C.O.W. #144 Cthonic Psychic Suckerer -- VOTING!! - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Chthonic Psychic Suckerer!

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Razorleaf

0 0%
  • Azathoth

0 0%
  • MoralAmbiguity

3 3.61%
  • HugeHarHar

0 0%
  • NicHolS

17 20.48%
  • CamSyko

4 4.82%
  • Gumish

14 16.87%
  • blobs

22 26.51%
  • Icecold

1 1.20%
  • Sclark

2 2.41%
  • Chronoperates

7 8.43%
  • daveneale

6 7.23%
  • jhofferle

0 0%
  • Swellzombie

1 1.20%
  • Maru Schereiber

0 0%
  • JEFFERSON

0 0%
  • Crowsrock

1 1.20%
  • Alien Ape Star

1 1.20%
  • ecochran

0 0%
  • RETEP

3 3.61%
  • volscalkur

0 0%
  • dadoalmeida

0 0%
  • Jack Nugget

1 1.20%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. #144 Cthonic Psychic Suckerer -- VOTING!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Nichols, Ifelt the concept was nicely fleshed out, with a few stages of the beasts feeding in the one picture.

Poor surfers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted on Camsyko, because i liked the iridescent colors and the eye thing.

I shot the sheriff.
    Now I'm the sheriff.

March's Sketchbook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice entries all around . Blobs gets my vote, good form, simple clear silhouette, nice render.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange eons even death may die.
    http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=Azathoth
    sls_smithy@hotmail.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azathoth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for daveneale i like the mood of his work.

Nichols great as always, altho in my opinion its too much about background in your project, and it all looks more like an illustration rather than concept. Anyways great job!

Azathoth I think that your creature is just too much recognizible in our world, try to let your fantasy go further next time :>

Gumish Hahah the little illustration showing how the creature does it's job made me laugh so hard, you are the 2nd i would vote for.

Blobs You somehow remind me of the blizzard artworks, great job man.

Sclark Mate don't get me wrong, but you really should worked more on this its faaaaar behind the "finished" term.

Chronoperates
    I'd better not get in that creatures way , love the concept but i think you could push the rendering abit further, but... I LOVE IT ANYWAYS!

jhofferle

Well uhm,... keep practising

swellzombie
    That looks sick odd man! i'd never would like to touch that thing! great idea, but i think the creature is too bright compared to the bacground which makes it not working so well together.

Marsch
    Well, first of all dont use so much soft brushes work with hard round one you will get mich betetr effects, and don't use black as for the shaded areas just use darker values of the colours you used for your creature.

JEFFERSON
    Same thing as with Nichols, lay more focus on the creature instead of everything else, sure backgrounds may be nice to add but keep in mind it's Creature Of The Week

Crowsrock

Maybe it's really like u showed us! who knows!

Alien Ape Star

Sweet idea, it reminds me of some space creatures.

Sorry have no time to comment more, altho great entrys everyone.

I feel so sad that noone voted for mine yet

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Icecold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great entires everyone. Even those that the rendering wasnt so great the ideas behind them were really interesting. Hope to see you all in the next round.

My vote went to blobs cos I really like the style, and the idea.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam Sykes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nichols, Blobs and Gumish really stood out for me primarily because the rendering caught my eye.

If the challenge was for any creature, I would have gone with Nichols. It gives me a really creepy feeling and I can see something like this going right into a Half-Life game. However, it feels like the "Cthonic Psychic Suckerer" theme was bolted on to a really cool creature instead of being integral to it.

Blobs' creature could be a page right out of a D&D manual. Great design and very polished looking work.

I ended up voting for Gumish. I like that he moved away from the tentacle theme that many others had going on. I also like that the concept has specifics about the creature and it doesn't feel like a generic "psychic creature" paragraph to make the rendering fit the challenge.

Props to everyone who threw their hat in. It can be intimidating to participate in these challenges with all the great artists on this site.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhofferle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I gave my vote to sclark - The idea really creeped me out, and although the work itself could have done with more detail (I'm sorry I don't know what your style is like usually) I think I got more than what I wanted - I'll probably have nightmares about the accursed thing now lol

I also liked NicHolS one - I thought it was rather horrifying. I liked the scene, (its good to see how a creature interacts with its environment) but perhaps it was done at the expense of detail on the creature and maybe lost the psy theme just a bit. I did like how they all seemed to be rising out of the sand, and one surfer has succumbed lol

My last favourite was ecochran - mostly because it wasn't a spectacularly gory idea. I thought it was cute and sad at the same time, that while it didn't prey on people, people preyed upon it. I found the concept in itself rather novel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,

I voted Gumish.. I'll be back later on today (hopefully) to make my comments!!
    Thank you to those that have given me comments and voted for me!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blobs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moralambiguity- gred idea! i wish more time was spent on the rendering though, i can still see the line drawing (unless thats what your going for ).

Hugeharar- love the way the description is written! and like the creature design a lot. i wish there was more detail. the character could stay loose, but it would be nice to see a little more description on the creature.

camsyko-that mouth freaks me out! haha. really enjoy the background.

blobs- great use of color and value!

icecold- the brain looks soo juicy! would like to have seen you push the design further though.

sclark- giving yourself more time would help. the line outlining the creature is flattening the drawing. blobs is a good example of how you can keep an outline on your creature but integrate that into the background.

chronoperates- love the sketch in the corner! cool creature design

jhoffle- more time! there is no distinguishing textures, mouth, underside, and backside all look the same. it would help to have an idea in your head of what the texture you want is, and then doing a little research on how it reflects light.

marsch- the only semi-hard lines in the entire drawing are the eyes, everything else is extremely soft. i think i would help to vary the soft and hard edges more. love the concept

alien ape star- great concept! very original

ecochran- i wish i could se the half of the body is obscured in the cave. three nose holes (love it).

daveneale- love the use of light and texture!! you got my vote

sorry if there's any repetition from others posts, and for not getting to everyone.

i would really appreciate some crits on mine, i'm fairly new to digital art and am trying to get a handle on it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RETEP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RETEP View Post
    moralambiguity

icecold- the brain looks soo juicy! would like to have seen you push the design further though.
    Uhm, push the design you say, well any suggestions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecold View Post
    Nichols great as always, altho in my opinion its too much about background in your project, and it all looks more like an illustration rather than concept. Anyways great job!
    Cheers, the BG was pretty quick, i needed a way to show the different states in a single shot, sort of add a bit of storytelling so like last week i wanted to do it in action. i dont think there are any rules against backgrounds that i know of? focus was still on the creature i hope?

thanks to all those for the feedback and votes! and grats to blobs! nice work mate!
    adam

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NicHolS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    icecold - didn't mean to upset you if i did. i think the rendering is superb. i would suggest developing the legs more by adding more detail. because the legs are such a vital part of your creatures design, used for attaching itself to animals and holding onto trees.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nichols - I think everything in your piece works. The background totally establishes the who, what, and where of the creature. One knows what's happening in a single picture and the description only clarifies the information. That's how I like stuff. If I couldn't read, I'd still know what that creature was about and to stay away.
    I will say now that I only voted for Blobs for totally superficial reasons.
    You created a great concept that gets the point across and it's pretty.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swellzombie For This Useful Post:

Razorleaf is offline "Moving Forward" each and every day :) Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked Sclark's this time around. Chthonic Pyschic Suckerer lol ..... and this creatures encompassed it all. It is subterranean and it is psychic sucking not brain sucking. Nicely rendered!

Last edited by Razorleaf; May 29th, 2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, have to say that Iīm not feeling confortable voting in this edition of COW because of my lack of participation...

But I spent some minutes reading the final entries and choose the Submineus Scholaris by Gumish. The creature itself are preety designed and their concept itīs funny (sometimes I do prefer the fun side of the monsters). ;-)

Anyway, thereīs a lot of other interesting enterings (some better conceptualized than rendered), but I do prefer donīt write too much in this one.

Congrats for all.

ps.: yeah. I realized that I donīt get the idea in this Chtonich thing. Really miss the Pyschic part of the brief. Ouch!

Dado Almeida - Illustrator looking for Freelancing

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dadoalmeida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadly I'm not going to get to comment on everyone's in any detail but..

Razorleaf I love this guy's character, although I think he's a bit flat looking, that might be partially down to the use of the texture.

Azathoth Great write up! Good form on the octo part of him, although the brain part looks flat.

MoralAmbiguity LOL, love this one and it's write up. I agree with NicHolaS that there's not much variation of creatures this time round and yours definitely stands out te most for being different. I think you need to render a bit more though as this doesn't look finished to me.

HugeHarHar I would've liked to have just seen the creature on this, so we get a better view. Looks good

NicHolS Yours was my second vote purely becuase I love your colour choices and painting skills. Fantastic stuff.

CamSyko 3rd choice for me, I love the lighting, his mouth and the eye. I don't think his legs look like they couldn't hold him up though

Gumish Yep your'e my top man/girl this round. Solid design and concept and I can see this in a video game, which I guess is what a lot of us would love to me doing! I'd love to see more rendering next time, really push that polish

Icecold Excellent stuff!

Sclark Nice idea, I think you could do with more polish though, push those values

Chronoperates Excellent stuff, but I do prefer the right hand image

Daveneale Weird and wonderful as always. Very cool stuff Dave!

jhofferle The head design on this guy is great, I do think you could push his body to look more interesting... nobbly bits on his underbelly rather than those lines, or maybe veins and or hair. I think once you have the basic shape like you have got here always try and think what you could add to the creature in the next stage of drawing to make it look more interesting.

Swellzombie Fannies and condoms.. mwhat more do you need for a cthonic monster! I love it.. it's weird as hell and disturbing, briliant!

Marsch I think you need to up the rednering on this, I feel you have a few more passes yet before this is classed as finished. Work some shapes together to make your monsters look more visually appealing, check out NicHolS, CamSykos and Gumish to see how they made the bodies of their creatures catch your eye.

Jefferson You win my vote for comedy elements! Good piece

Crowsrock As above, so below.. comedy wineth! I almost pity the rat

Alien Ape Star Weird and wonderful, great colour choices and ideas. Cool stuff

Ecochran Cute

RETEP Good stuff RETEP, I really like the head design, for some reason it reminds me of that Star Trek movie giant ship/monster that's trying to contact the whales on earth.

Volscalkur Interesting elements, and good design. Watch your forms

Dadoalmeida Weird and interesting design, cool stuff. Love the head design especially.

Jack Nugget Beautifully horrible and evil.. a bit too much saturated pinkyness for my eyes, but you've rendered his eye well. Cool

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blobs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats Blobs!

kristianduffy.blogspot.com

...theres been a disturbance in Piccadilly Circus involving some sort of mad dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.