Thanks

What program for 2.5D animations could you recommend?

First, I must show what kind 2.5D I would like to learn. These two videos are examples:

Carnivale series opening:

Full Metal Alchemist anime movie opening:

Basically it's about using 2D well-painted illustrations as sprites for creating a pseudo 3D. Animation/compositing is a totally new thing for me and I would like to hear what do you think, recommend and where I can start learning. I know any VFX software is suited for this, like as After Effects, Houdini or Fusion. But, firstly, they're industry standard software and they're very expensive. Secondly, I'm somewhat feel they're just overkill for my goals. These animations uses basic actions such as sprite movements, transformations, rotations, blurring, zooming etc. Perhaps you know a better software in terms of price and easiness of learning GUI and creating animation.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well...i'd recommend you grab a copy of moho (or "anime studio" as its now called) from www.lostmarble.com

its very intuitive, very powerful, has all the functions you described and doesn't cost much.

cheers,
    etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    After Effects would probably serve you pretty well here. And its by no means in the same price league as a full licence of Houdini or Maya or a powerful compositing package like fusion or Nuke.

Nick
    2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Final Cut dude, you can do anything in that program.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VirusArtist View Post
    well...i'd recommend you grab a copy of moho (or "anime studio" as its now called) from www.lostmarble.com

its very intuitive, very powerful, has all the functions you described and doesn't cost much.

cheers,
    etienne
    I've checked this software and I couldn't figure out way to import PSD files. Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by space-sprayer View Post
    After Effects would probably serve you pretty well here. And its by no means in the same price league as a full licence of Houdini or Maya or a powerful compositing package like fusion or Nuke.

Nick
    Uch, I don't have a money tree. I don't want to buy it and try 30-day trial isn't enough to try out these programs. I think I will need few months, maybe even half year to get used with software.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa View Post
    Final Cut dude, you can do anything in that program.
    Isn't this software for Apple computers? Unfortunately I'm a PC user

But thanks to you for your suggestions, it was worth to check In the worst scenario I will try with Flash, I didn't think it would suit for 2.5D using huge PSD files, but after seeing Anime Studio, which is similiar to Flash, I thought I should try.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    Maybe this...

http://www.creatoon.com/ - Free program for 2d cut-out animation.

Thanks
    sadly, i dont think you can import psd's.. dont really know.. i'm still using an old version of the program. there is a way of importing layers with transparency though: simply convert every layer to an interlaced png and load those up.. worked fine for me so far.

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Combustion is also an option.
    My website

Facebook Page

New CA Sketchbook

" The scientific and generally accepted-in-art term for this is "You're fuckin' screwed, dude..." " Ilaekae - May 16th, 2009

Thanks
    GIMP has an additional set of scripts called "GAP" (Gimp Animation Plug-in). It's a little bit clunky but you could make animation with it.

When it comes to what software to use you are basically paying for the GUI and other capabilities. The more expensive programs usually are more powerful, capable, and easier to work with. That's basically what you pay for in an animation program.

Technically you could make all of that stuff with Photoshop by saving out your file as a file sequence and then playing it back in VirtualDub at X frames a second. Rotations and transformations could be scripted in Photoshop too.. but doing all that is just a clunky way to work.