Thanks

One would think that police sketches have to be good

Now, I'm not the best on drawing people, in fact I tend to avoid it, mostly because there's just a lot I need to work on, but, I don't think this police sketch is good, but maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be surprised if I am).
    "Time heals everything, except the waste of Time itself..."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    As this is a murder case I don't want to make fun, but that is an odd picture. They should try it again with another artist.

Thanks
    No, it's really bad lol but I don't think a lot of artist invision a career in the police :p not to mention, drawing from a vague description isn't very easy. I think having a really well drawn portrait with a couple of features off might also throw off the search while this one keeps the search broad, people have to look at the distinctive features instead of the quality of the art.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to freiheit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    As this is a murder case I don't want to make fun, but that is an odd picture. They should try it again with another artist.
    Yeah, that's what kinda put me off too. But I think, especially for a murder case, a better attempt to identify the perp is necessary.

Thanks
    they should outsource.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Considering the description was like this Police said a suspect wearing a wig and mustache approached the young mother in the parking lot of a busy shopping center in Snellville. The pair argued momentarily and then the suspect shot Strube once in the head.

Nothing really wrong with it, my experience in seeing police sketches is they're more or less around that kind of drawing. They're not done to make a fancy portrait but make features a person will identify with.

Also looks like this was a small town Snelville GA?

Court sketches have a bit more... "flair" but considering the reference is right in front of them...well...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    At least he bothered to complete it - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-parting.html

And it was of a human... http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story...155355&catid=3

And before anyone else posts it...

Last edited by Baron Impossible; May 16th, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The sketch artists job is just to put together whatever features the witness can describe, not to make a great portrait. Witnesses have a hard time recalling features and can be vague with their descriptions. Therefore the artists has to be vague in his/her sketch as to not draw in features that were not described by the witness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    Now, I'm not the best on drawing people, in fact I tend to avoid it, mostly because there's just a lot I need to work on, but, I don't think this police sketch is good, but maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be surprised if I am).
    All jokes aside, i really think i may know who the guy in the sketch is:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Sometimes, I feel they would be better off with a potatoe man doll then a lousy artist for such an important job.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So where do we send our portfolio's to?

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD M View Post
    Sometimes, I feel they would be better off with a potatoe man doll then a lousy artist for such an important job.
    I don't think you understand the job then.

Thanks
    Just wait, they are going to arrest a guy that looks EXACTLY like that hahaha

Thanks
    well the guy should be easy enough to find, apparently he has a cone head
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    And before anyone else posts it...

Hah-Lar- Ree-Uss!!!

Thanks
    @ Baron Impossible ROFL ... like freiheit said I think it's better to have a broader depiction of the perp to go by. Witness id isnt 100% reliable afterall, especially when it's from memory.
    the sole intention is learning to fly

Thanks
    I didn't realise they still actually used sketches for that kind of thing. They always seem to show computer-generated ones on the news here. Not that the quality of those is any better, they end up looking like a sort of eerie collage.

Thanks
    There is something to remember when looking at police sketches.
    First of all the person drawing doesn't have any reference except the description given.
    Second the people giving the description ain't trained at looking at facial features at an artistic way, so they can only roughly describe it.
    Third, in a stressful situation people won't even look well at the subject at all.

Now if you have to draw someone while having only vague references, your picture will be off. And that's not a real problem, you just try to draw as closely to the features people do remember well.

The pictures are ment for people who know the person well.
    They might see the general face somewhat match and it's enforced by the eye or the nose being very close to it.
    I made a drawing of my cat Nelson a couple of months ago. People will say it's kinda off.
    But the people who know my cat immediately know it's Nelson.
    And that's not only because I drew him, it's because of the general picture.

Thanks
    I don't know what police artists are paid, but I doubt it's a lot of money, that could be part of it. If they wanted really high quality drawings I'm sure they could find someone to do them easily enough, they probably just don't think they're worth paying a lot for.

Thanks
    Well, there is more to their job than just drawing faces. I would imagine most of the work they get paid for is just getting information from a witness which can be very difficult. I can draw a good face but that doesn't mean I can be a police sketch artist.

I think i saw on tv once a police artist saying the drawings are not meant to be good. Very vague and simple. A quick glance and you should be able to remember distinguishing features his spikey hair and mustache. anything more finished people would be thinking of a identical match.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitze View Post
    I think i saw on tv once a police artist saying the drawings are not meant to be good. Very vague and simple. A quick glance and you should be able to remember distinguishing features his spikey hair and mustache. anything more finished people would be thinking of a identical match.
    That's just an excuse to try an make such crappy renderings acceptable. If there were any true standards applied to rendering talent, there would be NO ONE to do the job. Crappy as they are, it's better than a stick man with a wig and moustache, but if the lame-o excuse about "generic description" held any water, that's all these "Perp sketches" should need to be...

Most people going into law enforcement are not closet artists, just like most artists aren't closet officers...I'm sure ANY dept. would simply LOVE to have an actually talented police sketch artist, but it just doesn't work that way...

Also, in the "stop trying to excuse the crappy art as intentional dept.", let's not forget that the more modern police departments in this country are going to face recognition rendering software that gives them actual faces as generic features and skin colors that ARE assembled "Mr. Potato Head" style...

Just because something falls under the category of "Art," doesn't mean it falls under the category of "GOOD Art." Don't accept excuses and justifications for bad art. If it's bad, it's BAD. Pretending it isn't, and making truly thin excuses for it just perpetrates the lie.

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Umm well you do know you need a degree to be a police sketch artist depending where you're at?

Maybe before everyone just argues about the quality of the artwork actually look up the career to find out?

I think they're more worried about meeting the other requirements before being an "uber kewl artist"

http://education-portal.com/articles...ch_Artist.html

http://ask.yahoo.com/20021016.html

http://drawsketch.about.com/od/devel...nsicartist.htm

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,794 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I don't think you understand the job then.
    I have seen some really really bad police sketches. I remember one which was shown at Jay Leno, where the sketch of a murderer looked like an unsymetric lemon with eyes. It looked like a child had made it. THIS kind of example is what I meant with that they would had been better off with a potatoe man doll then a lousy artist for such an important job - a police sketch of a MURDERER should NOT look like something made by a first grader!
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Ok, from what I understand, a police sketch is not about detail, but about the main features of the perp's looks: Tattoos, haircut, any scars, etc.

So, in a way, as long as you get any main characteristics, the sketch goes, right?.

Thanks
    These are'nt artists making these.
    From what my police officer friend told me is that the precinct will just pay for drawing workshop tuitions for whatever employees feel so inclined to take them. It's a tool that law enforcement uses to just help people visualize things a bit. They're not going to have someone sit down for hours on end to get a photorealistic image. it's not like inhouse artists at the station sitting around drawing all day. These are just officers who have some very crude training just to make things a tad easier.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    From what my police officer friend told me is that the precinct will just pay for drawing workshop tuitions for whatever employees feel so inclined to take them. It's a tool that law enforcement uses to just help people visualize things a bit. They're not going to have someone sit down for hours on end to get a photorealistic image. it's not like inhouse artists at the station sitting around drawing all day. These are just officers who have some very crude training just to make things a tad easier.
    Ah, that explains much.

Thanks
    Exactly, but it does vary. Most of the people doing these aren't artists because you have to remember when you're doing the sketch it's not someone happy and telling you a story of a character idea for a movie.

A lot of people are traumatized by what happened to them, so you have to have have good people skills too. I mean it's a bit hard to try to draw a "portrait" when you have a rape victim breaking down in tears.

That's why I find the whole artistic merit of the whole issue ridiculous. You think the victim giving the description is concerned with a concept art style masterpiece, or getting the details out to the sketch artist so they can catch the person?

Thanks
    That's not true at least part of the time; my old art professor created sketches for the police occasionally.

Thanks
    I'm sure that's true. There are exceptions to anything. but if it was more standard practice, I'm sure a bunch of people on this site alone would be picking up soem extra cash doing that.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *