"Ascesion of Gorromah" - Warning: Highly Intricated Pencil Work - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 87 of 87
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hmo View Post


    As Griever stated above, you've got to have a realistic approach in understanding your subject matter before you try to bend it into something you'd call stylized. You've got to understand what it SHOULD look like before you turn it into something else entirely. As far as composition and design you're pushing for; it's very eclectic, if not messy. It lacks a comfortable flow to connect each element of the design which makes it feel chaotic. Not to mention, your technique of penciling/rendering reinforces this with strokes going every which way, lacking rhyme or reason in not using the direction or depth of a stroke to play on the shape of an object.

    Is that what you were wanting? :p
    thanks for the critique, but it seems like you have a fixation of what a painting should look like which contradicts with the statement I am trying to make. The subject matter and title hints at what style is appropriate. Would this painting make sense if it had rhyme or reasonable strokes and a comfortable flow? whether you realize it, that man is being hurt. the narrative is tense if not bordering horror. Would it make much sense for me to use matisse line quality and rythnms? I thought so....

    I think the problem with some of ya'll is that you are so accustomed to that sleak artificiality of design and composition of the people of CA that you allow that artificial sleakness to bleed over into your personal aesthetic. why CA artists aren't as prominet. Because they CAN"T design. My line quality reads what i want. Plus, besides that, the fact that this painting was made with graphite stick tells why theres coarseness to the texture.

    Also....do people have a understanding of psychological flow. that should lead to why the painting looks how it does.

     

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 662 Times in 490 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    but iam not dali
    Of course not.. Even Dalí was not Dalí for more than 30 years... And he was able to do what he did only because he had a million hours of classical study, a brilliant mind and the right and precise time and place (Residencia de Estudiantes, in Madrid, along with Garcia Lorca and Luis Buńuel, among many other spanish vanguardists, a real cradle of genius)

    Picasso himself said that it took him 20 years to paint like a master and 40 years to paint like a kid, so don't even think that you're ready to take this step into de-contructivism of reality and get back to the basics: Anatomy, Values, Figure and Life Drawing. Then the advanced subjects like harmony and composition, and then you can take this step you want to take so soon.

    Now, apart from that rant, I'll critique your work here in the terms you're asking for:

    The composition is weak, there's no centre, no focal point. All the lines in the piece are erratical, and when they point somewhere, they point out of the drawing.

    The linework is messy at some points, and some shades show that you had no patience and just pressed the whole lead of your pencil against your paper. You have lot's of eyes in the composition, and you misuse them. Instead of them leading somewhere, they get you even more lost..

    Dalí, Picasso, Monet, Magritte,.. all of them studied the paintings from Rubens, Velazquez, Goya, Rembrandt, El Greco, ... Maybe you should start doing the same before..

    Last edited by Quike Garcia; May 18th, 2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Fixing Typo
    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

    The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred
     

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:


  4. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks
    2,379
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Any one can make a scribble on a paper and say it's an expression of their inner desires. It probably is too, in a way. Doesn't really make it a good picture tho...

    "whether you realize it, that man is being hurt. the narrative is tense if not bordering horror. Would it make much sense for me to use matisse line quality and rythnms? I thought so...."

    Just because you tell yourself the picture express this message it doesn't mean it does. If nobody else sees it or can appreciate it it doesn't matter. It's like writing a book in jibberish and then get mad at others for not understanding the deep underlying messages within the story...

    Also, your picture includes people yet it's clearly evident you don't know how to draw those. Lack of knowledge does not equal artistic expression whether you claim it's 'intentional' or not.

    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio
     

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:


  6. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikenobi View Post
    Of course not.. Even Dalí was not Dalí for more than 30 years... And he was able to do what he did only because he had a million hours of classical study, a brilliant mind and the right and precise time and place (Residencia de Estudiantes, in Madrid, along with Garcia Lorca and Luis Buńuel, among many other spanish vanguardists, a real cradle of genius)

    Picasso himself said that it took him 20 years to paint like a master and 40 years to paint like a kid, so don't even think that you're ready to take this step into de-contructivism of reality and get back to the basics: Anatomy, Values, Figure and Life Drawing. Then the advanced subjects like harmony and composition, and then you can take this step you want to take so soon.

    Now, apart from that rant, I'll critique your work here in the terms you're asking for:

    The composition is weak, there's no centre, no focal point. All the lines in the piece are erratical, and when they point somewhere, they point out of the drawing.

    The linework is messy at some points, and some shades show that you had no patience and just pressed the whole lead of your pencil against your paper. You have lot's of eyes in the composition, and you misuse them. Instead of them leading somewhere, they get you even more lost..

    Dalí, Picasso, Monet, Magritte,.. all of them studied the paintings from Rubens, Velazquez, Goya, Rembrandt, El Greco, ... Maybe you should start doing the same before..
    advice taken but like i said. i'd rather not post my studies in the critique forum. If you are under the impression that i don't study you must not have followed the forum. But treating me like a amatuer by tone when I have shown that i am adept at these things is futile. i am not saying classical study is pointless. but if you know the classics you know that they used projectors, graphs and also sorts of tools plus references. lets know context. for this painting i used nothing but a mechanical pencil and graphite stick ...hell i barely used an eraser. i know that makes this piece infinitely better in its complete rawness. Cool, technicality could be better. HOwever i Did go to art school and there i realized everybody is not going to draw like the classics. And when you learn where you actually stand, things become clearer. I create art for its own sake. I could give a fck if its not accurate because quite frankly i didnt want to site down and follow the steps to create a masterpiece.

    None of ya'll are creating masterpieces so why should i.


    my shit is gritty. messy has too negative a connotation. gritty.

     

  7. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    1,693
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 662 Times in 490 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post

    my shit is gritty. messy has too negative a connotation. gritty.
    No sir.. Messy.

    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105092
    This is gritty

    気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

    The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred
     

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quike Garcia For This Useful Post:


  9. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    in addition... any joe schmoe off the side of the street would love this painting. why not reinforce what i did right than shit on your high horse like this drawing is wack. fuk, most of ya'll try 10 times as hard as me and can;t draw as ill. this shit took me five hours on 12x14.

     

  10. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikenobi View Post
    not impressed....seriously.

     

  11. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    528
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 215 Times in 141 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Anatomy study is exceedingly overrated. to me, SEEING is far more important or else references will not even help. I can see, so it is mute to tell me to master anatomy because quite frankly I am at the point where I can flesh it out with modest exactitude with a reference. This is because I can see. Telling people to study does little help if they can not SEE.

    Also, you contradicted yourself. First you said the masters mastered anatomy, then you said even professionals use references for more accuracy due to lack of memory. Check yourself.

    What is important is intent however. If i am not intending for accuracy, please don't criqitue it. I was wrong by telling Pezzle to fuck off but I didn't like the implications of Pezzle's comments.
    Whatever. See you in 20 years down the line still trying to make it with that attitude. Have fun.

     

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    382
    Thanks
    380
    Thanked 164 Times in 99 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    in addition... any joe schmoe off the side of the street would love this painting. why not reinforce what i did right than shit on your high horse like this drawing is wack. fuk, most of ya'll try 10 times as hard as me and can;t draw as ill. this shit took me five hours on 12x14.
    This right here is where your biggest problem is - you don't understand (or at least can't be honest with yourself) about where your skill actually lies.

    It's pretty obvious that you're not actually looking for critiques or advice because you've been given plenty of both in this forum ever since you got here (I looked back through your past threads) and you haven't taken any of it in and continue to believe that 'your shit don't stink'.

    You only wish to be told what a genius you are and that being the case, this really is not the place for you - the sycophancy at DeviantArt might be more to your liking.

    You don't deserve the attention that you've been given on these forums. All you have done is wasted people's time with your refusal to take a long hard look at yourself and your work and this bullshit attitude is preventing you and your art from maturing.

     

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to NeecHMonkeY For This Useful Post:


  14. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ShroudStar View Post
    Whatever. See you in 20 years down the line still trying to make it with that attitude. Have fun.

    make what?

     

  15. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NeecHMonkeY View Post
    This right here is where your biggest problem is - you don't understand (or at least can't be honest with yourself) about where your skill actually lies.

    It's pretty obvious that you're not actually looking for critiques or advice because you've been given plenty of both in this forum ever since you got here (I looked back through your past threads) and you haven't taken any of it in and continue to believe that 'your shit don't stink'.

    You only wish to be told what a genius you are and that being the case, this really is not the place for you - the sycophancy at DeviantArt might be more to your liking.

    You don't deserve the attention that you've been given on these forums. All you have done is wasted people's time with your refusal to take a long hard look at yourself and your work and this bullshit attitude is preventing you and your art from maturing.
    i'm on DA.

     

  16. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    Any one can make a scribble on a paper and say it's an expression of their inner desires...

    and this is any old scribble?



    k.

     

  17. #73
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I was hoping to god noone would bump this childish farse. Chauncey never had any intention of taking crit, as he has done nothing but make excuses each time someone has tried to help. Sage goes in every field.

    Can we get a mod to close this or something please? It's decended into a flamewar about the meaning and definition of art and the importance of each factor, despite the site URL pretty much summing up the aim here.

    EDIT: I suggest you don't grace this arrogant idiot with further response, but if anyone would like to join me in reporting him, that would be an excellent effort toward preserving the tone and caliber of CA.com.

    Last edited by Griever; May 18th, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
    Sweet is sleep to me and even more to be of stone,
    While the wrong and shame endure.
    To be without sight or sense is a most happy change for me,
    Therefore do not rouse me; Hush! Speak low.
     

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Griever For This Useful Post:


  19. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Psychology 101

    honestly you people know nothing of human psychology whatsoever. If my sketch is so amatuerish, why the flame? WHy are you people getting so worked up over something on the internet? If it was wack, why the backlash?


    that being said. I ask for a critique of design which is separate from what i got which was a spiel about the importance of anatomical study. You people are the ones pouring feul on the fire. Just give me my critique which relates to the title and my motiviaton. I could care a less for some spiel on how my humans are not looking right.

     

  20. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    honestly you people know nothing of human psychology whatsoever. If my sketch is so amatuerish, why the flame? WHy are you people getting so worked up over something on the internet? If it was wack, why the backlash?


    that being said. I ask for a critique of design which is separate from what i got which was a spiel about the importance of anatomical study. You people are the ones pouring feul on the fire. Just give me my critique which relates to the title and my motiviaton. I could care a less for some spiel on how my humans are not looking right.
    "Why the flame?" The flame is because you're being rude to people who tried to help you out of the kindness of their hearts, using crude language and insults after they FINALLY call you out on being rude and condescending to them. Classy.

    As for your requested critique, I'm pretty sure you got a whole bunch of critiques about everything you asked for, not just anatomical study.

    That being said, if everyone on CA is all about anatomy, using grids, making "fake" art for money, etc etc, and you're looking for people to discuss your ideas of design, I'd suggest finding a different place to ask for help from. Clearly no one here can give you what you're looking for :/

    K J Dawson's KreativeWerks - my new daily sketch blog (more like almost-daily...)
    My DeviantARt page - some of my "finished" works; updated sporadically
     

  21. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Griever View Post
    I was hoping to god noone would bump this childish farse. Chauncey never had any intention of taking crit, as he has done nothing but make excuses each time someone has tried to help. Sage goes in every field.

    Can we get a mod to close this or something please? It's decended into a flamewar about the meaning and definition of art and the importance of each factor, despite the site URL pretty much summing up the aim here.

    EDIT: I suggest you don't grace this arrogant idiot with further response, but if anyone would like to join me in reporting him, that would be an excellent effort toward preserving the tone and caliber of CA.com.

    re read the thread. people edged me on. if i get banned because I was actting civil and someone starts to patronize me and make jokes about my art then I curse well excuse me.

    anyway, you people don't know how to read to internet. it is a cold medium.

     

  22. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    fuck you
    Wow.
    If there was ever a question that you deserve what you are getting, this is the proof right here.

    but don't tell me to do these things when i am seeking advice on design.
    At this point, I don't know that anyone cares what you are seeking advice on as you haven't given anyone a reason to respect you or your artwork. The fact that anyone replied to you with a legitimate critique is truly a sad thing. Seriously, there are a lot of other artists on this site who are significantly more open to critiques and far more deserving. Personally, I don't care if you get frustrated or not. Your insults and tunnel vision have made me regret giving you any kind of compliment whatsoever.

    You don't deserve compliments and you don't deserve critique of any sort.

    Last edited by Dusty; May 18th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
     

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:


  24. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdawson80 View Post


    That being said, if everyone on CA is all about anatomy, using grids, making "fake" art for money, etc etc, and you're looking for people to discuss your ideas of design, I'd suggest finding a different place to ask for help from. Clearly no one here can give you what you're looking for :/

    maybe i'll go to deviant art.

     

  25. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Wow.
    If there was ever a question that you deserve what you are getting, this is the proof right here.

    You are on the wrong site, Chauncey.
    yt takes the internet too seriously.

     

  26. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    283
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    yt takes the internet too seriously.
    No, I don't. But I do take this site, my art, and the art of others seriously.
    Clearly, you are only interested in antagonizing and pulling frustration out of people to the point of them wall-of-texting you.

    That's called a troll, and if there is one thing that I will give you a positive critique on, it's that. You are a DAMN fine troll.

     

  27. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dover, NJ
    Posts
    1,133
    Thanks
    472
    Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post

    That's called a troll, and if there is one thing that I will give you a positive critique on, it's that. You are a DAMN fine troll.

    I know, I was somewhat amused for a while.

    "Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com
     

  28. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    maybe i'll go to deviant art.
    Actually, I wasn't going to be one of the people who was going to tell you to go to DeviantArt. A) you're already on there, B) I'm already on there, and C) there are a lot of artists that I like on DeviantArt as well, and they work in the industry that I'm most interested in. So while DA isn't the best place for crits, I rather like the site.

    When I suggested you find a place that will give you the critiques/information you are looking for, I really meant it - a place more suited for what you're trying to get across in your artwork. Unfortunately, I don't know of any place off hand, since my current focus is more on concept art/comic art. WetCanvas might be a place that could help, or at least have a few links to sites that may suit your needs.

    K J Dawson's KreativeWerks - my new daily sketch blog (more like almost-daily...)
    My DeviantARt page - some of my "finished" works; updated sporadically
     

  29. #83
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In my mind.
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I'm aware I'm completely new here and all but why isn't this guy banned yet or this post locked??

    My crit is its an interesting piece and looks like your trying to look like or be compared to Dali. There are a number of aspects that need work though.
    -The 'ufo' in the top conrner, that a ufo or a chandiler thing? I can't tell because its antenea is connected to the edge of the picture.
    -The main center characaters face is beyond distorted to really see what expression its making.
    -The building behind that main character is square head on, making it look kind of cheap IMO because it looks like the prespective should have some kind of downwardish angle.

    All in all its confusing and not that great.

    As for your treatment of the rest of these people in this forum, drop the attitude, learn to take some advice, get back to becoming a better artist because you need some work.

    I recommend someone lock this post and ban this guy because I really hope this guy is actually trolling the forum and not like this in real life.

     

  30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vidar_77 For This Useful Post:


  31. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mölndal, Sweden
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks
    2,379
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    If i get banned because I was actting civil and someone starts to patronize me and make jokes about my art then I curse well excuse me.
    Trollish behavior to accuse others of the things you yourself did... Don't you think?

    And no I never said your piece was any old scribble but have fun thinking i did

    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

    Sketchy Link

    Portfolio
     

  32. #85
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    vancouver BC
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 61 Times in 61 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I didn't say i don't want to learn. I just saying, offer me something that can help. Not just canned statements to justify your lack of competence in design. I am trying to become a better artist, not draftsman. I am already a good draftsman.
    Quoted for emphasis...on how pretentious you are.


    -------- I am Available For T Shirt, Logo and Tattoo Design --------
    ---------- http://www.zedkhov.deviantart.com ----------
     

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to zedkhov For This Useful Post:


  34. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    t'internet
    Posts
    90
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    From the devART thread...

    "You have some talent but it seems you invest a lot of time in cartoons. Not my style. I suggest you dabble with tradition painting or even graffiti. Be more eclectic."

    HAH. Oh, wow. So when YOU tell someone to change their style, it's good advice. But when someone tells YOU to change your style, suddenly they're out of line?

    Man, I haven't had this much fun since Insect Battle.

     

  35. #87
    Elwell's Avatar
    Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Chauncey is taking a mandatory two-month leave of absence to work on his social skills.
    We'll see what happens in July.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
     

  36. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 6

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •