valkyrie

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: valkyrie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

valkyrie

Hello Everyone,

its my 1st painter painting, I was working on this one from a few days now in my free time thought i wold get some feedback on it from a few pros so any feedback/critique that can improve this in any way would he appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is very "red". Some images can make use of the range of a single hue but I don't think this is one of them.

I like the detail of the sword and the effects where it is thrust into the ground.

There is about 1/3 of negative space above the main character where the sky halos the kneeling man, but it is almost too symetrical.

And it is terribly hard to distinguish the background, middle ground and foreground. I find your light source obscure because of the lack of highlights and shading.

Also, a Valkyrie is most always a female warrior who carries a fallen Norse warrior, who has died with honor, to Valhalla.

Overall, the painting is really nice. Keep going, it has lots of promise.

"Creativity emerges only when the imagination is given the freedom it deserves."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I agree with razor on his points, This image is to red, if it's norse you're going for, lots of blues would be good.
    The anatomy of the heads is bugging me especially the near left ones. Also I'd like to see more detail in the pikes as they currently look floaty.

As red also mentioned a valkyrie is a female "angel" that would carry the honored dead norse warriors who died in battle to valhalla. The title doesn't really fit here imho

Finally I'd love to see more detail in the foreground where the dead bodies are.

As for likes, I love the effects on the sword, I like the idea of the severed heads but they need to be completed and I like the castle.

Cheers,

Z

-------- I am Available For T Shirt, Logo and Tattoo Design --------
    ---------- http://www.zedkhov.deviantart.com ----------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what was said above. I do think adding a few more different hues/colours in would help this. Also the mid-section of the warrior could possibly do with a bit more definition around the fur he's wearing around his waist. Also there seems to be something a little off about his foot; I think we ought to be able to see his heel sticking out behind the sword. Also the armour on the shin blends in too much with his cloak.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Underneath all that intense colour are values. They are always there, no matter how colourful a painting, and you must pay just as much attention to them as you do your colours and your lines. I took the image into Painter, made it black and white and ran the colour picker all over it. As far as I can tell, your lightest value is 51% (except for some very tiny spots in the lava). Some lighter values would really help balance this image and make it more readable by defining focus points, as would some cool colours. Use them to draw attention to your character, because right now, everything's screaming for attention except the army in the background and the dead soldiers in the foreground, which seem to me to be important aspects of the illustration (correct?).
    Concerning the dead soldiers, they are the exact same size (or appear to be) as the character, but are closer to us. Also, they look like they're slipping off the edge of something. If they are, I think it would be a good idea to extend the canvas down and show us what they're falling into. It should be noted that they look too stiff for fresh corpses, and too tense for any kind of corpses.
    His foot does not look like it is resting on the hill and it would be very uncomfortable at that distance from the lava, but I'll let you have that last one on artistic license .
    Your towers lean outwards from the centre of the structure slightly. Because of persepctive, they should be doing the opposite (it's far away, so it needn't be by much at all).

Finally, almost EVERYTHING is really saturated. Bring the saturation down for most of the painting, especially in the background (you've got no atmospheric perspective; both in values and saturation, you should have high contrast in the foreground and low contrast in the background). Those light values and areas of saturation will add definite focus to your painting, something it very much lacks.

What the others have said also applies.

Hope this helped.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you are doing, I like it.
    It has a very classic feel to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aren't valkyries women? I think they are warrior beer wenches.

Not bad for your first painter painting. I found it to be irrational, but I can see you got the hang of it. good composition and lighting, just Keep up with your figure drawing and you should be in good shape.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; May 14th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to break up your repetition more. Everything is too strict, you need some balance in your composition. You want to lead the viewer around your painting, it can hurt if you make them home in on one spot. Your lighting and textures are superb. Break it up by changing it so that everything doesn't lead to the center. Check your work against the golden ratio, I'll wager if you did that, the reds wouldn't bother so much. You are basically commanding the eye to go directly to the center. Sometimes you want to pass go and collect the $200 if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Razorleaf,zedkhov,gestalt1,Craz,Runya Jade,Raoul Duke,brianhamner guys thank you so much for your input i really appreciate that you guys took the time to post on my WIP and got me some really good feedback here is an update i have tried to fix some issues but its still open for any feedback

Thanks,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Composition

I agree with all the other posts especially brianhamner about the composition. At first glance it almost appeared as thought the roof peek of the castle was setting on her shoulders. The subject or castle positioning needs some experimentation.

Ask Maurice.Org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If there were a little more light in the background, that could create the depth that's lacking so far. Also, all the heads on spears seem like the same man over and over again. But, a great painting, and far and away better than I could do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece seems more Conan than Valkyrie to me.

Love the detailing on the sword and the transition to the lava-blood. I too think it would help if he were offset from the castle just a little. As it is, the intensity of his cape matches the intensity of the castle walls and that's just a little too damaging to the overall composition. (I'd move the walls back in darkness, giving them a little atmospheric fading.)

Also consider the lighting on the lowered right (his, not ours) leg. It is lit almost the full length of the thigh, despite being (to my mind's eye) overshadowed by his body, his cape, and the left leg. Whereas the left leg only is really lit right at the knee. Even the greaves are picking up only a little bit of light from the sword or other sources, and are fairly deeply shadowed, so I would consider shadowing the right leg a bit more.

she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PixelFish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

ask maurice,TASmith,PixelFish guys thanks a lot for your feedback here is an update please let me know if i can still improve this image in anyway.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad to see you are still working on this. Its got a great appeal if you fix the composition. I know thats a big order, but I like your lighting and rendering. I like your earlier tower better. I just thought I could clarify a bit what I meant about the composition. If you look at the painting there appears to be two triangles, one pointing up and one pointing down. (the clouds form one and the buildings another). These overlap somewhere in the middle, which is where your problem lies. If you draw a line through each edge of the paintings and then look at only the lines you can see that this is not pleasant for the eye to follow. You need to pull these triangles apart, and make them have a center.

My suggestions are:
    1) the hair on the heads should not flow onto the spears. Break it up and have some wisps coming out sideways and whatnot, ad some artistic "hair caught in the breeze" actions in there.
    2) your original tower was better. And the tower should not be crooked that is throwing off your whole composition. Keep it the way it was but the line of buildings should not form such a sharp triangle. Lower them a bit and make them more straight across, with only a small angle toward the top. Break this up too, where it is balanced on both sides, but NOT SYMMETRICAL.
    3) the ground should loose some of its point as well. He is on a big hump, try flattening it out a bit.
    4) the clouds could back off of their steep downward slope just a little bit.

Last edited by brianhamner; May 18th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I think I figured it out. Because your main character is at an angle where he is viewed from above, the composition should flow so he fits in with it. I tried putting the tower in, but it just didnt fit right. Heres a rough so you can see another composition, (thanks clone stamp tool) and maybe you can go from here. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, liked this picture so I wanted to fiddle around with it, here's what I came up with. Hope it at least serves as a kind of inspiration or something

"..now, to unleash screaming temporal doom.."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice work here. The pieces strong suit is its attention to detail. Nice job in that area.

As for composition and color I would definitely consider some of the comments already made here.

One thing I wanted to add which I hadn't read.. The spikes that the heads are on, I can't tell where its coming out of their head on the top.

Anyways, hope you like painter! Its my fav.

Website

CA Finished Work

CA Sketch Book

"I have transcended that phase in my intellectual growth where I discover humour in simple freakishness. What exists is real; therefore it is tragic, since whatever lives must die. Only fantasy, the vapors rising from sheer nonsense, can now excite my laughter." - Lord Pirmence of Castle Lutez

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.