are getting. All the pics are print resolution.

Just to whet the appetite, here is the cover to the collection.

Storn Art's thread

I also have more from the fertile mind of Death Tribble. He wanted a "real six shooter" loup garou and a boxing british bulldog. His wish is my command!

Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More from the fertile imaginings of patron extraordinaire, Death Tribble. Nuff said.

Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even more from Death Tribble! A new take on the ol' D&D monster, Shambling Mound, with instructions to not make it massive.
    Storn Art's thread

And a MothMan, super villain... meybe... super hero. Wasn't clear from the description. But a bit more on the super spandex set than I've done for awhile. It was fun to return to doing that. Hope y'all enjoy!!!
    Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Josh Mannon, the guy behind Within the Devil's Reach, is starting up another kickstarter. This time it is another 3 linked adventures connecting into Within the Devil's Reach storyline. Called Skies over Danbury. Although, from what I understand, you could do these adventures separately too. Both adventure books are for the game system Dungeon World.

If the kickstart succeeds, I will be doing the art for Skies over Danbury. So. I really hope that it does. I enjoyed doing the art for Within the Devil's Reach quite a bit. To give a little visual indication to both Josh and y'all of where I wanted to go cover wise, I worked up a preliminary sketch, very preliminary, and gave it a bit of a underpainting treatment.

I present it here to whet your appetites and to show a rare behind-the-scenes stage of what goes into a painting. Hope you like and I hope you will check out Josh's kickstarter link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rld-adventures

Here is the underpainting for Skies over Danbury:

Storn Art's thread

p.s. I haven't played Dungeon World yet, but after flipping through my swag copy of Within the Devil's Reach, I SURE DO want to. And it seems very cool how Within the Devil's Reach has questions of the players to set up parameters for the adventures to be forthcoming.

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some very stong work here. I like your pencils. As for your paintings, I prefer your more painterly style pieces. Those are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorinji_Knight View Post
    You have some very stong work here. I like your pencils. As for your paintings, I prefer your more painterly style pieces. Those are great!
    Thank you so much Shorinji. I'm finding painting a very difficult thing to do. But I love doing it and I keep banging my head against it, hoping to get better.

more art...

My sister recently cleaned out my parents barn (just so you think I'm not heartless, I helped too). The barn had become a holding place for all kinds of treasures...and my sister held a huge garage sale to help with her books for college. One of these "treasures" is a bit of art I did, sometime between 10-12. I'm not sure how old I was. I remember doing this piece of art. It was during classes. I'm thinking 8th grade, but it might have been some other time too. So. Without further ado, here is a piece of art from the beginning of my career. The really EARLY part of my career. Hope y'all get a chuckle. I certainly did seeing it again.

Storn Art's thread

And to see perhaps, some of my path... I recently got a chance to do three female characters from the same Exalted game.

Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another in a series of Exalted females for Paul L. This one is a bit more horrific in its description as being during or just after bloody battle. And oh yeah, this is the first piece of digital art done with my combo birthday/Xmas present... a brand new, 22 inch, Cintiq!!!!! Oh, by all the angels of art, what a difference from a wacom tablet!!! I am one happy, jumping with joy, boy.

Note: It isn't completely digital, I did scan in fairly tight pencils done on vellum. All the color was done digitally.

Storn Art's thread

Next is the first of three Angels that I'm doing for Xmas presents for Millie's family. I did a couple of angeds last time I was in Puerto Rico, on the spot, with cheap travel watercolors. We are heading for Puero Rico for my first PR Xmas, something I'm quite looking forward to!

Now, I'm taking my time and doing these in acrylic... a medium I haven't used in quite some time, but wanting to give it a go again. Inspired to go that route from a couple of coffee table talks with local friends n artists like Jeff Szuc and Steve Ellis!

It is interesting to be tackling Christian iconology... I am not a christian (very wayward jew, btw)... yet being an american, immersed in a Wasp environment, married into a Catholic one, it feels different to be painting angels as opposed to, oh, I don't know, valkyries or medusas from other religions. Like it is weird to be "right next door" to a subject matter, but apart from it too. It ain't like hundreds of famous artists haven't done angels or anything... sheesh. Yet, I feel somewhat blasphemous for tackling a subject I don't believe in..... I don't believe in medusas or valkyries... for the record.

As I was doing this, I was struck how similar doing an angel is and doing many a female superheroine. Maybe it is just my habits are so practiced they are now hard wired into my muscle memory.

Anyway, time to shut up and put up the artwork....

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aweosme comic work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Storn Art's thread

I love that one so much. It's so nicely rendered and and the composition is awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks MrBigCheese!

Prints, Portfolios, Princesses and Poignards!

Okay, maybe not a poignard, but I needed a 4th "p" for my alliteration. The dude does have a rapier!

So, a couple of folks asked about prints of a couple of recent pics... you can find several pieces of art available for prints in all kinds of sizes and formats here:

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

Let me know if there are pics I've posted up that you would like to see as prints and I will put them up too!

Next, I have a new clipart portfolio up through LPJ Designs, featuring recent fantasy pics. Check that out here:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/108714...ilters=0_0_0_0

And now! More Art (yah!)

First up, the next in the Xmas Angel series... here is my Cerulean Angel.
    Storn Art's thread

Next, is another in the Exalted series for Paul L. Although it is Exalted, working from Paul's descriptions, I am interpreting a more restrained visual look than the usual Exalted gonzo/anime/over the top stylings I've seen from other sources.
    Storn Art's thread

And lastly, a fencing Spaniard for Death Tribble...
    Storn Art's thread

Keep the comments coming, love to hear what folks think!

Til next time...

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ftjedi!

Well, Millie encouraged me to make Xmas cards. So I did the obligatory cat Xmas card starring our cats, Chrissie and Baby. Chrissie is the one wearing the santa hat. So this is the cute. Down with watered down acrylic ink.

Storn Art's thread

Then we have a dear friend who is a major horror fan. Last year, I did a zombie Xmas. This year, well, how about Vampire Xmas. So, Bloody. Maybe next Xmas will be hairy (ie Loup Garou). Another acrylic, done on these cool watercolor cards that I acquired along the way somewhere. By the way, although the font was hand done, it was based on a pencil transfer from Blambot's excellent YouMurderer font.

Storn Art's thread

Lastly, the divine, the last in my triad of angels.

Storn Art's thread

I will put all three of these up on my FineArt America. They can make nice cards and such.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

I'm off to Puerto Rico for Christmas. I hope to do some art while down there. I'll post it when I get back.

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Death Tribble wanted an Evil Whale. My first go around tried to animorphasize the beastie, but DT really wanted a pretty straight up baleen whale. I gave it a bit of a "chin" growth and red eyes to hopefully push it a bit into 'eeeeevvvviilll!!" territory. But I'm not sure.

Storn Art's thread

This is another in Paul T's Exalted femme fatale series. This time, it is Red Lotus Blossom, described to me as a redhead (but using an actresses very orange hair color), wearing red, and being a "sword princess" but with a naginata (if I preferred.. yes, I preferred! <g> I get to draw swords all the time, naginatas are much more rare!)

Storn Art's thread

p.s. Really, really diggin' my Cintiq!!!

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back from 2 weeks in Puerto Rico! Back to the studio! Back to the drawing board!

While I haven't posted much art of late, I have been busy doing art and now I can share some of it with you. First up, another oddball concept from Death Tribble. This time I was the one who pushed for doing the head inside the chest...originally, it was supposed to be a helmet with water/fluid suspending the disembodied head. I wanted to push the concept just a tad further and this is what I came up with...

Additionally, it is the first time I've done digital inks in a long time, and the first time on my wacom Cintiq. I was pretty fast and more importantly, happy with the result. Much, much easier than inking on a wacom tablet.
    Storn Art's thread

Next up is another private commission... Warrior with mystic sword.. the patron went into some detail on how the sword was all jaggedy and energized.
    Storn Art's thread

Next are two images from the first kickstarter I'm discussing today. These are from "The Skies of Danbury"... a follow up to the "Within the Devil's Reach" adventure. This is for the game, Dungeon World. The cover, followed up by an interior. You can find the already-funded Skies of Danbury kickstart here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rld-adventures

Storn Art's thread

Storn Art's thread

And for superhero lovers, this is an image for a Mutants and Masterminds Villains pack. Link to that is here and this worthy project is NOT funded yet, so it could use your help:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ed-by-mandm-rp

Storn Art's thread

note: This was also digitally inked.

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Robert, of the Do Not Approach-- Mutants and Masterminds villain gallery kickstart, wrote me with a correction. The link in the previous post was to an older kickstart, here is the link to the correct one: http://kck.st/TlXrpB. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

Here is a fresh off the tablet commission, the first of 7, involving vampire hunters and their prey.

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple of fantasy pics. Trying to get a tad more movement and action into these character concept shots. It isn't always appropriate, due to the tone or personality of the character... but I try to remember to do action occasionally instead of just a pose where possible. Let y'all be the judges... enjoy!

I've done Wilson down there twice before. He has been upgraded with mystical armor, as per the patron's request.

Storn Art's thread

And to make this guy's 2 handed warhammer a bit on the large side. I aim to please. Should I have pushed it even further? To, say, some anime or online MMO stylings of large hammers? I still shirk towards the realm of "somewhat believable . Again, y'all be the judges!

Storn Art's thread

Storn A. Cook
    visual storytelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 48