Girl with sword

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Girl with sword

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Girl with sword

So this is my first ever digitally rendered figure and I'd really like some comments and criticisms. The whole image was created in Gimp. I used posemaniacs for the ref for the torso, arms and head. Legs were unrefed and I used a Victoria's Secret model as a ref for the chest after my wife made sarky comments about her lack of any support. The image was first created in greyscale, followed by a colour layer. Now I don't know how colour layers work in photoshop, but in gimp this left the image looking very light and washed out. I flattened the image, duplicated it as a multiply layer and fiddled with the opacity to get values that looked a little better.

There are things I don't like about it, but I'd love to hear comments and advice from people here. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by torstan; May 16th, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great image, I like the pose, although I think the face has a conflicting docile expression.
    What's striking me initially though is that the legs seems too short, particularly the lower leg. I also think the feet are too small and the shoes lack any detail, it almost looks like she's wearing really high socks. I think making the shoes deeper and adding a sole will help.
    Also the energy circular thing coming from her hand almost looks like she's swinging something.
    I kind of feel like the breast are too big but I'm sure thats just down to preference.
    Nice work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. They're good points. I've been fiddling with the legs for a while. They're the right length in head units, but I see what you mean - especially the back one. I don't think I pinned down the perspective enough at the start.

You've got me on the face. I was going for stern but I think I hit bored and disinterested on the way. I certainly need to practice facial expressions.

Again. the back foot is correctly sized from measurements (around 1 head) but the front foot is probably too heavily foreshortened. And yes, the boots have a chronic lack of detail A sole probably would go a long way to fixing that and grounding the pose.

As for the breasts - well this was done for an advert for a fantasy game that prides itself on harking back to fantasy tropes. The breasts were something of an editorial decision, but if she's fighting like that she's going to have back problems in later life

Thanks a lot for taking the time to critique this. I really appreciate it.

Nw I know this is a crap question, but I've read the sticky at the top of the forum and attached the image using the attachment manager. How do I get it to work as a thumbnail? Thanks for helping out a new(ish) user.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing I noticed was she’s squatty... like a dwarven woman or something.

The other thing was the wind you're implying. It seems that you've got a super gust blowing her hair, but only a mini gust blowing her loin cloth (or whatever it's called).

Oh, and the thumbnail thing? I can't get it to work sometimes either. It's like the thing has a mind of its own.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, that's a comment I'm getting a lot about this. Initially I had the view coming from 30 degrees above her. Then I adjusted it back to front on. I think at some place in that process I made her look squat. Something to watch next time.

As for the wind, I know the hair is getting picked up a lot more. That was a bit of a cheat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to second the comments about her legs, they seem way too small and squat in proportion to the rest of her. And I could be totally wrong about this, but her head seems too small as well.

I'd like to see what this looks like after you rework it with the critiques you've received in mind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmbrMerlinus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at it again I'm pretty sure it's the lack of a sole on those boots thats making her look short. I think slimming down her calf a bit on that front leg would help as well. Also that front foot is definitely looking much smaller than it should, thats the one I was talking about before, should have been clearer sorry, the back one looks fine.

To get it as a thumbnail, click to edit your original post, then click advanced option. Under the space for text there should be a button 'manage attachments' click that, then upload your image.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, yep I did that on the first post. The image is uploaded using the attachments manager. Not sure what's going on there.

Anyway, comments taken into account - here's an updated version. Alterations made:

1. had another shot at the feet, using some boots for reference. Specifically tried to make them more grounded.
    2. Enlarged her front lower leg.
    3. Enlarged her head just slightly as it was indeed too small.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot everyone for the comments and criticisms. This is really helpful.

Name:  FighterColourDA.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  33.1 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.