The Road

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: The Road

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Road

The trailer for the movie that's going to be based on Cormac McCarthy's The Road is out. The film looks incredible, but I definitely think they cut the trailer wrong.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkthrone For This Useful Post:

Moai, P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed, Cliche'd trailer but possibly a very good film.

My sketchbook, if you really want to see it...

"Picasso is a painter, so am I;... Picasso is Spanish, so am I; Picasso is a communist, neither am I." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 737 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The book is stunning, beautifully written and told. But it looks like the movie might be filling in gaps that should be left to our imagination. You never know how the world ends in the book, but it seems to be post nuclear. It is a small scale story as part of a big event. I just hope the pyrotechnics don't swamp the beautiful story of the relationship between a father and son.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    The book is stunning, beautifully written and told. But it looks like the movie might be filling in gaps that should be left to our imagination. You never know how the world ends in the book, but it seems to be post nuclear. It is a small scale story as part of a big event. I just hope the pyrotechnics don't swamp the beautiful story of the relationship between a father and son.
    I don't think the pyrotechnics are going to be too central. I'm thinking maybe they'll have one or two explosions at the beginning to give newcomers some context and leave the rest almost exactly like the novel.

John Hillcoat did a kick-ass job on The Proposition, so I have lots of hope for this movie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny how much they've misrepresented the movie to asses in seats. I wonder if this will play out well or backfire as people go in looking for a non-stop action movie and end up confused or dissapointed.

Last edited by In Amber Clad; May 18th, 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    red the book two times already, its one of the best things ive ever red, I think the movie could ruin my experience of it though, maybe im wrong, but the trailer is not very promising... :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely need to read that. I made the mistake of watching No Country for Old Men before reading it...unfortunately the movie adaptation is ridiculously accurate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Road, in my opinion, is a much better book than No Country For Old Men, which to me felt oddly more like a novelization of the movie rather than the original on which the movie is based. An absolutely beautiful, breathtakingly lonely and quiet book.
    I agree with NinjaCat's and Poshspices' on the trailer. The much fast paced banging loudness, and possibly too much information on the exact nature of the apocalypse that takes place. I hope that they didn't get the movie that wrong, and that this is just a somewhat misrepresentative trailer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I loved The Road. It started a whole Cormack McCarthy roll for me followed by Blood Meridian and No Country for Old Men.

I can't help but wonder if the film adaptation of The Road will retain all of its brutality. Without spoiling anything, the book had some incredibly grisly images that I can't ever imagine being filmed. The world in which the story takes place is completely void of any concept of good or evil and depicts the other survivors as predators in every sense of the word.

You guys also ought to read Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West. It's another epic that takes place in a brutal world populated with nihilistic characters.

Last edited by N D Hill; May 19th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys also ought to read Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West. It's another epic that takes place in a brutal world amongst nihilistic characters.
    I've been wondering what book I should read next. Thanks for reminding me that I need to read this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    I've been wondering what book I should read next. Thanks for reminding me that I need to read this.
    It's a good one. To be fair, I've recommended it to friends before who did not like McCarthy's writing style and ended up not getting too far with it. However if you've grown into it with the road, which reads a bit more comfortably, you ought to like it just fine.

Still though. What does this guy have against punctuation?

Last edited by N D Hill; September 24th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by N D Hill View Post
    Still though. What does this guy have against punctuation?
    Ha ha! Yes, initially it bothered me as well, but I kind of got used to it. Writers will have their little affectations and idiosyncracies. He doesn't seem to like apostrophes if I remember correctly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read this book on a road trip while my companion was driving, so I read it out loud for her to follow along. Normally I'm a fair reader, but I have to admit I stumbled along quite a bit with Cormac's style of writing. Still a very fine book. I hope the movie is good and does it justice. The trailer didn't!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

SketchbookWebsiteBlog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i dont trust trailers. The premise's promising though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't to fond of the fact that it may be global warming as what caused the world to end as opposed to some nuclear issue and I'm not to fond of the fact that the world doesn't quite look dark enough . . . I was almost imagining like a "Silent Hill-like" fogginess to the world which it doesn't look like they accomplished. It looks too casual, I mean really, ooh . . . a world with out sun light . . . thats called Seattle or possibly the UK!

The same goes with the survivors that they run into on the truck, they looked way to casual. Its been a while since I read the book but I was imagining chem suits or again the Silent Hill Movie Survivors in the mining get ups.

and already I'm not liking the kid . . . it looks like they made him into a simpleton the actor they chose is to old compared to what McCarthy had written.

Again, I may be judging to soon . . . it's only a trailer.

"It's better to have Heart than technique, you can be taught technique." (Frank Trigg -- MMA Fighter on the subject of fundamentals)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The novel was great. That trailer does not make me want to go see it. I think I read that they're selling it as the action-packed end of the world tale, to lure in the masses, but that the movie itself still follows the book. I dunno. It almost has a repulsive quality to it. I just don't want to see it now.

Although, the single images are quite nice.

My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some clips on YouTube. Looks pretty spot on to be honest! These obviously contain spoilers, and are quite harrowing.

Official Trailer

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poshspice View Post
    Some clips on YouTube. Looks pretty spot on to be honest! These obviously contain spoilers, and are quite harrowing.
    Wow. I'm having a hard time not getting excited for this film. It's been a year since I've read the book but these do look very accurate. I love the sets and overall drabness of everything. What I've heard of the music so far seems fitting as well. I'm especially pleased that they cast Robert Duvall as the old man. I know it's a brief role but great non the less that they got him for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.