Proportions and whatnot help!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Proportions and whatnot help!

Hi everyone! I need some critique on this before I move on. Rip it to shreds! It's a future commission, and I didn't use ref, which was dumb of me.
    I really can't get the shoes either. Not sure what to do composition-wise.

They're vampires. I wanted them to have "pompous" poses, but not too stiff.
    I'm not sure...eep....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't use a consistent line. Let it waver to illustrate depth with the line. check out my art.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chauncey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The proportions actually aren't so bad considering the lack of reference. Best be with the shoes is to look at shoes of course .

Not sure how to help you with composition without an idea of where they are, what they're doing, what their story is, etc... you need to think all of that stuff out. I do think you could get a lot more expression out of them by doing something with their hands... so if you're deliberately hiding them, you're shooting yourself in the foot! Think about it a bit, figure out who they are and where they are.

-Sid

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All in all it's a good start, but it's got a ways to go. I've attached a redline, hear are some explanatory notes.

Composition: I'd suggest putting them back-to-back and centering them.

Proportion: Their trunks are too massive for their heads, and their necks are short. For an elegant vamp look, it's all about elongation, extra length in the neck and legs. There's something off about the placement of the short haired character's features, flip it and you'll see.

Pose: The long-haired figure is the more successful, the other is stiff, think chest out/hips back. Their arms need work, they both look like they're grabbing their crotches.

Detail: Just because you started without ref, there's no reason not to look at some now. Check out Victorian/Edwardian fashions, you're way off in several areas (collars are too big and low, pocket placement and lapels are wrong, etc.). Also, there's an "anatomy" to the basic construction of clothing that's useful to learn.

Name:  mairuku-PO.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  107.6 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.