Chow 159 :: The OUTLAW - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  chow15_2wips.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  149.7 KB

2 WIPS. He had a face, but I didn't like it. Will keep it in a sketchy style. Hope to finish tomorrow.

Last edited by hungryan; May 24th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated wip. I just might be able to finish on time, maybe.

*edit* added mustache ^^

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Liv; May 24th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it looks like the mob has spoken. Turns out illustration and concept art ARE mutually exclusive. Hmm, don't tell my employer...

I've always looked to these challenges help to grow as an artist and to try and have some fun in the process. I assure you that I'm not here to try to change the rules by drawing some guy on a horse from a low angle, I'm just trying to keep things interesting for myself. I mean, I guess I could sit here and argue about what you guys think "concept art" actually is, but I'd rather just get back to drawing pretty things for the heck of it.

Anyway, in the interest of avoiding drama at the polls, I'm out. Have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    instead of cutting maybe people should just spot them early, if no one tells the person then maybe its considered fine? i think marco should still enter his this week tho as i really enjoy his weekly participation and wouldnt want him to miss out this round. just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Okay guys,

The Character vs. Illustration has been a standard problem here basically from the beginning, so I understand the argument. Unfortunately there is no clear way to deal with it.

We do sometimes put in rules like "must be an orthographic design" but the problem is these restrictions always end up restricting the number of entries.

We do have some measures in place - like the 3/4ths rule. We have to be able to see most of the character to have it count as a character design. But beyond that we don't really have the same kind of way to focus as cow and eow do - both of them focus down by saying what you *can't* do. Cow and Eow are NOT about character, that's the rule that it boils down to for those, so they can easily monitor for it.

Yes, I can say "chow cannot be an eow or a cow", but the entries really aren't suffering from that problem, and I would get a lot of people saying "well no duh".

I suppose I could make a rule saying "if I think it is too focused on illustration rather than design, I will cut it". But how do I enforce that? And how do I draw a clear cut, easily understandable line for what's too far an illustration, and what's not?

Or, with some of those who do awesome illustrations, but the character design is awesome as well? Do I cut them because they made a painting that works as a painting as well as a design?

I know well enough by now that cutting arbitrarily really doesn't work in chow. People are very very passionate about this contest and so I try to make sure that if I cut people it's for clear cut, understandable reasons that are easily explained. I'm not sure how that would apply to a 'not too illustrative, please' rule.

If you have suggestions for figuring that out, by all means, I would like to hear them. But please keep them to the discussion thread that is stickied. It's not really an discussion I would like to go into in a normal thread, and if you put it in the appropriate thread then I will have an easier time finding the suggestions at a later date.

Thanks.

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still need to power through the rest of this - I do the face and then get bored. :I I think his proportions are craaazzzyyy off, so his whole body might get redone. + his clothes look kind of boring.

Name:  outlawWIP2.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  172.1 KB

ETA: yeahhh, I like this one a little better.

Name:  outlawWIP3.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  132.2 KB

Last edited by mechashiva; May 24th, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: updating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NicHolS View Post
    instead of cutting maybe people should just spot them early, if no one tells the person then maybe its considered fine? i think marco should still enter his this week tho as i really enjoy his weekly participation and wouldnt want him to miss out this round. just my 2 cents...
    I agree Marco...dont bail out dude...your pic is both fantastic and inspirational..If all the talented artists start pulling out because they can no longer let loose creatively then we all lose....AND, I myself will no longer post my awesome art either ...just kidding, I suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marco I think your character is great and since administrator is supporting the pose
    as it also helps tell something about the character and makes us more creative,
    please put your picture in the poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much to do still and so little time left.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Mazzoni View Post
    Well it looks like the mob has spoken. Turns out illustration and concept art ARE mutually exclusive. Hmm, don't tell my employer...

I've always looked to these challenges help to grow as an artist and to try and have some fun in the process. I assure you that I'm not here to try to change the rules by drawing some guy on a horse from a low angle, I'm just trying to keep things interesting for myself. I mean, I guess I could sit here and argue about what you guys think "concept art" actually is, but I'd rather just get back to drawing pretty things for the heck of it.

Anyway, in the interest of avoiding drama at the polls, I'm out. Have fun.
    I agree with the others man, there's no need to pull out. Your post inspired me to start thinking about drama and dynamism more often. In fact your post made me embarrassed about my entry! You should definitely submit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit, you guys will have to forgive me, my hangover chose my words for me and I came across sounding pretty cranky/whiny.

It's really not a big deal or anything, it's just that I've seen this happen in previous CHOWs where the validity of a piece that goes to poll is hotly debated because it's more of an illustration. Seemed this was heading in that direction and I honestly just didn't want to be in the middle of it. That's all.

It's been a great round and I'm still going try and make time for crits, though it'll probably happen after the poll.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When CHOW asks for strict character concepts (orthos, etc.) people don't participate. If people wanted that so badly, hop in on those rounds.

So long as the illo gives a sense of character, I say rock on - nothing bad about setting a scene/tone/story beat, it is often very important in concept. If your character is so weak it gets lost in the bg, THEN we have an issue. Focus on the CHARACTER. The rest is like a bonus, you can do it or not, it's cool either way.

Marco, I think your piece is/was stunning.
    Sweet round, looking forward to the poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the "too illustrative" issue surrounding Chow at the moment, I'd like to remind people that we have a Guidelines Thread here.

To quote form those guidelines:

• Background imagery NOT NECESSARY unless indicated by the brief.
      Otherwise feel free to include it.

What this means: Include a background image or not. It's up to you. Unless the brief says otherwise.
    Why: Backgrounds are not the focus of CHOW.

• No sketches for finals - we want finished work, just like the rest of the Weeklies.

What this means: Finished work is a fairly relative term. Review some of Wes Burt's or Marko's work (or John Singer Sargent for that matter) to see drawings that technically are sketches, but would be accepted in CHOW.
    Why: For our purposes here, a sketch is a unfinished thought. A drawing (including artistically unfinished ones) are a complete thought - either completed by the artist, or by the viewer.

Simply put, we have a wide, wide spread of skill levels that enter Chow. If you can pull off a fully rendered, fully illustrated piece, do so, so long as it stays on target.

You can do an Ortho of your character if you want, so long as it meets the brief criteria.

HOW you approach Chow is up to you. Work to your strengths. If you're in game design, or want to be, submit the characters as you would to your potential AD. It's a good way to build your portfolio. So long as the character is identifiable, you shouldn't have a problem.

~Shane

edit - And seriously, let's move this to the discussion thread now.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; May 24th, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got my greyscale completed now. I just hope I have enough time to do my color glaze and post it before I have to go to work.

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay - one more post before I put this sucker up for real. Any comments or critiques would be greatly appreciated. Here are some comments on the last few entries:

NickTrip: I hate to tell you at this late stage, but I think his right arm is too short. Is it supposed to be foreshortened? Good composition, though - it's got a nice strong diagonal. Also, I like his hat.

NZOB1: You've got a promising start on his face, but you need to deal with his hair and beard as single objects, rather than splitting them up into individual hairs. Think of his hair more as a mass with highlights and shadows.

Liv: That is one ugly sonofabitch. Good work.

JaneM: He looks a bit young for the prompt. Also, the proportions outside the head and chest seem funky - too short arms, too long legs. You had him pinned down better in your earlier ones.

NicHolS: Love that snarl. This guy oozes personality.

Dan!: The Coke poster is too prominent - I'm focusing on it way more than on the character.

IceMoon: I can almost hear the gunshot. Don't tighten it up too much - it'll stiffen the scene and you'll lose that dynamism.

ianthegeek: That horse is enormous. Dig the clothing, though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaethon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of nice work all around!

Memorial day plans got dropped on me, so I'm going to have to drop from this one. Wish I hustled earlier in the week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man, I totally blanked on this one! I wonder if I could pull something out by... 2pm Pacific... Ugh. It was such a good topic too!

Cheers,
    ~daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've wanted to participate in this Chow all week but didn't have the time .... but I woke up this morning and thought I'd see how far I could get in a day anyway.

Last edited by Razorleaf; May 25th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    "Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i decided to make some critiques as it is popper and decent

Adam Schumpert - that's a nice idea , but it has many anatomic problems and perspective problems , for instance , the lower part of the body is to big in proportion to the other half , and even if he is in perspective , leaning back on the counter , his body cant possibly be that small, his busted shoulder looks to big compared to the other one with looks normal

Marco Mazzoni - the shot is very good and dramatic , but is less character and more horse belly

NicHolS - nice , i see you put lots of time in your composition and that's really interesting and nice, but somehow you didn't put to much attention on your character , haha he looks like that old country singer that i don't know his name, or that guy from ghost rider, nice feel there , more attention to the character!

Johann de Venecia
    - nice piece there m8 , like the colors ,like his looks , one thing though , heel too too far away maybe you should have brought him more in front , i mean he's the center of interest , but he's to far away , and now he's just part of the nature

YihyoungLi - lol , why the hell is he a hippie , the character is positioned at the beginning of xx century , no hippies then "And bare in mind he is now part of the early twentieth century."

openanewworld - man , looks good , clean , same as Johann de Venecia , maybe you should have brought the character closer to see what he's about

Tommoy - more attention on anatomy , and the material of cloth and how it raps around the character , so far it feels fluffy and soft

RichLyons
    - still waiting to see what you have for us m8 , so far i like it , and even though the character is character and horse , it really kicks to the front

posh - don't you have enough chows on the shelf as it is , haha , can't wait to see what you bring to the table

Phaethon - damn it man! he has a mini cannon in his hand , that gun is to big , his face in kinda messed up (anatomically speaking) , and the shadows , don't quite fit the scene

cheers to all and good luck , may the best "character" win

Last edited by Giorge; May 25th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Giorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, just a head's up.

Poll will be delayed tonight by at least 4 or five hours. I forgot it was my dad's birthday today so I have to take him out to dinner. So enjoy the short extension!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figure while the poll is delayed I'd also post my finish up here. Any and all comments and crits are welcomed.
    Everyone's work looks great!

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok now.....clarification time.....
    marco, my apologies about this man. your chow is pimp...like with a big ol hat, coat, belt and cane pimp.
    my reaction was more towards illos like openanewworld (and might i add is also a great illo)
    you wouldnt know the dude was badass without the background
    you would think that he was just a drunk washed up cow boy on a horse.
    because of the fire you now think, damn this mofo has some skill even drunk.
    thats an example of the bg helping fill out the brief(or add to the character)

also.....the illos that exploded out of peoples heads are wonderful. i meant to compliment the artists who can rock that hard and fast and push the rest of us to step up.
    by no means should the chow be changed(my opinion)
    the other thing i ment to say is that; I feel like this is one of the only competitions on this thread in which the original idea of chow evolved into something wonderful all because of the drive the artists participating. they gave life to a wonderful community of artists striving to become the best they can.
    So keep pushing, keep rocking, and keep creating!

Kugu, rumor has it your art doesnt suck

Last edited by Flipnastywebby; May 25th, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: my computer sucks and it posted before i finished

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.