3D Designer Block!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3D Designer Block!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D Designer Block!

Hi everyone,

This is probably going to just turn into a plea for help but I'm starting to feel a bit desperate about the matter. I study three dimensional design at Uni and I've got a final project to do for this year. The problem is I only have two weeks to complete it and greater still, I haven't a clue what to do for the project. I thought I'd post here on CA and see if anyone can get my grey matter working.

The project is self directed so I create the brief myself, unfortunately I'm struggling to do this. My course is pretty much Product Design but I'm trying to put a more emphasised twist on my concept drawing to hopefully end with a decent, concept art driven portfolio. So in essence the project should see me following a product design process.

The fun twist I have put on it is that I'd like to draw inspiration from something with a strong narrative, so either a film, book, play, game etc. I think ideally the function of the object should be very much inspired by the film/book/game/whatever, but shouldn't simply be an object taken directly from it, if that makes sense. Also I need it to be fairly conservative, so probably not a star ship, vehicle or gun, more like an object that might be considered "house held" in its own environment but strange in the real world. This is because the majority of students on my course will be doing designs for furniture or everyday products and I'm a little reticent to jump a fantastic-futuristic-crazy-device concept on their laps and scare them into failing me.

So effectively what I'm asking for are ideas of specific objects which would fit nicely into a specific film/book/game/play/"world" which is strange enough to keep me interested but would be considered normal in the world it was inspired for. Also ideally it should be something tangible that I can do lots of funky concept drawings of.

Any ideas of objects or even suggestions to change my direction would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    The problem is I only have two weeks to complete it and greater still, I haven't a clue what to do for the project.
    Relax, take a deep breath. You're psyching yourself out.

I would just choose your favorite movie/video game/book and study it. Find some odd looking piece of equipment that doesn't get much attention and run with it. I know you want a really want a unique, ground-breaking idea that will blow your professor away but you also have to get this done on time. You have to find the balance between thinking and doing and not picking a super-complex idea that will take too long to complete or be too much of a chore. Keep it simple, stick to the necessities.

So effectively what I'm asking for are ideas of specific objects which would fit nicely into a specific film/book/game/play/"world" which is strange enough to keep me interested but would be considered normal in the world it was inspired for. Also ideally it should be something tangible that I can do lots of funky concept drawings of.
    This is just flat out asking "do it for me?" Have faith in your own creativity and decision making. The reason why these assignments are self-directed is to teach you that. Trust yourself, you don't have to do any idea you don't like, you are in control. If you get to work and don't like something, then change it if you have the time. Just sit down with a sketchbook and the inspiration of your choosing and start drawing. No matter what it is, just let your head pour out onto the paper.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You might find something interesting here:

Industrial Design of the Week: TOPIC SUGGESTIONS

--

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,

BuckWeisel, yes I think you are right, I do really need to figure this out myself. Afterall I should be doing it because I want to do it. I think it's probably just that I've had a string of ideas which my tutors have umm-ed and ahh-ed about as they have gradually warmed to the idea of what I want to do and today I was told I need more deffinate boundaries to my brief than the one I had previously thought of, and so in essence telling me to try another one, so I'm feeling a little disheartened.

I've got some ideas of films and books floating around my head so I think I need to do some brainstorming and decide on something instead of getting wound up by what feels like a complete void of creativity at the moment.

Farvus
    , heh yea I actually looked through the actual IOWs for a while thinking about how cool it would be to do them for uni projects which is actually what dragged me away from the furniture design I was doing (and not enjoying) for my course originally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A whole new range of retractable batman gear. I have a cool retractable belt clip that my access card attaches to. I broke it because I started doing all kinds of ninja moves with it, trying to flick a door open.

I think the retractable accessory idea have potential in the world of gear.

----------------------------------
    Scetchbook: View the exhibitionist's stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A Clockwork Orange. Not sure what it'd do, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback guys!. I decided to go for "Diving equipment for Waterworld". Loved the film and felt it had a scrappy enough aesthetic for me to have some fun.

Maybe I'll post some of the results if they're any good, heh.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.