Thunderdome Round 3 Discussion...the winners etc...

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,291 Times in 2,826 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, can i get a link to those filthy poo munchers final submissions?

<EDIT>

Ne'ermind
    Here it is.

Last edited by Grooveholmes; November 3rd, 2002 at 01:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this was judged very well.. too many very nice pieces to choose from, that's for sure. Some that really stood out for me (other than those who won.. and those stood out for sure) were mcotie's, Lono's, Hedrus', Jason's, brasshorsekillers, Batterram's.. to name just a few (which is hard to do because I am sure I've left out some damn fine submissions). I think everybody did a great job! Congratz to the winners and good job to the rest

Last edited by oglzogl; November 3rd, 2002 at 01:38 AM.

eggbeater Guest
    I just gotta say, this was a complete class act all the way. Congrats to everyone that contributed, what a cool thing to watch transpire!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok.. my vote would go as follows:

1. Tie between the two of andrews posts: His third entry and the last post, the wheeled monstrosity.

2. Nivbed's frost dogs.

3. Mcoties Badass hellhounds.

Everyone did a killer job though, congrats to the winners!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think there were a lot of really good pieces from both sides. on the concept side i think the strongest were (of course) andrews, jasons, mcnally, mcotie, and lono. these are all very strong pieces, and they are really solid creature concepts. i think they would be able to hold out very well in battle.

mcoties war dogs are fast and fierce, and seem they could slip in and out of battle before the other side knew what hit them.

both jasons and andrews pieces are hard hitters. they are big and grotesque, and capable of mass destruction. i think they would represent the heavy assault team.

lonos creature is very unique, and a very cool idea. although it may suffer in the battle department due to its lack of maneuverability and its small attack range (blind spots to the sides and back)

mcnallys is also very cool. seems like it would have a wide range of attack abilities and speed.

i also think otis' creature is a strong contender with the cybernetic enhanced soldier.

for the eatpoo side i think there are just as many good pieces. but i also think there were a lot of people who didnt really take it seriously. many of their creatures are just not strong enough for a war.
    some of the strong pieces i thought were from prometheus, brasshorse, niv, splif, noxizmad, and joachim. most of their strong creatures are also very big in size.

prometheus' is a very cool creature concept and looks to combine speed with strength.

joachims abomination is very nice, but may suffer in speed.
    brasshorses is one of their strong hitters. it has size, speed, strength, and ferociousness.

splifs is very original and huge in size. i think it could wreak havoc on the field.

noxs halloween heavy unit is just that. i dont think much could withstand a full assault from a group of these.

niv also has very unique creatures. the wolf is another giant assault unit that could pose a huge problem for the opposing army.

i went over both sides very quickly, and sorry for leaving out the other people, but i found these to be the strongest of each army, in concept, originality, craftsmanship, and just the ability i think it would have in combat. hopefully i was not too hard on anyone and i apologize if i was. i am not sure of who the winner will be, it seems to be a very tight race. eatpoo may have the size advantage, but i think concept might have a larger amount of good creatures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic effort by all. I agree Noximads? was the pic that drew the eatpooers over the line. Imagine his halloween robot knockin on your door asking for candy....!

Androids work was simply prolific (how does he do it?) and beautifully detailed.

I think everyone who entered should get a door prize or certificate and the winners maybe should get something else for their work...whaddya think?
    :chug:

Live like you are going to die tomorrow. Learn like you are going to live forever. GANDHI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh heh, door prizes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overall i enjoyed looking at these pieces and many of them were rendered very well only thing i see too much of ...though it's not an easy thing to break away from in designing a creature is the humanoid/animal and mechanic look.
    more later, must work, stupid professors giving us two weeks homework

As a mans power and knowledge grows so the paths he may choose lessen more and more until he can choose only and whole what he must do.
    time to follow the trend: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...14#post1052814
    oh and heres a college buddy of mine:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75358

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, was a nice contest and a good battle.

both armies have fought well, eatpoo featured the best overall army while we featured the best individual monster, so everyone kinda won.

when i speak for myself, i can say i pulled some experience out of it in terms of handling deadlines and not getting too much time inbetween painting sessions.

when's the next one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and congratulations to all, fantastic work. cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where can I see the official winners?
    I wanna seeee!!!!
    But even without seeing, congrats to the winners lol =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations to the winners! Well deserved. Seeing the best from everyone really is a great humbling experience-- it's awesome to see what everyone pours out of themselves, how they translate the description, the mood and actions portrayed, the techniques and styles used. This really pushes me to try harder the next time. I hope this was a great learning process for everyone else as it was for me. If so, we truly have won the war!!!

Mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm...i am a little bit disappointed about the presentation of the winners.

There were about 60 members total, who entered the contest. And the announcement is just about the 3 winners, without any pictures and no c&c to the rest...

We have no overview of all entries, so we have to hop from one forum to the other to see which image someones talking about...very annoying...

But since we are all dedicated members, it's also up to us to improve the level of the forums and support the admins...

That's why i made a compliation of all contenders...i took every image from the td-finished-entries-threads from both forums..., so if there is one missing, don't blame me

conceptart-army

eatpoo-army

Now everybody can comment the pics with looking at the thumbnails...i guess we all know the highres-versions, so it's not bad if you can't see the details...it's just an overview to make the c&c's easier, so everyone can find the image, someone's talking about...

To the admins: Maybe you want to copy this images to a new thread...don't know if this is the right place...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't understand why sabotage11's pic is in third place...mcotie's mutt's are better in composition, technique and idea. As both pieces are about "dogs-of-war" you can judge them by comparison...

My favs from ca:

aleksi: Great atmosphere...berzerker ready to explode!

android (with 5 the best): It's our army in the army. Considering them as special forces units...

die kreuzwortraetsel: I don't know, it just looks cool...i like it very much!

hedrus: The most complex creature and lineart. I appreciate your hard work...

jasonmanley: I love the atmosphere, technique and perspective. But the creature itself and it's specifics are not easy to spot (right word?)

lono: A REAL street-warrior. I watched your wip in your thread.

mcotie: if sabotage11's mutts are third, yours are in 2,5th place

negativespace: Don't know, why nobody mentioned your work...i really like it. Very cool ideas and also your technique...still wondering, why nobody said anything...

oglzogl: Your second entry is very unique...you are special here

otis: As i said before...as from nowhere...considering that you've made this piece in one hour, this one is the best in speed-thunderdome#3-contest...superb!

smeagol71: I really like your lineart, but as you mentioned yourself, the coloured version is not that good...bummer...

sparth: Great as usual...what can i say...maybe this: :thumbsup:

my favs from ep:

brasshorsekiller: This was one of the first cool pieces which entered the thunderdome...great work! Sorry, i forgot the name of your partner for this one...

joachim: Disgusting...AND love it

ken: Same thing like i said to negativespace! This one rocks for me!

nivbed: This mutts are amazing work...but how comes that the second (squidbitch) is really behind the level of your first entry?

noxizmad: Yeah...i agree to the judge's decision!

prometheus: As far as i saw, you've got your own monster-army...Did you draw all this pieces just for td3? Killer...

spliff: I love the idea...i was for the same idea, but then changed my mind...but this one is set high in my rankings! :thumbsup: One of the best ideas in my eyes!

synj: I love comics...and yours is the only one in comicstyle! Cool Butt

I would love to make a voting for the next thunderdome-contest-idea...and i would like to see a little more detailed presentation of the winners for the next round...finally i want apologize for my english...

:beer: :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All great choices except for third place. I think the other dog concepts were much better. Also, I think overall concept.org had a more solid repertoire of creatures.

Just an opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks

thanks foz....that is fantastic to see!

Can you believe the turnout for the contest??

we have two fantastic groups....and now they are moved closer to one group on two sites....

I met a lot of people from doing the contest and Im sure you all did too. Congrats on expanding the artist colonies we share on the two sites!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Thanks for taking the time to do that Fozz; I agree with you too! You gotta respect Mcotie's mutts for they give off the the feeling of a real WAR CRY:evilbat:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Say when does the next one start Jason? Don't know how much of an asset I'll be in battle but I'm ready to test my meddle.:machinegu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Yeah,

I'll be more ready for the next one.
    I feel so bad that I didn't start anything earlier.
    I'm anxious to learn what the new topic will be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying to figure out how to put up those
    little images "avatars"

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we will announce another contest soon....gotta take care of the winner for this one first.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :thumbsup:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozzybar: excellent idea you had, to gather all the artworks. a pleasure to watch really.
    i'll definitely catch up for the next contest, and participate more. it's very exiting really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sparth I that will be great,I hope that you
    will participate in next round.
    I think that judgment went well in all but I
    must agree with most people that Mcotes
    WAR Hounds are better than Sabotage11
    piece(which is cool,by the way)
    Alas,Grief for Victory stays.

Sjajno!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I forgot to sey ``think`` in last post

Sjajno!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following

thank you

I want to thank everyone involved for a spectacular effort. So many monsters drawn for the sake of art, its a beautifull thing, big thanks to all the eat poo guys for being such good sports, and mad props to all my boys and girls here for all thier encouragment and support.

there was some outstanding entries from both forums

Lono's warrior took me over the edge
    after viewing alexsi's monsters I had to put my eyes back in my head. and mcotties war dogs were among my top favorites from the org

Nivbed dogs, made me put my tail between my legs, noxizmads entries made my heart skip two beats (welcome aboard)
    and promethesus effort and skill are legendary.

I didnt enter the contest with any expectations of winning, I just love drawing monsters and needed an excuse to keep my hands busy. thank you John. And thanks to Jason for starting the contest, even if he didnt bother to consult me before issuing the challange

great job everyone, cant wait for the next battle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...what a great and exciting experience this was for me. After seeing some of the initial entries the intimidation factor was high and I almost didn't enter. However, the encouraging spirit of many on this board pushed me to work for the sake of the work itself and I enjoyed it greatly!

Thanks to Jason and all others involved for the time and energy given for our benefit. And thanks to everyone for inspiration and for constantly raising that bar! I feel so fortunate to be a part of such a great community. I will be working harder and can't wait for the next contest!!!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice words, andrew. well spoken.

i don't know if this is the right place to do but i would like to ask for honest critique on my entry.
    i know some faults myself but everyone sees things with different eyes and has some good points to crit.

also, design-wise, criticism would be highly appreciated. if you don't want to disturb the thread with it, feel free to e-mail me (gekitsu at polycount dot com)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too short in time at the moment...but one thing i wondered when seeing your image: What are these razorblade-things there? Are they stucked in his arms or what? It seems as if your creature was attacked and so i didn't get the point, what his special abilities for fighting could be...:confused:

But, hey gekitsu! I am with you in the point, that EVERY entry should get some feedback...though i don't know how to manage this...because i think the effort, time and hard work of everyone is worth to get some feedback. There were more than 70 images painted by about 60 artists, which joined the contest, commented wips and were excited.

There are some pieces which have never been mentioned by anyone (i commented some of them in my fav's listing above). Bummer...

Maybe we can make a mega-series of thunderdome-pieces-threads in the "finally finished" section...what are you admins think about this? Every contender opens a thread titled like "td#3:membername" in the finally finished section and then our masses of members can c&c on every pic he wants to...so every member can see where to improve his personal skills...

What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.