Thanks

My first 3d charatcer animation : )

This is my first 3D character animation, his name is derrick. This took me about 3 weeks of fine tuning while being in school. Crits are welcome and tell me what you think.
    Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    my dear boy, my advice to to go to another school. i don't know what they're teaching you but it's not good. your character has no motivation for any of his actions. the things this little robot arm is doing makes no sense. i know its your first 3d character animation and animation isn't easy, but all the more reason to start out simpler. go make a bouncing ball look good, then do a flour sack, then lets talk.
    -start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielBodinof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There are some moments of really smooth animation which is pretty hard to do first animation

It does seem like you were trying to tell too much without focusing majorly on your principles of animation. Learn more of the basics then work yourself up

Thanks
    Thank you for the honesty, I said first character animation, I've done a nice ball bounce and it turned out great, I was proud of this because I focused on the personality and I thought I gave it plenty, please tell me how it doesn't have any.
    As for changing schools, that wont happen for me, although deep down inside I wish I could. I am well aware that The Art institutes teach software and not animation( to say) I suppose I am trying to make the best of what I got going. I plan to further my education through Animation Mentor.
    I didn't expect such negative thoughts ( though I appreciate them , I will learn from them also) because my teachers and my peers and everyone said it was good.
    Keep the thoughts coming

Thanks
    It's critical to build a good foundation with basic animation so that you can portray what you really mean in the future. Maybe you could show us some of your bouncing ball animations or other stuff like that so that we can help you out as much as possible.

This is a place to grow for everyone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschlossman View Post
    The Art institutes
    I can sympathize.

Thanks
    think of me as gordon ramsay and you as a lowly chef. basically i tear you down so i can build you back up. Often times my critisizms on here are harsh because of exactly what you said, your teachers and classmates told you it was good. Theres very little educated critique in this world. Very rarely does anyone get critique by someone who knows what they're talking about. Furthermore, I'm harsh because it weeds out the people that havent decided to master animation no matter what. I don't want to waste my time and energy on someone whos trying animation out on a lark. It seems you're rather dedicated and have a plan so I'm going to go through this piece step by step for you. First off, your character spins whenever he goes from point A to point B. why? if you're going to do something like that it should be to create personality or uniqueness. In this situation it doesn't, it seems like you're making him spin just because you learned about the rotate on X axis tool. Secondly, he gets to his block, and then does this weired triple take where he's pointed at it, then he looks away, then back then back again. why? this isn't reading clearly. it looks like a mistake. then he picks the block up, and the hand drops quickly for a second and then continues up till he drops the block. i think you're trying to illustrate gravity and weight here, but again, it doesn't read clearly. study gravity and weight and how it affects speed and motion. 3rd, when you cut away, your staging is bad because we don't see the block that he was just picking up, when i first saw this it looked like the block just disappeared. then he goes to the next block, why? does he not want to pick up the first block anymore? whats the psychology behind it? in general you have lots of strange actions that don't read clearly. the character seems to be darting around aimlessly making jerky motions and it's not clear why. just because you CAN make a character do something, like rotate, or spin, or raise or lower, or flinch...doesn't mean you should have it do those things. There must always be motivation. once there is motivation to do something, you must figure out how to illustrate and animate it CLEARLY through use of timing and spacing.
    -start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Daniel,
    I really appreciate that you feel I am dedicated to this and I am, I do understand that there hardly ever are real critiques anymore and that this ''occasion'' shouldn't be taken lightly by me, so I'm going to explain every thought that went through my head with this piece. Alright so the assignment was '' Model a crane and make it pick a box up and move it from point A to point B'' My goal as I said was to give it personality while meeting the assignment objectives. His goal is to pick the boxes and put them into the pit, so first-off the spinning, It wasn't a ''hey I can rotate this'' sort of thing, I was trying to give it a childish hyper-active person-a and since it has no movable facial features it was hard for a new guy like me to get my emotions off the way I wanted to, so the spinning was what I did. I felt it gave him energy, I do understand that you never animate something without a reason behind animating it. So when he spins around the last time and reaches the dark box I thought that the double-take would give him a apprehensive feel like he didn't know whether or not to pick it up. So when he tries to pick it up I thought the bounce up then down again would show that that weight did exist within that box. So he drops it and spins around again, I thought this was my ''portal'' into saying that he wasn't going to give up and he still wanted achieve the goal of moving the boxes. So he gets around to the second box and goes to pick it up and quickly lunges back, I thought this showed that he was scarred that the second box was like the first and that he didn't know whether or not he wanted to pick it up, then he picks it up anyway right after he finds out its not, So he swings around with it and brings it beside the dark box, He begins bringing it back as to gain momentum so he could hit the other box, he brings it back three times before actually hitting it, I hoped to convey a feeling of apprehension because with every move he get faster and faster, when he finally does hit the box the one flies away and the heavy one just kind-of slides showing the different weights between the two boxes,when he sees that the box he was trying to hit into the hole doesn't fall in his arm drops and the claw relaxes, my thought was to show that he was sad and disappointed the box didn't go into the hole, when it finally does fall in he whips the arm up and spins around again, my thought with this last action was to show that he was still the same chipper crane as he was in the first 5 seconds in the piece.
    As for the strange actions, I imagine you mean by the fingers moving a lot and such, the idea with this was to show that he wasn't so robotic and more organic and alive ( a bad choice?)
    I will be honest, there are parts where I feel that I didn't have the audiences attention the whole time, like when he spins around a lot, sure that would get old but that was the personality I tried to give and I think it looks better than him just moving along the rail without much exaggeration to it.
    I might have been being to ambitious with how much I was trying to accomplish this early I understand one needs a strong foundation to build on but I wanted a go at the personality, be honest Daniel did I accomplish even a little of that? I feel I did.

Thanks
    Hey buddy ! well, i think everything has already been said about your animation ! Just try to do more basic stuff, having some foundations about timing, spacing, anticipation ,etc, is so much important ! well, if you plan to study with animation mentor, you'll also work on the basics, so it's cool ( if you don't have any ideas about the stuff they are doing, just check this blog out : http://www.dave-logan.com/weblog/?cat=16&paged=2 , there are basic exercises, just do them ) Anyway, keep it up !

Thanks
    Thanks Walid D , I do feel like I should do ALOT more basic things, Im getting too ahead of myself

Thanks
    it looks fine in some parts, maybe you should try to work in more basic stuff and in your modeling