Learn How To Draw And Paint Like The Old Masters

Instructor: Andrew Ameral

This three week intensive workshop will give students an opportunity to expand their knowledge and experience in rendering the human figure in paint. Sound academic techniques I learned and taught at the Florence Academy of Art will be introduced.

Two separate classes will be offered during the day: one, from 10:00am - 1:00pm and another from 2:00pm - 5:00pm. Students must choose either. Each class will have a maximum enrollment of 10. Each class will have their own model. Students will work from a single pose taken throughout the entire duration of the course to obtain a fully finished and accurate representation within the range of their experience and ability. Classes will be held everyday, Monday through Friday. Each class is three hours long.

Students will begin their first week developing a drawing in charcoal. The sight size method of measurement will be taught and used. Accuracy, correct proportions, and gesture will be stressed.

Students will spend their final two weeks painting in oil working alla prima. Accurate value and color mixtures will be studied and the students sensitivity to proper color harmony and unity of light will be developed.

A number of lectures and presentations will be given throughout on different topics such as the use of the limited palette, basic artistic anatomy, and traditional artists tools and mediums.

This workshop is excellent for painters looking to hone their craft and open to all advanced and beginning students who want to improve.

For more information, please go to my website:

Or email me at:

andrew@ameralart.com

Workshop fee: $ 900.00. Materials not included.

Dates: July 27th - August 14th.
Class schedule: Monday - Friday, 10:00am-1:00pm or 2:00-5:00pm.
Space is limited. Maximum enrolment per class: 10.
Approximate cost to student for materials: $ 150.00.