Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Working on Poses and Anatomy

Name:  Pose Practice Nail.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  60.2 KB
    Well, this is my first post here on ConceptArt.org.
    I've been working on improving my understanding of anatomy and poses recently, and would love to get some critique and advice from you guys. There are so many talented people on here 0.o
    I hope I'll be at that level someday.

Last edited by Aloci; May 15th, 2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I'd like a thumbnail on this post.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, you've definitely come to the right place. More talented artists here than you can shake a stick at.
    Crit wise, it's a good start, your blocking in the shapes first, the only problem I have with this method is that you lose a lot of the natural shapes in the human form. I suggest reducing the opacity of that image, then drawing it over the top of it trying to put a bit more shape/form back into it.
    Another issue is that your bodies are seemingly genderless at the moment. Spend some time looking at images/photos or anatomy books to learn where the body bulges and bends across the two sexes. Then just sit back and draw, draw as many people, in as many poses ass you can from reference/life. Then have a go at a few more from your head. Then analyze them and see where you need to improve, then do some more studies focusing on those issues as well as just general studies. Basically just draw.
    Also try to remember there are usually 7.5-8 heads in a full human body, you are on about 6-6.5 currently.
    Any books by Bridgeman or Loomis will be invaluable to you, and are readily available for free download on the internet. Hogarths dynamic figure drawing is another book I would recommend.
    I suggest starting a sketchbook, and filling it with these kinds of sketches. If for nothing else; it's a great way to watch your own progress. I also suggest looking through some sketchbooks, and look at what other people are doing to improve their anatomy and poses. Mr Delicious, Janaschi, and algenpfleger are a few people's I look through when I want ideas, inspiration, or just a general kick up the ass.
    Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to danlambert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh okay.
    Thank you very much for the tips. I'll see about messing with this sketch a few times.
    I'm also going to go and look for those books you mentioned.
    Perfect! I've got a new sketchbook with barely anything in it! I guess I'll start filling it with some sketches. Again, thanks for the critique and advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA, Aloci. Enjoy your stay.

You're on the right track. The main problem I see with these poses, though, is that things are rather stiff, particularly the torsos. You should base your poses around a "line of action" and make sure the limbs appear to be curving and flowing. For example, the lower character's grounded leg...it looks very straight and stiff. If you push out the forms more and make it less symmetrical according to a flow, it'll look much better. (Don't bend the actual bones of the character, though. Let the silhouette make the shape. For example, the calf muscles can curve while the actual shin remains straight)

Here's a quick sketch of what I mean, since I'm sort of fumbling with words here:

(And one last thing, the pose will be very much affected by forces. Think like a physics engine; the character's getting a kick to the head, so his head will be pushed away from the kick and the rest of his body will be tugged that way as well.)

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangleworm View Post
    Welcome to CA, Aloci. Enjoy your stay.

You're on the right track. The main problem I see with these poses, though, is that things are rather stiff, particularly the torsos. You should base your poses around a "line of action" and make sure the limbs appear to be curving and flowing. For example, the lower character's grounded leg...it looks very straight and stiff. If you push out the forms more and make it less symmetrical according to a flow, it'll look much better. (Don't bend the actual bones of the character, though. Let the silhouette make the shape. For example, the calf muscles can curve while the actual shin remains straight)

(And one last thing, the pose will be very much affected by forces. Think like a physics engine; the character's getting a kick to the head, so his head will be pushed away from the kick and the rest of his body will be tugged that way as well.)
    Yeah, I was actually trying to draw those poses using an action line. But I see what you mean. Thanks for posting those sketches too. It'll be a big help.

And about the physics of the kick up there, the lower character is supposed to be dodging the blow. Lol I had someone else confuse this too. I guess some speed lines would have helped.

Thank you for the feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.