Art: Demon WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Demon WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Demon WIP

Hi, I'm new here and was asking for help with anatomy, such as good books with defined or drawn people in poses, etc. I'm just now starting to try and get serious with 28mm sculpting and began this one 4 days ago. I'm sure some stuff is off but not sure what it is exactly? I know the calf on the kneeling leg is low and the wrist on the sword arm is bent or something.

Do the thighs and arms look off anywhere in particular? I'm not real good at figuring the inner head of the tricep and where it attaches yet. Anyway, I did a lot of steel fabrication and cast bronze back in school but never did much figure drawing at all or figure study what so ever. I guess you could say I need beginers books for sure. Only 1-2 years in the sculpting stage so I need some help.

Thanks in advance:

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that jumps right out at me is that his leaft hand is bigger than his right...a lot bigger.
    I am still studying human anatomy so I am not going to try to tell you anything there, it looks like a demon, so it could have different musculature. If you want a couple of books to study....try the "Encyclopedia Anatomicae" it has human and animals in it...skeletal structure, movement, musculature, etc. Also, many art books...like for figure drawing and life drawing would help you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it. To my mind its a Demon - they're meant to be imperfect.

You've already got a back with extra vertebrate and what looks like some exoskeleton. I think you've got some extra ribs as well.

If I thought strategically about your model I might suggest you throw on some obviously grotesque body parts. Leave the symmetry for the angels.

It looks very cool

Sigurd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks that was a good catch and I did not notice it. I believe the hand part might be smaller yes. I'll look.

Here is how it turned out so far:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I fixed the arms. 30mm sculpt btw. I did learn a bad thing about green stuff don't get it hot while soft. It expands and blisters. I did the arms 3 times now because of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sculpt man- specially like th horns the sword and the spine details...
    What did u make the sword with. And wud u happen to have any armature pics??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hari Gopinathan View Post
    Nice sculpt man- specially like th horns the sword and the spine details...
    What did u make the sword with. And wud u happen to have any armature pics??
    The sword is plastic card. You can get it in sheets or rod, sold at some craft shops and anywhere architectural supplies are sold. Plastruct is a big one:
    http://www.plastruct.com/
    Here were some early stages if you want to see how I built him and changed it over time:
    Armature is simple floral wire soldered in place then bent into position. I base it from a 8head tall human and split the frame into even 20mm sections. This allowed me to measure where to bend the figure. Knees straight he was 60mm top of head but when legs were bent he is 30mm top of head crouching down.

Here I began a little muscle work on the thighs and a rough idea where I needed to work in the abdomen muscles. I'm not very good at anatomy yet, just began looking at it closely, so I some time have to mark out sections that will get covered and fixed later. Helps me line up the next sections better though.

At this stage I worked in the ribs and spine, as you can see it was very alien looking at first.

The next few stages were not much different from what you have seen above now. So I work in sections, the reason being I have little room on these tiny sculpts and tend to squish things with my fingers. I like to set a thumb on a cured area to help steady my hand and it's very easy to find soft putty that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tweaked this a little bit more, redid the chain to look smoother and a few details of the muscle eating away into the chest bone. Any suggestion for the sword, it sucks. I just can't get a good idea for it. I also need to rework the face and calves a tiny bit:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, think I'm done apart a little fix here or there. I like the face now and decided upon a simple sword. I'm doing 5 more of these when I get my anatomy books so any one have ideas they might like to see?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My host is down right now so I had to post via attachment. I plan to make a second head variation but this one is now done.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.