Walt Disney High School Prom

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Walt Disney High School Prom

So, this was a commisioned piece of Mickey and Minnie in 80's prom clothes. It's going up for auction. Don't know what type of auction, I forget. Now, I know my painting skill needs improvement. I've never had a lesson, so I'm bascially self taught, I just want to know what you think of the image overall. I mean, do you like it? What attracts you to it most. You know, stuff like that.

-Thanks,

DMK

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please visit http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...77#post2906977 for my new sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, first things first I think this is a very good start.

but you'll have to work on a few things:

the background is a bit bland. there are usually 2 solutions to this problem. Either ignore the background completely, or integrate it into the piece by adding more depth elements to it. At the moment, it seems as if the room stops completely after a few meters.

Next, the composition. the characters currently stand both at the exact same distance from the viewpoint. This makes the image seem flat. you should choose one character as the main one and make him stand out a bit more.

Finally, Volumes. Your characters looks like they're made out of assembled pieces of cardboard. Try to think about them in 3d. You can search for tutorials on lighting and volumes on this very site. you'll find plenty.

Don't get me wrong, this is super good. Just don't give up, everyone has to start somewhere, and we never stop improving.

cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, thanks. There's no way I can redo this though. He needs it by wednsday, and I have no other backgrounds for this. It'll just have to do. But I'll just think about these things the next time.

Please visit http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...77#post2906977 for my new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could be totally wrong, but I'm not sure it's legal to sell work containing Disney characters, especially Mickey Mouse, unless you work for Disney (and even then...). Apart from that... Do I like this image? Honestly, no. It kind of hurts to look at it. If you can get hold of a better camera, by all means do so. This one takes really blurry pictures. Also, if you could resize your images before posting them here, that would be awesome.

To get down to the specifics of your picture, you might want to try making Mickey and Minnie look more like Mickey and Minnie (in your future endeavors, I mean. I know you can't alter this now, but there's hope for the future.). For one thing, I know they have bigger eyes and rounder ears. Also, your line work could stand to be a little smoother and more sure. Mickey's stance is really stiff, and Minnie's face looks like she's been having Botox injections.

Please don't take anything I've said badly. It wasn't meant to be offensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about it. Thanks. Agreed with the line art. Never really have painted before

Last edited by DMK; May 18th, 2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.