Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Joe Parrilla's Sketchbook!

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Joe Parrilla's Sketchbook!

Last edited by JParrilla; April 25th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
    "We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have tons of stuff from the year but theres no way im scanning all of it.. so heres what I did over the past 3 days.
    Bridgman, Loomis, Vanderpoel, faces from photos, Hogarth, and a Pontormo copy

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by JParrilla; May 18th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Busy weekend.. hardly found anytime to draw. Im really pissed but its ok Ill make up for it. Heres a quick drawing in pen from reference at characterdesigns and some Shinkawa studies in marker .. Also can anyone tell me how to get a thumbnail image to show in front of my thread title in the sketchbook section?

Last edited by JParrilla; May 18th, 2009 at 01:35 PM.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update.. figures from reference using vilppus method, and some Loomis block forms to study light on the figure. Im starting life drawing again soon so I wanna get my procedure down.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketchbook pages from today.. just crap from life.. All ballpoint pen.. cheap BIC ones. I usually use them when drawing in my sketchbook outdoors.. shades similar to a pencil.. but doesnt rub off like one.. I really like them.

Its soooo frustrating trying to improve! Well back to drawing.. more updates later possibly.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some torso studies I did late last night from Joseph Sheppards anatomy book. I have to start doing more drawing. Im gonna start work on some actual pieces and work on them in between my studies.. probably a painting or a cast drawing.. we'll see

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a quick dump .. not much because im lazy .. Im starting to draw more though which is good. I have so much drive, I just need to get my ass into gear.
    So I have some moleskine pages.. this is the book i take outside with me so it will contain life sketches or imaginary nonsense, this time its ballpoint sketches and a pigma micron drawing of my room. Then some faces from photos and a page of doodles. Finally a pear from life in both graphite and colored pencil, and 2 eggs with a napkin in pencil. How am I doing???

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonightss stuff. Ive been having trouble with my figure torsos so I opened up constructive anatomy and did some pages. I learned a lot. Also a copy of Frank Frazetta and Raphael. These two guys really knew how to draw the figure so I thought I could learn a thing or two.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies! Are these from peck?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGuy View Post
    nice studies! Are these from peck?
    Thanks! nope.. the anatomy books I work from are Joseph Sheppard, Bridgman, and Vanderpoel. Sheppard is the most intricate.. showing bones, muscles, etc. I use that when I want to learn a body part in great detail. My last update was all Bridgman, I just tend to not follow his style 100% which is why it doesnt look exactly like his work.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Sketchbook, much appreciated.
    Your studies here are coming along very nicely; your pencil work looks great. I wouldn't mind seeing some of your finished work aside from the studies. Again though, everything here looks great. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nurraymjo View Post
    Hey man, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Sketchbook, much appreciated.
    Your studies here are coming along very nicely; your pencil work looks great. I wouldn't mind seeing some of your finished work aside from the studies. Again though, everything here looks great. Keep it up.
    Thanks man! Yes I think I need to get some finished work done. Im going to start a cast drawing that I plan to work on for a few days. I also wanna get some good references and attempt an illustration. Thanks for the crit... keep em coming

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just something to add for tonight.. Im going to draw more but I dont wanna scan anything later so Ill just dump this now and show the rest tomorrow. My dads hammer was lying around so I threw some light on it and spent about 1 hour doing this in pencil.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! Love the studies you're doing here -- I have to start doing more of these myself. Some good movement/gestures in your full body sketches. Keep it up!

Heather Behl
    |my sketchbook|deviantART art dump|

Crits will be gobbled like candy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So Ive always thought that If I went back through some of the books I used earlier in my learning.. it would be like taking steps back. I realized now how wrong I was. I decided to work through Figure Drawing For All Its Worth again. I went through this book over a year ago when I first began drawing. I started doing it again and its amazing how much new stuff Im learning a year later due to the knowledge Ive learned since then. Old concepts that were nonsense to me back then are really clicking now. So Im going to work through all Loomis books from cover to cover now and see what I can learn. Heres some of what Ive done from his book over the past 2 days. I also did a small page of my first ever drawings of fighter jets, in light of my burning desire to create mechanical objects. I need to do more longer and finished drawings along with my short studies from books and stuff. I just need to find the time. ugh. I think Im gonna get a good cast and just draw/paint the shit out of it from many angles. Until then Ill just draw whatevers lying around. Im trying to tackle so many aspects of my art at the same time that its driving me insane. I need to improve EVERYWHERE and I just dont know how to split it up. Well Ill figure it all out eventually. I think right now I just need to DRAW MORE. I should be drawing from life more than anything so Im gonna do just 2 - 3 pages from Loomis or other books everyday, to make sure I dont steal too much time away from doing life studies and other fun stuff

Last edited by JParrilla; May 29th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so this is my first real shot at painting in photoshop.. Ive messed around before but never much. I learned a big lesson from this.. I NEED TO START SMALL! This was way to complicated of an object.. I had tons of trouble seeing the color and shapes.. I pretty much gave up. Im gonna start painting some fruit to get the feel of it. Heres my failure.. Its embarassing but I promised to post everything.. UGH

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not bad for a first effort, Joe. Those reflections must have been hard. I think the various studies of people and parts show a lot of promise. I also liked the little pespective drawing in a room with guitar and the drawing of the jet. I think you are better at mech and environment than you think you are.

The first image in your thread becomes your thumbnail. If you want a different thumbnail then change out what is the first image in the first post. Use the "Go Advanced" feature in Edit mode.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney - Thanks for stopping in man! Yes the reflections made me wanna pull my hair out. Thanks for the crits.. Im hoping that Im better at this stuff than I think I am because I dont think much of my work at all Back to work..

So I found this portrait over at photographymob by Sabina Dimitriu. (I dont know copyright rules and shit but its her photo.. not mine!) I completely fell in love with it and had to draw it. I really wanna do this in color but im still deciding on a medium.. I might try it out in photoshop.. but I think I wanna do a finished piece in oil. Anyways heres my first sketch.. mechanical pencil. Im gonna fix it up and then do some coloring. I might first render the face in pencil though.. Im not sure yet. I think some proportions and sizes are still off so Im gonna get that right first

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to move on from this for tonight so instead of taking out paint I decided to throw some colored pencils on it just to feel out the colors. Other than the pear I posted earlier this is the only time Ive ever used colored pencils. I want to take this further and paint it when I have a chance but this is it for now. My scanner is a cheap piece of shit so the colors arent really right.. Im not making excuses for it but it does look better in person I swear For some reason it makes all of the blacks have a blue hue, and it also made the browns very prominent, especially under the eyes and on the nose.. I actually made the darks very subtle and this scanner made them super dark.. very weird. I should learn how to fix this stuff in photoshop. Im gonna look into a better scanner since Ive been so serious about my art these past few months.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Soo I was working out the other day when a 45 pound plate made its way to my thumb. It is now a purple mess.. And I cant hold a damn pencil. So Im doing whatever I can to get it better because I wanna rip my hair out knowing I cant draw and improve.. I hate wasting time. Well heres a pathetic update of 4 pages I did before this thumb accident. 2 Loomis pages, A photo reffed portrait in pencil, And a messy page of Yoji Shinkawa work.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice SB, I see you're struggling with the face a bit. Try constructing it first and fleshing out the forms. In other words don't think of the face as just lips, eyes, and eyebrows. Some skull studies should give you huge boost hope to see more. Oh yea, I forgot to mention I am taking Sherry Camhy's class this month it's pretty awesome so far!

Last edited by Eugie; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eugie - Thanks for the post man I appreciate it. Yes I have a habit of just drawing what I see alot of the time, which is good but when it comes to the human figure I need to be seeing things as forms like you said. Really understanding whats underneath the skin and how its built. Time to work on that

So I figured out how to hold the pencil without hurting my thumb so I did some Loomis pages, fast gestures from "how to draw comics the marvel way" and a page of my feet Lately Ive just been feeling like I have 10000 things to work on and study but I just dont know how to tackle all of it. I want to improve in so many ways with my art and everytime I do one thing I feel like Im neglecting something else. Maybe If I just give myself more time to practice, Ill give myself enough time to practice everything I want to, instead of doing only what my time allows. I just feel so swamped with things I need to improve on that I get lost in it. Whatever back to work.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeap I know that feeling, you just need to cut things down one at a time. Prioritize things and make a plan, try drawing a figure see what part of that figure you are struggling on the most. From there on you can distinguish what you need to work on, or perhaps try experimenting with a new medium who knows maybe you'll discover something awesome. Either way the important thing is to never stop drawing cya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick figure drawing in pencil from characterdesigns.com
    I absolutely hate doing figure drawing from photos but the summer life drawing at the ASL doesnt start for another few weeks so until then I have to do this. This one was a total failure... I havent done this in so long.. I feel so damn rusty. There are 10000 things wrong with this.. so help me point them out

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, what classes are you taking in ASL? As for the drawing yea you chose a hard pose to draw I must say, for one there's foreshortening in her left leg, and she's kind of going in every direction possible lol. Try to find major landmarks when you construct figure places like the chin, knee, elbows, torso, collar bone, etc, just feel around your body and you can identify what I mean. Feeling a sense of rhythm is very helpful also, relate those major landmarks to each other, when you first look at the figure don't just draw the head and work your way down slowly. Instead, try drawing the head and immediately find how out her head relates to her feet, and draw an invisible or very light line there. That alone should help with her proportions. Use abstract shapes to see the body as a whole, try using straight lines to construct the figure none of that sketchy stuff. Listen to the paper as the teeth crumbles your charcoal or pencil if it's not a smooth soothing sound you are probably thinking too much and just redrawing the same line over and over again. And obviously most important of all have fun with the drawing, if you aren't making mistakes then you aren't challenging yourself enough, hopefully that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eugie - Thanks for the advice man! And Im just taking life drawing at the ASL. I really want to get into some anatomy lectures but there just too expensive for me at the moment. Im just happy to be getting some good nude life drawing done to be honest. All the other stuff like anatomy I can pick up on my own.

So heres a pathetic update. My fingers feeling a bit better but not great. I spent the last 5 days at my girlfriends house so I just brought my moleskine and some pens and markers. Stuff from life on the train ride there, imagination, reffed junk, poses from my mind, etc. I didnt do much drawing at all because we dont see each other too often and I didnt wanna be drawing the whole time. I dont really expect crits.. i just promised to post everything so thats what Im doing. Im home now so I can finally draw my ass off

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, there's nothing pathetic about it. At least you're drawing and not doing something else that doesn't contribute towards your stride. Keep it up buddy you're getting along well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fell in love with Thomas Thompsons painting "Daydreamer".. so I decided to do a pencil study of it.. about 30 minutes.. tons of fun. I loved the little girls expression so much. Heres a link to the original:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1243854486

Ive realized lately that I waste too much time deciding what to draw and what to study.. so I promised myself to JUST DRAW! I think its working. I worry wayy too much and its totally killing me.. sometimes its so bad that I wind up doing nothing at all.. Im so stupid. I know what I should be doing but in my head thats still not enough.. its time to stop this.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man, her right eye is a bit off but other than that I am totally feeling it. Yea I know what you mean, I do that ALOT something I myself really need to work on. In fact I am doing it right now just browsing this forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great to see how far you are progressing already! I so know what you mean about getting so overwhelmed by what you need to learn that you just sit and stare and do nothing....lol. I'm also just learning to choose a direction and just draw. But it's inspiring for me to see how much you have improved in such a short amount of time. Especially your figure drawings. Really nice.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1