Thanks

TECH: I need to upgrade my laptop

Hey guys, i was wondering if anybody could help me with some laptop related stuff.

The thing is, my only computer is a Dell inspiron 4150 laptop. It was very good (especially for a laptop) just over a year ago (1,6ghz, 256ram, ati mobility radeon 7500 32mb).

Anyway, I need to upgrade my video card to be able to play the newest games (prince of persia for instance). I am thinking something like Ati Mobility Radeon 9600. This brings me to my questions.

1. Is it a certainty that it will fit my Inspirion 4150 ?

and

2. Will this turn up the heat to a serious level, would I need to upgrade my fan?

And if I feel that I'm not content with the computer.

3. What else would you recommend upgrading, and do you know where I could get info on those things for laptops on-line?

and last, but not least.

4. Has anyone here actually messed with the internals of a laptop (dell perhaps). Is it alot harder than PC... I've gotta watch my budget you see.

Any help greatly appreciated :chug:
    Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not a labtop expert so my opinions are gonna be educated guesses.

I think you need to order a special type of card, they come smaller I think (I don't know though, it has to be smaller, how could all of the stuff fit in there?). If I was you, I'd upgrade to a Radion with atleast 64mb ram on it. Also, upgrade your ram from 256 to 512.

You'll need more ram to be able to use the new video card. I mean, you could use it w/o the ram but you'd have to turn down the graphics setting so you don't lag in-game.

Thanks
    Originally posted by AnarchyAo2
    I think you need to order a special type of card, they come smaller I think (I don't know though, it has to be smaller, how could all of the stuff fit in there?).
    Yes, they do have the "mobility" versions(4 times as expensive), I was just wondering if all mobility versions would 100% fit all laptops? I feel that it should, but I feel i'm being more hopeful than anything.

You'll need more ram to be able to use the new video card. I mean, you could use it w/o the ram but you'd have to turn down the graphics setting so you don't lag in-game.
    Ok, thanks alot bro, I'll do that

cheers :chug:
    Wanted: 30 chinamen and a zeppelin for an elaborate practical joke... can you help?

Thanks
    if i were you id save my money for a desktop computer. they are way cheaper and better, laptops cost alot to upgrade too and just isnt worth it...get a desktop.
    Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Well I love my laptop, i'm not giving up on it 'til I can afford a super super desktop that would make me forget about the joys of playing computer games while on an airplane or being able to get your computer in a laptop and set up your stuff at a lan party within 2 minutes (that gives you 18-23 minutes to practice on bots)

:chug:

Thanks
    Well, my personal preference is a desktop. I"m really into online gaming, so in-order for me to play online, I've gotta be hooked up to my cable at home. Labtops arn't the best gaming machines but if your always on the go, then the sacrifice is well worth it.

Also, your question about the size. When your going to order video card, they should be a mobility section of the website/store. If they have different sizes then you'll have to find out what size you need for your labtop.
    You best chance of finding out is going to your manual. If you don't have the manual. Go to Start-Run-Type in Dxdiag. Don't worry, its nothing bad, I just brings up window that shows every piece of hardware in your system. There should be a graphics tab, or a section on the main screen with info about your video card.

I'm not sure if the dxdiag thing will work because I've never tried it on a labtop so its just a guess.

Oh yeah! About the ram, you need to see what PCI number it has. You might have to go into your labtop and pull out a stick of ram to see. There should be a label on it that says "PCI-----", or if you labtop is newer, it may have DDR ram. So, you need to get the same PCI number for your new ram.
    Hope i helped

Thanks
    Hope i helped
    You helped A LOT!! Thanks so much :chug: