P.O.W.! Challenge 24...The Doll - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 24...The Doll

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, so you know your own biggest problem...

I guess it's time to work on that script thing, ain't it?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaahahahhahaaha!!!!!! and stuff!!!! if you gave me less time I'd work harder i guess. but no you give me three weeks......fuck it i'll submit my finall withen two days.......because that's just the kind of jackass i am!!!!(sniffle) and then even arttorney would luagh at me!!!! and by the way i just boughtt a download from CA it fucked off all my brushes and some of my work settings....so be carefull boy's and girls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post

As for me, I've been drinking, I'm on the internet, and I'm not afraid to burn your eyes out with my entry tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's how the first page is rendered currently. Does it fit with the theme?

(For bonus points: Name the M-rated Wii game published by SEGA involving a guy with a chainsaw on his arm that inspired this direction)

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    erm... hi people... I'm a lurker at POW topics since I joined. and now I have an idea. maybe a little sentimental and not exciting, but my own, my precious - and it's short and simple. maybe even me am able to do it somehow...
    I can't even draw a head properly without some luck and it will be my very first something of this kind...

I wrote this to give a slight chance for my idea to come true... I have plans and I rarely realize them soon enough. but I wanna do this... 2 simple pages... maybe a cover too...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... I did a sketch of my doll while I was in Chicago, but I'm not going to take it much further. I'm gonna head back to some figure drawing and studies until I feel ready to do work once more.

Wish I could have done the full paneling.... (=[)

-Deuce

Last edited by DeuceRok; May 20th, 2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeuceRok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangleworm View Post
    Here's how the first page is rendered currently. Does it fit with the theme?

(For bonus points: Name the M-rated Wii game published by SEGA involving a guy with a chainsaw on his arm that inspired this direction)
    Mad World.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BubbaGump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waugh, I'm gonna really have to work on this one to get it in on time.

Just leave it to my science teacher to assign me 30 pages of homework in one day...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    god f--in dammmit!!!!!honestly what do i have to do to piss you people off!! by the way i checked on the 23 poll...so far i lose by 1 vote...i swear i'll cry when i loose! not really....ok maybe ....just a little bit...

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; May 22nd, 2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: i'm fat what's your problem!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok J.S. You're starting with 5 panels on the top of the 1st page. Simplify that. 2 or 3 shots... 5 is way too many! Also, make sure that you clearly introduce your characters.

Also, look at the critique of "Rude" in the resources section. You'll see that you ought to place boxes and such for your words. Otherwise then they end up covering the art. I recommend adding another layer in PS to do this.

The rest of the pages have generally the same comments. Simplify the multi-panels, unless it's a fight scene. I also recommend enlarging a few of these smaller panels so that the action is clear.

-Deuce

Deuce.Rok

The Gallery
    My Gallery on CA

The SketchBook
    My Sketchbook on CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

umm....

it's seven panels on the first page.....and more and more. thank yuo giodi thinkj ileft my body somewhere!!!!!but wher?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this looks intriguing, I haven't participated in week challenges before. But this one strikes a chord for me. How do you submit the pages?

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You submit by posting the images in this thread. Just use the image attachment, but make sure your image is reduced to no more than 10" high or it won't accept it. This ends tonight (actually sometime tomorrow if I keep my usual screwed up schedule) so you might be a bit late to start this one. Please note, though, that I am just STARTING mine right now--8 pages--and have no idea if I'll make it or not...so go for it if you want. Only need two pages finished to qualify for the poll.

Read the stickied stuff through real quick for a fast how-to on the rules and sizes and stuff.

New Challenge will be up tonight, running three weeks.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ilaekae, thanks for the info. I got my thumbnails drawn out, we will see. Cheers!

Sketchbook

- get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally done mine. I'm not too happy with how the story worked out (It looks sorta rushed...) and my rendering probably looked hasty too, but oh well. That was fun.

EDIT:
    After a critical discussion with a friend o' mine, it became apparent that the story wasn't apparent enough. I guess I tried to fit something much too complicated for the alotted pages, argh.
    She suggested I put the story here, just in case:
    In short, there's a guy. He's derailed his life with alcohol and gangs. One day, he's drinking and pondering in his room (seem in the last page), but somebody breaks in and knocks him out, giving him a few stab wounds along the way. He then wakes up in this weird white space, trapped in place by a voodoo doll nailed to a wooden cube, and accompanied by a blindfolded man. I wanted to have a long section with him subjecting the protagonist to various symbolic unpleasantness, but that would've taken too many pages. In the end, the protagonist sees that playing tough gets him nowhere, so he trades this for actual toughness, rips out of the prison, and delivers a bird-related punching meme to the antagonist. He then wakes up and has an epiphany.

It is evident I didn't convey this well enough...any critique on how to do that better?

Last edited by Tangleworm; June 1st, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tangleworm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't get my scanner like I'd hoped so I'm sadly not going to poll. I'll still post when it's done though. Sorry guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright here's what I got done. I only got wind of this last Friday so with about 8 days to work on this and plans previously made for the week I didn't really have time to build on it much So out of a 6 page run I was hoping to get to, I only have two to show. And they're not even finished (notice the clothes missing on the amazones, on the hero on the throne, the dismembered arm flung in frame 1 page 3 and, well.. You get the idea).

But, I liked the exercise and I thought I'ld post it here anyways, maybe get some comments/crits. I think I might actually get around to finishing up a few pages on this one in my spare time, we'll see.

A little background : this Hildùlfr, the D&D type hero here was the character I came up with for Dominance War IV... That went awry for me somewhat, tangled up and all. Regardless, this "story" is me takin' a pot-shot at myself : gettin' all excited about this warrior character and then in the end (page 06 included here) you realise that all these tall tales of various battles and what not are just some kid playin' around with his G.I.Joe-ish doll and gettin' lost in his own imagination.

Err, what else. Ahh well the heart floating around there is his magic weapon/artefact, he uses the blood as arrows and all that. Anyway, long story, you can check it out at the Dominance War Entries section if you're that interested.

I'll upload the (very preliminary) WIPs of pages 4 and 5 at least to give a little more of an idea of what I had in mind. But for now, this is what I got since this seems to be the deadline of midnight in oh just about 10 minutes hehe

Ahhh yes the copyright info. Dunno if you require this in the POW but as it was asked in the CHOWs here it is :
    Copywright owned by : Nicolas Lizotte
    2009/05/31 (I think that's all ?)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice! You've definitely done a great job on the rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You guys are great. Glad I didn't go through with the embarrasingly bad thing I was going to do. Wonder what happened to J.S., alecat, and shiNiN?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, hope you like this. No text with the exception of the last panel , leaning towards a storyboard - style.

Last edited by strings; June 3rd, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
    Sketchbook

- get back to work!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strings For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand here's my contribution! I don't think the image quality is great though; I'm still trying to figure out my less-than-stellar scanner as well as importing inked art into computer programs. Took me about as long to figure that out as it did to draw the whole thing...

..:|sketches|:..

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Candy Rain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the doll

Computer's running a little slow tonight. But, finally finished this one.

Swim, fly, draw.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waterbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job, everyone. The poll will be up later this afternoon. Thank you...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wasted an afternoon with Techsupport at HP, AGAIN...

Soooo I haven't gotten around to paste-up all that WIP stuff for page 3&4 so hot. I'm still gona take this break to post the WIPs that lead up to where I was for page 3 and 6 (out of 6). This doesn't seem to be required in POW, but it's something I always like to see in the CHOW so, I'll go for it anyway

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

AUG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's official... My harddrive crashed, AGAIN... Fuckin' useless HP twat bastard CUNTS... Apparantly I have to send the whole tower back this time... That's twice now, plus the faulty monitor... Pissed-off just doesn't quite seem to express the emotion...

I'ld updated the two pages I posted here and put in enough hours on pages 4&5 to make them look decent-ish, not to mention all the other stuff I'ld been workin' on recently...

Anyway, the point being that it all seems pretty much flushed down the bog now... Unless I somehow manage to recuperate the files (come on, like that's gona happen), this is pretty much the end of the line "for the Doll" as far as I'm concerned. To much of a downer to get back too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1