Sketchbook: Joe Parrilla's Sketchbook! - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Joe Parrilla's Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey biggjoee great updates, i agree more life or ref studies on proportion because some of the portraits are a looking a tad warped. Are you drawing on a slant or looking straight at the paper when u sketch?

the construction anatomy is nice and definitely would like to see more of those!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flaskpost - Thanks.. and yep theyre coming

snootchy - now that you brought it up.. I wasnt looking straight at the paper for these... that explains the problems. Thanks for the help buddy

Okkk updates.. Page of Bridgman torsoes. I read up on Erik Gists method of learning from Bridgman so Im gonna incorporate it into my next studies. Then my sister and eggs from life with black and white charcoal on toned paper. The hardest thing for me is deciding what value is equal to the tone of the paper... Basically I cant find my midtones.. I guess practice will help?
    Then some moleskine pages of my hands and feet from life. I NEED to scribble around to feel forms and distances when I draw.. so I have a lot of respect for anyone who can draw clean lines with a fineliner and not scribble first.. I find it impossible. Thats why these moleskine pages are so messy. Which may be why my line quality is terrible. If I try to draw with a fineliner and not scribble first... everything ends up totally out of wack. I need to practice that more though I think to gain confidence in my line and proportions. Finally a terrible PS painting of my lamp.. I set the size to pen pressure and kept opacity constant.. PS FINALLY FEELS LIKE REAL PAINT NOW! Well ya its 100% times harder than having it set to opacity because blending isnt as simple as pressing really lightly.. I actually have to pick values and colors now like when Im really painting. Peace out

Attached Images Attached Images          
    "We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man! i don't mind copying my studies, in fact, i encourage it! its all about growth and learning! i admire your drive, keep this up!
    as for the toned paper, i see the tone of the paper as my middle tone, then you put the 2 extremes (white and black), and then you have a wide spectrum of values in between.
    good luck!

frank

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are so inspiring! Every time I look through your sketchbook I get inspired to draw and study harder.

Your hand and figure drawings are looking great. If I had a suggestion, it would be to work more on value studies. It might be helpful when drawing portraits to focus on only the shadows and pretend that there are no lines and edges. Practice seeing shadows as shapes that define features.

I don't think its bad that you scribble to get a feel for the shapes of things! Also, your line quality is not terrible at all! Now your just being self-critical. =). Anyway, love what your doing, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a great sense of construction; you really do seem to see things three dimensionally, even if it takes time to express it. Nice job on those Bridgman copies! =D

I totally hear you with the problem of over-thinking things. I'm always having to try things to get to work, even though I have the time & it's what I desperately want to do. "Just Draw" is a great philosophy.

You're working hard and it shows, keep it up!

"The artist is nothing without gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Émile Zola

sketchbook

SSG!
    JailHouseRock2
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect
    rikkiniehaus
    Sunseaker
    BiggJoee5790

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frank Gressie - Thanks Frank.. you see I know that the paper should be my middle value.. the trouble Im having is deciding where the midtones are on my actual subject. Its very easy to see the lightest and darkest values on an objects.. but the muddy midtones.. I have so much trouble seeing them.

IndigoSummers - Thanks for the kind words. And yes I need to study values harder.. and I will!

rikkiniehaus - Thanks man! Cant wait to get a SSG goin!

Ok so some updates.. not much. First some figures broken down into familiar shapes. Ref from CharacterDesigns.com and my friend Frank Gressie
    Then I did some Bridgman.. but I followed what Erik Gist recommends and what I see many people doing including one if my idols Bumskee. I copied Bridgman but I tried adding value to his drawings.. not just copying blindly. I think it helps! Then random doodles on copy paper and in my moleskin.. . most are from imagination.. except the feet and some of the heads. I realized lately that although I am studying well and sticking to it... Im not actually producing much art. I need to create illustrations, comics, characters, etc. After all this is the stuff I wanna do. Im always caught up in not being good enough.. so I just do studies. But I think Im hurting myself by not actually producing finished illustrations using what Ive learned and using reference to help. So Im promising myself to take part in the weekly challenges here as well as create personal art while keeping up all of my studies. I really want to do a comic.. so that will be in the near future. What I think I need to do is find what Im bad at.. and attack it with studies. Right now Im just studying everything randomly and I dont think its getting me anywhere. I need to for instance do a finished character.. then analyze it and get critiques here.. then go and study up on everything that needs work.. be it hands, feet, whatever. So thats the art battle plan Thanks guys.. peace outttt

MY SKETCHBOOK!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JParrilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey great update, those muscle studies are looking great, also like the rendering of them!! I think it's good to steer away slowly from using the tubes for the limbs and use more gestural lines to connect the limbs. Not that you use it all the time but it helps to draw through the form and connect everything so that it flows from one form onto the next, so doing studies of the body as a whole will help greatly, but the studies ur doing to understand each part is great also and will help greatly. Great job keep up the hard work biggjoee!!

~THE LIVE STREAM PARTY~
    Hala's || Grandmassa Mr. Spect || Walid D's || Dwardo's || JailHouseRocks2 || Snootchy's

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey biggjoee if you havent watched this give it a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqxMM...eature=channel

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snootchy - thanks for the advice man!

Zazerzs - thanks man.. I actually love sheldons videos but I never came across that one.. thanks so much. I like his videos because its so obvious that Vilppu taught him... and I just love his method of construction.

Update.. Wacom mouse in photoshop. I did some anatomy studies but I didnt scan em. PEACE

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin the still lifes man, and those pose studies are awesome, great work!

And keep think'n up SSG names, mine all suck

Cheers Joe,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I sense some exageration in some of your pieces, do you plan to go to a more cartoony approach?
    Good stuff and great studies man, this is the way to go!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Matt! And yep im thinking... its tough haha

Carbono - Honestly Its not intentional hahah. I really want to achieve realistic pieces. I think I tend to draw exagerrated because I dont have enough knowledge of reality. I really love realistic comic book art.. Like basically realistic with a slight twist. Cartoon is definetely not what Im going for.. can you tell me which ones in particular seem like that?

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok this is a terribly weak update but all Ive done since my last update is studies. I need to learn to draw the figure from life and imagination. I know I said I needed to do ChOWs and all that but my fucking brain insists that I suck too bad to do these contests.. I dont know why.. but I will do them I promise. I need to be more like JailHOuseRock and actually push my imagination and take part in doing illustrations. Well for now I did some Vilppu studies, A Luca Cambiaso study, Vanderpoel Studies and some doodles. Im only putting up a page or two of each because I have better things to do then scan pages all day I PROMISE finished illustrations and other stuff will be worked on starting today. I need to put these studies to practical use If I wanna get anywhere. PEACEEE..

O ya one more thing.. Ive been super inspired by Tim Bradstreets work lately. If you like comics like I do.. hes just awesome. Its a comic style with heavy realism.. just what I like. You can see his work on a bunch of Punisher covers.. check him out.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgot 2 things... quick value study of my lamp again... and a TERRIBLE girl from imagination. My brain couldnt understand the values on the body.. so I called it quits. Im gonna start doing these from reference in PS to see if I can retain some info about light on the body

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo biggjoee5790 are you on artroids?! the last few sketches are awesome mate! I really like the hatching and values on the iron man sketch, it's subtle and done really well for the metallic material, great stuff mang, keep at it!!!

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Swish poses and shading, real dynamic. Good to see you are practicing photoshop too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snootchy - hahaha nope but lemme know where I can get some

sunseaker - thanks! and yep Im trying to keep myself doing a variety of things.. although it never feels like im doing enough

cracked open a new hardcover canson sketchbook today.. and I feel really good about this one. My moleskin was my first real sketchbook and Its got a lot of trash in it. I think this one will show improvement. Started of with a figure in pencil from a photo.. then some quick faces from deviant stock photos.. Then I did some quick drawing in fineliner from Hel-looks.com Great site by the way for clothing and fashion. Then some Loomis surface anatomy.. needed to brush up on some landmarks on the figure. Ive really been doing a great job at staying loose and just drawing lately. I feel really good. I stopped putting pressure on myself to improve. Im beginning to stop looking at the end of the road and actually enjoy the journey.. I think its a lot better

I got amazing spiderman #600 today plus some Punishers, 1st edition of the new Captain america Reborn series and a new Thor with a Marko Djurdjevic cover.. Im gonna go read now PEACEEEE

Last edited by JParrilla; July 27th, 2009 at 09:10 PM.

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Love the pose work Joe, great flow in em'!

Nicccce still life as well, but maybe try colour next time.
    And the girl from imagination is pretty bloody good if you ask me, the shading/values look about right!

And thanks again for getting the SSG sorted, appreciate it man, great job!

Cheers bro,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WICKED LINES an VALUES GONZO STUDIES AN MADD STYLE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo biggjoee5790 great update dood, dig this last batch of sketches! only crit here is to utilize implied line sketching, where like in the portrait sketches, the top left portrait, where the right temple (our view) meets the hair line on the right, rather than utilizing a line to separate just use values, same with ink pen sketches, it's sometimes best not to connect all the lines and let the viewer's imagination fill the gaps.

Great to see you doing studies and sketches, keep rocking it dood!

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shading on imaginary girl is pretty flippin good, good to know your enjoying yourself more now! Hel-Looks pen sketchs are neat, will check out that site myself.

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty good improvement so far! just keep on doing studies and such and you'll get better.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JailHouseRock2 - Thanks alot Matt.. and no problem.. I hope this SSG helps all of us

Grandmassa Mr. Spect - haha thanks man!

snootchy - thanks man.. its funny you brought that up about the line. I just started a topic in art discussion about why im getting this unwanted cartoon look in my drawings.. and everyone said its because I use to much line. You nailed it before I even asked

Sunseaker - thanks man.. ya check it out.. some cool design ideas on there.

My57 - thanks! I hope so .. Im workin hardd finally and Im really enjoying it

Ok first I did a quick idea page of a character.. just personal ideas that I wanna get down. possibly for a comic or illustration in the near future. I did tons of thumbs and sillouhettes in PS but my fucking comp crashed before I could save them.. sucks. Then I did some quick poses concentration on forms.. then some eyes from photos and vanderpoel. Finally a quick PS painting of a pocket knife. I need to tone down my colors a bit I think.. I tend to get a fake look when I color things. I need to learn some color theory for sure. PEACEEE OUTT

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing so good man, really can see the improvement!

"I stopped putting pressure on myself to improve. Im beginning to stop looking at the end of the road and actually enjoy the journey.. I think its a lot better"

and thats a good attitude! pressure is no good, keep doing your studies and enjoy drawing! there is no haste, right? keep this up!!

frank

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies man! I like these perspective figures: they're very helpful to improve your understanding of shapes. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice poses and sweet tonal studies, though that paper looks a little rough? But that may be personal preference. Liking them either way, keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the ink drawings you did in post #107; you have a really nice illustrative feel going on there. Also like the kids; kids are tough & great that you gave those a try! Your object studies are really good too (love the Wacom). Great job on the Vanderpoels!

"The artist is nothing without gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Émile Zola

sketchbook

SSG!
    JailHouseRock2
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect
    rikkiniehaus
    Sunseaker
    BiggJoee5790

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh dig them eye studies, moaarrr plz!!

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I REALLY DIG THE EYE STUDiES AN THE STILL LIFE AN GREAT IDEA FOR A CHARACTER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Frank Gressie - Thanks Frank! Yep I feel really good lately

Bartovan - thanks! and I will

Sunseaker - thanks! and yes the papers very rough. I usually hate rough paper but its the only pad I could find of grey paper.. so I bought it

rikkiniehaus - thanks alot!

snootchy - OO there wil be more

Grandmassa Mr. Spect - thanks so much!

Ok I was on such a good roll until my job swamped me with hours. I havent gotten lazy guys ive just seriously just been so short on time. I wasnt even gonna post this crap but I needed to show something so noone thought I died. Moleskine nonsense.. thats all. Most of it was in short amounts of my spare time. Some Michelangelo and Frazetta in there.. mostly crap. I feel awful about these last few days but Im back and ready to kick some art ass I just hate when this happens and I cant do as much drawing as I wanna do.. but school starts again soon and I need to get as much money as possible so thats why Im working so much.. I have a bad ebay addiction with comic books.. so money drains quickly Updates coming soon... good ones

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1