Character concept - Crusades
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character concept - Crusades

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character concept - Crusades

Hey guys here is a character I have been working on. Trying my best to push value and give him dimension and get that anatomy right. Would love any crits to improve my work. Cheers Jac

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, your character's proportions are somewhat off. The right arm's rather short (Fully extended, it would be much shorter than the other arm), the upper torso is taking up too much of the body space (move the waist up) and the eyes are very far-up on the face. If you want to check, flip the picture horizontally to jog your brain. This trick has helped people on this site tons.

Your lightsource is a bit ambiguous. On the helmet, there's a specular on the topright, but on his face, the light seems to be coming from the left. Which side is the light coming from? You could also push your whites a bit more in the direction of the light.

The character isn't bad, though. There are a few haphazard shapes, but the design works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I did a quick paint over, hope you don't mind. Proportionally, you need to elongate the legs, and while the arm propping the shield appears to be very short, it just needs a bit of tweaking to get the foreshortening right. Be careful about watching the planes of your surfaces, the head piece and breastplate have details that aren't properly following the contours of the planes. The face is a bit off because of the eye space and cheekbones, I softened up the form and shifted it a bit, try not to get to detailed to quickly. One question, what is the working dimensions of your piece? Hope this helps.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by {CKL}; May 18th, 2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typos.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tangleworm: Cheers mate for having a look over it . I agree with proportional issues and I think consistency of lighting is a problem that I need to address. Flipping i always forget to do that. will work on these issues and repost

CKLamb: Paint over is a great help thanks very much. You really helped the face by using darks and you have drawn attention to his face. I will address the proportions tomorrow and post up a rework. My dimensions are 2592 pixels by 4531 pixels.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.