Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Suggestions for my environment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Suggestions for my environment

Name:  landsmall.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  41.4 KBHi i'm working on this dry kinda waste land type painting. I wanted to get some tips on what I should do. I do kinda want to put a castle like structure in the background. At first I was going to have a path created by a space ship crash landing. I tried to make a cool visual on how hot the ship was when crashing by having the sand turn into glass. I later decided to keep it simple by just having a path with no ship. I might add a caravan traveling in the path. I do want to incoporate the golden mean rule, but I'm not sure I fully understand it. I know its a spiral and things are to be noticed in the sections.

Last edited by pc626; May 20th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mountains look pretty weird... they're all basically the same shape. Also mountains are rarely so pointy. It is an alien world though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes the mountains are kinda bothering me too. I'm going to look at some refference pictures. It's still kinda in sketch mode for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I changed the mountains. Now I'm thinkin bout making a bridge that connects from the mountains to the castle. Not sure, still workin on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey PC,

I'm by no means an expert, but maybe these suggestions will help.

Watch the shapes on your mountains. I know you're going for a stylized mountain to fit the environment, but there are a lot of repeating shapes and shading that creates tangents which are just weird to look at. I've done some scribbles in pink to suggest how you might break up the repetitive lines somewhat. I'd also work on defining different masses in your mountains. Right now they read as one hot spikey muddle instead of a three dimensional mountain range that dips and moves dynamically. That can probably be fixed with shading too. But you want to push some of the distant spikes back and pull some of the forward ones forward. Try to really get a miniature fore, middle, and back ground

I think some of the murkiness and tangent issues can be solved with shading. Like the shapes, there are a lot of repeats and really weird symmetry even when there are a-symmetrical shapes involved. I've done some more scribbles in red to some of the repeats in both form and shading. The shading will also help give your mountains variety since all of those little fissures and surface textures will grab light differently in different areas.

Might also consider adding some sort of really strong, dynamic foreground something. Add another level of dynamism. And depth.

But yeah...main points...
    Watch out for soft, repeating shapes and shading.

Not sure if this will be helpful or not. Digital painting's not really my thing. Mostly I scribble in pen than throw the picture away. But this is sort of a "What would Freddy do" if this were my picture.

Good luck with the painting!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks freddy, I'm gonna do some more editing to this painting. I still have much to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K, I changed some things. I like what I did by putting a waterfall in the background. I hope it's not too much. I just wanted to tell a better story. I also put light beacons around the fortress in the event guards notice enemies coming in certain directions. I am stll thinking about adding a caravan or a traveler in the path.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's much better. You could add more texture to the road or at least the sides. There should at least be a couple of rocks here and there on the road

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ink, so the stuff in the background is'nt too much?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking loads better.

Might suggest losing the one tower on the left side.
    It looks almost too strong and that's without colour.
    Whether the stuff in the back becomes too bold may depend on your rendering.
    Right now it looks like your horizon line has jumped because the road ends very abruptly...in water!

Bridge in the future?

But looking good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually the only water that will be visable will be the waterfalls. That thing in the center is a blockade, or a dam. the pool of water will not be visable since its behind the dam. There is a small bridge to the middle area that crosses over to the fort or castle in the middle. So basically the smaller fort to the right needs access to the middle structure by crossing over the water just above the last waterfall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is where i'm at right now. I still have lots of painting to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy with life stuff, but this is where i'm at currently. Still playing with things a bit. Still have a lot of painting to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good PC however try to keep in mind atmospheric perspective. As things go further back in the distance they become lower in contrast compared to the foreground. Take a look at some photography images of mountains and canyons as well and you will see what I am talking about. Regardless great improvement so far keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im far from expert too but these are my suggestions and my paintover:

1. Format - Your 800x600 format feels awkward to me, Id stretch it out to be more of a cinematic format.

2. composition - i wouldnt worry about the rendering and stuff as much, just keep playing with the rock shapes, i also lowered the tower in the back and filled the sides in with less busy area for the eyes to rest a bit. Waterfalls were a great idea, id add another one to the left just for fun. The path seems to dark and a dried up riverbed type thing would be nice to break it up and lead the eyes in.

3. color - super subjective but id push it more, i just pushed it a bit with color balance and a yellow gradient set to a really low opacity. I also lightened the sky a bit just to make the composition less left-heavy. Lastly I went over with some quick color dodge to punch the mountains shapes

4. atmosphere - just went over with some lighter colors for the farthest elements. Also used the sky color over the mountains to push them back more, the scale was a bit off.

Hope this helps a bit.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xxEnder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for stopping by xxender. I never really intended to add water to my dried up river. But somehow when you added water over that area, it made it more pleasant to look at. I was scared of adding water to the dried up river because it would have been expected. I also did plan to blur things out in the background just as you did. I actually did like how you made the yellows more bright.

This is my first environmental piece, so I want it to be the best. In the paintings originality, the size is 3300 by 2550. I actually agree it needs to be wider. The left side was bothering me as well. I'm going to play with it a bit, and also darken the back mountains to push them further back. I also will be reshaping some parts of the mountains.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glad i could help

As for it being your first and best, keep in mind the next will almost ALWAYS be better.

I read your comments earlier about that river area but the first time i saw it, especially with the waterfalls, my mind was like oooo, trickled water leaking through! And That flat area closer to the city would catch more light and bring more attention to the city area.

Also its not always the case but typically things further away get lighter, so the mountains should get lighter not darker, like the way I glazed over them with the light blue, darker can work but its rare that it works well.

Also don't be afraid of reference, professionals use reference up the wazoo (whatever a wazoo is), grand canyon might be nice, or study your favorite environment artists processes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.