Oil Brush - Artrage - Painter

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oil Brush - Artrage - Painter

Hi there!

I spent half of today trying to replicate the Oil Brushes from Artrage in Painter, because I really like their 'feel' (it feels much more natural than Painters Oilbrushes to me), but to no avail. Although I'm new to digital Painting and just bought Painter X, so I don't know if I considered everything. I tried to do a nearly 100% copy - is it even possible?

Maybe some experienced users can help me out here?

thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Have you tried the Real Bristle Brushes Category?

I don't think Painter seems to do the same kind of "engine" equivalent of Art Rage after trying it.

For example Art Rage deals with impasto a lot better than Painter. It actually takes into consideration when you use the palette knife you're scraping what you've done with the impasto. Taking a "Depth Eraser" or "Equalizer" brush doesn't cut it. Often times the Impasto looks...too computer generated unlike Art Rage. Even the eraser in Art Rage makes better sense than Painter's when it comes to handling oil and impasto. The eraser erases the depth first then the color. Painter erases the color and leaves the depth - wtf?

I do think however, Painter has better bristle brushes than Art Rage (which is to say Art Rage lacks them and I'm hoping this may be in the next version ArtRage 3) Artrage has a better natural emulation of oil paint, it's depth and dispersal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's not possible to get the same natural media oils effect in Painter as in ArtRage. Painter is more digitally oriented and makes it easy to do fine detail but at the expense of a natural look. ArtRage focuses more on traditional emulation and as a result, some effects are more difficult to achieve, although arguably more rewarding.

That also answers everyone who asks if you can replicate the Painter mixer palette brush in Painter. The answer is no, but you can in ArtRage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a shame, Painter claims to emulate traditional mediums to the tee, and after dabbling, and experimenting, I find that they do quite the opposite, shame really, artist oils aren't even close for me.

Art Rage's oil brush is amazing, the way it blends, tapers, and like Arshes said the way it deals with impasto and the depth of it, and although the settings are minimilistic, they allow for a very broad range of effects.

How do you recreate the mixer palette knife inside Art Rage Baron?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAP00PI View Post
    How do you recreate the mixer palette knife inside Art Rage Baron?
    Basically by using very think paint and then either blending with thinners or using the palette knife. I've found decreasing the pressure dial and keeping the pressure up on the brush also helps blending and avoids the "stringy" effect you can get from painting using the brush tip only.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot Baron Impossible & Arshes Nei for youinsightful input and SHAP00PI for being of the same opinion like me.

As a Newbie to Painter X I couldn't see the limitations at first, thought it was for Drawing what Photoshop is for general Picture Manipulation - the end all, be all. I've read a lot the last days and now I'm a little set back. I'm certain I won't upgrade to Painter 11 in the forseeable future and I'm excited what Artrage 3 will have to offer. Hopefully their watercolor engine is as fantastic as their oil brush engine.

In the end, I guess, I will use both programs, combining their strenths.

Last edited by Sascha Thau; May 18th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Even the eraser in Art Rage makes better sense than Painter's when it comes to handling oil and impasto. The eraser erases the depth first then the color. Painter erases the color and leaves the depth - wtf?
    Painter erases color, or depth, or both color and depth, depending on the brush variant you choose (or the Eraser tool) to do the erasing:

Color
    • Eraser tool
    • Many of the Erasers category's variants

Depth
    • Impasto category's Depth Equalizer

Color and Depth
    • Eraser tool
    • Erasers category's
      • Erase All Hard
      • Erase All Soft
    • Impasto category's Depth Color Eraser

This is based on Painter X.1 and there may be more options in Painter 11.

Jinny

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Painter erases color, or depth, or both color and depth, depending on the brush variant you choose (or the Eraser tool) to do the erasing:
    Yes, but it doesn't do it by default or as intuitively as Art Rage. The eraser in Art Rage erases to depth first then color depending on the amount of paint, and seems to do it in a way that responds very well to understanding the impasto/bump texture.

I don't have to change the eraser variant, it knows if I'm erasing an airbrush, pencil or oil paint. That's pretty impressive for a 25 dollar program.

The same way the palette knives in Art Rage really handle the smearing of paint better than Painter, with more intuitive reactions to how much paint is loaded/impasto there is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um.... Wasn't this a Corel Painter forum at one time?

Jinny

#

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is. My question goes to you as well or is it not allowed to ask something like this in a Painter Forum? Sorry, I'm new around here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jinny

#
    Yes, and the OP's question was to get Corel to work like ArtRage, that would usually require the comparisons of the two programs. If you don't understand what ArtRage does, it's hard to answer the OP's question because of the methodology and brush engine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes,

I understand, just wish we could get back to what this forum was set up for. It's been a while that people have been having long discussions about everything but Painter or as opposed to Painter.

Sascha.

Not to worry. It's not your fault this has happened and I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable.

Cheers!

Jinny

#

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes,

I understand, just wish we could get back to what this forum was set up for. It's been a while that people have been having long discussions about everything but Painter or as opposed to Painter.

Jinny

#
    Jinny oh I agree, but I think the problem is, now people are waiting on Corel's word for patches on bugs. I think the last response wasn't even here. So now it's mostly a complaint fest and looking for alternatives until this problem is resolved.

I think it's at least mostly true for the newest release.

A lot of the other questions are usually answered already, maybe it's a good time to go back through some of these posts during the idle time and tag them for easy searching.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.