Anyone know about illustration at FIT?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anyone know about illustration at FIT?

Hey all, I'm a recent college graduate looking for a career change (I majored in finance and am thinking about quitting the bank I work at). Drawing has always been a hobby of mine and I've started to look into getting into concept art.

This past semester, I dabbled my feet in the water by taking a 2D animation class and a life drawing class over the weekends at FIT - the animation class went pretty slowly for me (even though it was my first time using AE) but the drawing class I found to be pretty strong. I am now considering enrolling into the 2-year General Illustration associates program for next fall. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the quality of this program.

Browsing through these forums, everyone seems to concentrate on SVA and Parsons in NY (and there seems to be a lot of hate for Pratt lol) but no one ever talks about FIT... I'm mainly attracted to FIT at the moment because I will be quitting my job to enroll in the program and while I've saved plenty in my first year working (and will save more by the time I enroll), the money's not going to last me forever and I prefer not to drown in debt after coming out of art school. That, plus, my experience so far at FIT with my drawing class has been a good one. That said, I've seen some of the senior theses for SVA students - particularly coming from the Computer Art dept and wow - some of the work is just stunning (example: http://thesisabyssus.blogspot.com). And admittedly, I don't think I've seen equal quality work coming out of FIT.

So in short, before I end up ranting, I'd like to receive some input on FIT and whether or not ppl think the Illustration program is a robust one and whether or not it would be highly suggested to consider a different school. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I've been told, it's not that great. It's basically only decent if you want to go into fashion maybe? That's what I was told, so I don't know for suuure. I personally would not waste my time there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks, I actually went to visit FIT's senior thesis exhibition yesterday. I gotta say, their packaging design and toy design work is really impressive, but I found illustration and computer art a little lacking. I mean the work was good in general (and a select few were very good), but nothing that really exceptionally stood out for me.

I'm going to try to order one of the senior thesis books from SVA and compare it to the work presented at FIT and see from there.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any input, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ringling and SVA are great for illustration; superb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As an FIT illustration Alumni I would have to say the illustration program is pretty good, especially for painting. Certain professors I would avoid having like Barbara Hanlon, Melanie Reim or Judy Truman "Modern Art History". I don't know how they ever got jobs there. Anyway, try to get Kam Mak who is awesome for painting or Karen Santry who is very cool, also pretty awesome Chairman/professor Ed Soyka. Like Any University you take the good with the bad. You can check out our department website.

http://www3.fitnyc.edu/illustration/

Work after graduation is pretty much sporadic, just mostly freelance work if that's the kind of lifestyle you want. Not too connected in that sense. May need a MBA to open your own studio, something I'm considering. You get a lot of digital classes & some photography. Although FIT cares more about its Fashion Designers overall because they have the most Design students. But the illustration department chairperson & professors can help guide your budding as far as where to start.
    Good Luck!

P.S. As someone who went to SVA, some of the buildings should be condemned, facilities were not that great if I can recall. The students & professors are the best assets. I think FIT has a better campus.

Last edited by dennistheartist; January 9th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.