Hello, I have a question.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hello, I have a question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello, I have a question.

Hello, I have a few questions about my education and what I should take in collage. Ever since I was little I've had my heart set on being a Videogame Concept artist. What I really want to do is sketch, in pencil or on computer, character designs or landscape designs. But I really don't know what a "Videogame concept artists" dose. Dose someone give me there ideas for a design and I just go at it and make what's in there head go to paper? or dose someone tell me they need this setting/character and they let me draw what I feel? I have been asking around about Jobs in the videogame industry and have been getting mixed results. I was wondering if anyone here knew what being a Videogame Concept artist is like. What skills do I need to make it in this field? What classes should I take? Is there any collages that specialize in this kind of thing? As you can probably already tell I still really don't know what I am doing, or how to even get into this industry. I am taking "Drawing and Painting Advanced" and "Art of Animation" my senior year of high school. Should I take anything else? Would any kind of math help me in this? Is there any internships I could take over the summer that would give me a feel for this job?

I am sorry for all the questions so fast, but I really would like to start moving this forward now (well I can still change my classes around.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've copied and pasted a job listing for you. This should give you an idea of the skills you will need.

There are several schools that now have a CA diploma or degree. Max the Mutt (Toronto) is one of them. In a couple of weeks, the new galleries will be posted on our web site and you'll be able to see the quality of work our students produce. I believe Ringling has a CA major....and there are ateliers as well.

Concept Artist

Main Responsibilities:

* Create original and imaginative concept art for characters, the
    world and other assets that will inspire the team and help set the
    tone, look and feel of our games.
    * Effectively collaborate with other artists to create the
    architectural design, character design and broader environmental
    design of the game
    * Work closely with the Art Director and Game Designer to take
    creative direction as well as reinforce the execution of the game's
    visual design
    * Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all aspects of the
    game’s production and development
    * Deliver work on time and according to schedule as prepared by the
    Producer
    * Accept and provide direction with team members and participate and
    engage with the entire production team to stay current on the scope
    and understanding of the project
    * Multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and follow
    through on details.

Qualifications:

* A portfolio that demonstrates excellent concepting skills and range
    of style.
    * Traditional art skills with an exceptional understanding of the
    human anatomy as well as architectural and environmental design.
    * Strong understanding of lighting, composition, color theory,
    atmosphere, materials and textures.
    * Must be able to work within an established art style
    * Solid familiarity with Photoshop and Painter
    * Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills
    * Demonstrated ability to follow direction and to collaborate
    successfully with others.
    * Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, to meet deadlines
    and to excel under production conditions.
    * Strong work ethic, self-direction and artistic vision, dedicated
    work ethic.
    * Have a genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games.

Preferred Extras:

Storyboarding

Note that they want you to "* Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills." Unless English is not your language, this is an area you should work on right away!

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; May 18th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you So much Maxine! I know I will Love this type of work and i know its what i want to do for Ever! I want to take classes over the summer to study human anatomy or just a class to let me learn in more detail. I already have a Strong understanding of lighting composition and atmosphere. But I normally draw in pen / pencil, not so much color (but i will work on that.) Now all I need is to learn to use Photoshop and get a drawing tablet!

Thank you again for all the info! If this career is Half as good as i think it is i will be the happiest person in the World!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might consider taking an English composition class with a technical focus (I believe I remember seeing writing courses for the mechanical engineers in the UCF course catalog a few years back).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    You might consider taking an English composition class with a technical focus (I believe I remember seeing writing courses for the mechanical engineers in the UCF course catalog a few years back).
    Why would i want to take an english composition class? I know my writing sucks, if thats what u meen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Note that they want you to "* Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills." Unless English is not your language, this is an area you should work on right away!

You will be part of a team and if you want a career you will need to communicate effectively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, i must have missed that part. I am uste to ppl just telling me to take an english class just to make fun of me.

I am wondering what type of writing would be done in this job? You said that you need to talk betweene the designers and the artists. Do you write emails to them explaining what you are thinking they should draw or what?

But yeah, i will have to work on my english skills even if this job has nothing to do with writing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying this to make fun of you, but it's just a fact that you should have proper writing to be taken more seriously, no matter your field of work.

That and like Maxine said: team work = excellent communication between team members; no one wants to have to decipher what you are trying to say.
    You'll use e-mails and notes, you'll exchange comments, etc.

You should start working on that now.
    Put lots of effort into it, you'll see it's well worth it.
    :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Xayasha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Xayasha : )
    I try to write things so they are correct but I do still need a lot of work.

I would like to thank you all again for all your help and support. You guys seem like a cool bunch of people. I mite start posting some of my drawings up in the future also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try using spell check. It can help! Also, try reading. Find books that interest you. To build vocabulary, write down words you don't know and look them up. Keep a list with two columns- the word on one side and the meaning on the other. Your brain, like a computer, will get sharper when your vocabulary gets larger. It's also very pleasurable to be able to express and refine your thoughts.

After you write something, review it ! Read it back to yourself. In this time, when so many people can't speak or write well, your ability to communicate will increase your value as an employee. It will also give you, in my opinion, the tools to lead a more meaningful and self-aware life.

I'm sure everyone on the forums wishes you good luck, and welcomes you. We'll look forward to seeing your posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maxine is right. Art skills are the biggest part of the battle, but excellent communication skills will take you a long way when it comes to making the contacts needed for a lot of people to break into the industry.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that no matter what art school you choose, what will make the difference is what you do on your own time. Don't just do the assignments thinking, "Well, I'm in art school. Surely what they teach me will be enough." It won't. It's sad, but thousands of people graduate from art schools around the world every year without anything close to the skills they would need to make it as a professional. Worse, many of them have no idea how far behind they are until they're out of school.

Do the work and you can make it happen. Just make sure you're willing to put in the time and effort required.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mock View Post
    Maxine is right. Art skills are the biggest part of the battle, but excellent communication skills will take you a long way when it comes to making the contacts needed for a lot of people to break into the industry.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that no matter what art school you choose, what will make the difference is what you do on your own time. Don't just do the assignments thinking, "Well, I'm in art school. Surely what they teach me will be enough." It won't. It's sad, but thousands of people graduate from art schools around the world every year without anything close to the skills they would need to make it as a professional. Worse, many of them have no idea how far behind they are until they're out of school.

Do the work and you can make it happen. Just make sure you're willing to put in the time and effort required.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have been very busy with the school year ending and all. Thank you for your help everyone. I really appreciate it! I have wanted to do this every since I was a little kid. I am willing to do anything it takes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Get a good spell checker for emails.

Hi TalonB,

Many years ago, a famous writer, Ambrose Bierce said about grammar, "GRAMMAR, n. A system of pitfalls thoughtfully prepared for the feet for the self-made man, along the path by which he advances to distinction.

As in Ambrose Bierce's day, if you want to get a good job or get promoted, you must have good writing and oral skills. You will be judged by your writing and speaking. I would recommend a good spell checker such as "Ispell" etc. If you spell check each email and each posting that you write, it will help you significantly.

Also, a spell checker can only go so far. It can't check for bad grammar or improperly used words that are spelled correctly. Thus, if you mean "wait," the spell checker won't tag as incorrect the word "weight."

Moreover, it is very easy to slip into lazy writing when using emails or posting on forums. This should be avoided. For example, I could use the letters "ez" for the word easy,but that would be a mistake. Your spelling of "mite" should be spelled "might" etc.

Note, I am NOT making fun of you. I have a terrible time proof reading my own typos. I am a horrible typist,which is a really bad trait for a professional writer.

Take a course in English grammar and REALLY apply yourself to that course. Take a course in technical or business writing too.

Finally, read, read, and read some more. Find some books and some specific genre of writing that you will enjoy. Nothing improves writing like reading. The words have to "go through the eyes" to really make an impression. In addition, read newspapers, editorial columns etc.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.