Art: Some spray to seal a graphite drawing (and then be able to paint over it) (ANSWERED)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Some spray to seal a graphite drawing (and then be able to paint over it) (ANSWERED)

Hello everybody,

I've been trying to get a way to paint over a graphite drawing so that it won't smudge just a tiny bit and I can't seem to find anything that works.

At my local art supplies store the salesman advised me to use a good fixative and paint over that, but the fixative seems to dilute in the water I use and the graphite smudges quite a bit.
    I tried to put some quick drying oil medium on top of the graphite + fixative. This worked rather well and I can paint on top of the dried medium without smudging the graphite, but when applying the medium the graphite smudged a bit!

So what I'm really looking for is some sort of spray that seals a drawing completely and which I can paint over..?

I read something about Krylon workable fixative, but I can't seem to find anything that sounds or looks like that around here (I live in Holland), and the guy at the art store says he never heard of some spray specifically for sealing a drawing to paint over it...

I know it's possible because I've seen multiple painters paint over a drawing (on video).. I just need the right technique.
    Can somebody help me with this please?

Love
    Marleen.

P.S. the store I go to sells Winsor & Newton, Talens, and some other smaller brands..
    P.P.S. I usually paint with water soluble oil paints.

Last edited by NoŽ; May 17th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post resinous sealer

The problem you're experiencing is that the solvent (turpentine or mineral spirits) you are using in your medium is breaking down the graphite causing the smearing. You could reduce the amount of thinner but that probably would not suit your technique. An acrylic clear sealer such as Americana or Lascaux Fixative should eliminate your problem. Be sure to allow adequate dry time.

The only other thing I know of that will offer enough resistance would be some type of amber or copal finish. Doubtful that you can get that in a spray can but I am certain they are plentiful mediums in your area. You should experiment by thinning out copal or amber medium to a spray consistency to use with a pump sprayer or air brush. You should also continue to use this as a medium throughout your painting.

Ask Maurice.Org

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ask maurice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much!
    I will go to another (more specialized) store soon and get Lascaux fixative. The guy in my art supply store had never heard of that stuff but I guess it's just not such a good store then.

thanks again, you really helped me out here

Love
    Marleen,

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.