Chow 158 :: The Green Fairy - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Chow 158 :: The Green Fairy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KuGu / Heh, thanks Cute mechfairy, I like the suit alot.

Quick color update.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flashrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you gunnarsson
    Almost done, but I've been staring at this for too long now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finished

finished

Last edited by Lakeland; May 17th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakeland: I like that you put her inside the bottle, when I was searching for reference photos I almost went with that same one lol but i couldn't make it work, so I'm glad you did! One small thing though Absinthe has an E at the end so you should add that on your bottle label nice work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be picky and evil so people learn from it, hope it's understandable. And there will be typos and such.

Liv: The leg which turns under her butt is a little too twisted I think. I mean how could she hold it like that? Most of the colors are nice and subtle except the green of course. I think that decoration and the light coming from bottom in this form isn't adding anything to the picture, much more taking something away from it.

flashrabbit: I wonder how it will look when you finish it. I don't think showing bones is necessary to make it look frightening, the color of her skin might be enough. But it's just my 2 cents. Nicely painted otherwise. The butt and leg region micht be a little bit off.

Jefita: Cute little fairy. I like the colors, although they might be a little bit too faint and whiteish (maybe that's what is bugging you about them). you could add a little bit different hue greens to the green areas, might help.

Artofinca: I like how it looks now, I hope you will keep it looking fresh. where did you get the refernece from?

MONGOSMASH!: Hope you can finish it, I dont' see any problems with it, its cool.

KuGu: Looks promising, finish it.

artina: Some warm colors might look good on it, otherwise it's okay.

AvisNocturna: I like it, she is a bit fatty, but that makes her more realistic. Nice colors.

gunnarson: really nice painting technique, I even like the double ears/nose/eyes, will you keep them?

Noshot: I like the style of the clothing and hair, but the yellow shoes doesn't work for me, and the background seems to be in a different style than the rest. Hopefully will look more kept in the same style when you finish it up.

Angel Intheuk: The face seems a bit like a dwarf from Snowhite for me, but some details like the hand holding the vase or something is really really nice.

curly: I like it. The mouth is a bit weird, like Joker's mouth and maybe a bit too big.

scottmcd: For me the tummy is a bit too thin, the hand that is visible is a bit drawn strangely. Also the hips are like rubber being bent. The background looks like it was made with a 3D application, it's really different style than the rest, also the style of the wings look quite different.The lack of shadows also makes the figure and glass jump off the the picture.

Slash: nice.

wheezy: Your fair's position on the picture seems a bit random to me. Why is her finger just touching the bottom, and his toes cut off? Add a bit to the right and bottom please.

Chronoperates: Tasty and scary looking fairy at the same time. Her left arm might have strange thing going on anatomically the forms are a bit weird on it.

Mercuralis: looks nice.

ianthegeek: looks funny, although I don't really get the hairy guy. There are some stuff drawn weird on it, but if you finish it it might look alright.

Tydal: the tummy is very long and has strange shapes, the right shoulder doesn't seem to be understood anatomically. The head is too small. You could try to start all over again a couple of times if you feel stuck.

kisou: the pose seems to be very strange allright, but the problem is that you don't seem to have the ability to handle strange poses. Do you feel anybody could do this pose? for example his knee seems to be disjointed etc. I suggest you try some easier poses first, and then build up your knowledge gradually.

IceMoon: cute.

Arthemis IX: nice idea. the leg is a bit flat.

rinjii: her legs are too short I think and she looks a bit fat, but maybe you wanted to do it like that.

Lotta: Now this is really cool! So cute, you have my vote for this.

Zarquino: pretty frightening. One of the arms look like an earthworm.

conceptbloke: I like the lower left pose the best.

petitemistress: she is cute. The straight arm might be too long and the knee on the forward leg a bit too high.

Migsta: ugly and frightening, so just right I presume.

Max Martellu: Almost look like a photo, really nicely done. Did you ever try drawing without reference? No offence, just for practice's sake.

Ostrander: like it.

Amber Alexander: The belly and the upper body seem to be twisted without showing on the skin the twisting. I hope it's understandable what I mean. interesting color shoice and nice idea about the reflection.

Arthur 'Two Sheds': her leg seems a bit too long or seomthing is not right with it. I like the spoon's color. Interesting concept somehow.

JailhouseRock2: she is so cute! no, wait she is frightening. Looks nice. Maybe the background's value is too close to the skin's value.

Jessibean: I think you might be talented. Please finish it, I would like to see it with colors and such.

blau: the rendering style is really rigid, like it's made by a computer or something. I think it might be a good idea to llosen it up just a little bit. what will happen to her hair?

Missile: looks surrealistic to me somehow. why is the handbag's handle so horizontal? interesting picture.

Garth Cochrane: it would be good to see it finished.

davidmcleod: hehe, this is funny.

Nightblue: the tit is flat.

Ronpower: it looks to me she is holding a computer screen or something. Why?

agenda-b: she looks cute.

Lt Action: the coloring looks a bit rgid to me, also how did you select the colors: everything is very saturated in my opinion.

MJ Alcazar: really cute, nice linework, finish it up!

AmbientSounds: not much to say, finish it.

telamon: lots of stuff seems to be off, but I like the stealing idea. check the guy's arm, you should show that it's in perspective with overlapping forms, otherwise it just looks distorted and short.

darknight: that bottle is not drawn correctly in perspective, and it seems you've spent a lot of time on the fairy's head while the rest of the picture is a blurry thing. It's a good idea to develop the whole picture at the same time. why did you choose such weird colors?

blackcherry: cute little sketches.

cup of Tea?: she looks like a model on a runway. interesting costume on her. The tits are a bit too modellike for my taste.

Matt Dixon: I don't think you need my comments. But the blue version might be a bit more interesting for me.

Hexxon: seems a bit messy to say anything about it yet

Pixeltuner: looks nice, will you finish it up?

Mara644: very strict style, but I somehow like it.

Sekino: Just perfect! And plus points for it being in watercolor. You've got 2 votes from me.

southilbily: beautiful

darthmarsh: when will you finish it?

FridayEve: Really loose, nice style, she looks like a waitress for me. You must be a professional also.

Katanasoul: it looks like an anatomy sketch (a qute good one), I don't really see it as a concept yet.

IIKII: not much to say, because it's not finished.

PsycheDragon: the drawing seems okay, finish it.

Nichols: nice idea

Rustveld: Also nice idea, but it's just a sketch, can tell how it will look finished.

Nadiamoon: strange

agnostes: not much to say

curly: I like the one made for the flyer.

Poshspice: looks good enough. Ehm.

Lakeland: nice movemetn, the leg seem to be small or off or something. somewhere at the ankle.

Dan Valkar: really ugly

bangalore monkey: finish it please

mechasiva, I like the faces.

dose: sketches

Inkfish: seems nice

clochette: I like it as usual.

Noshot: hope to see it finished

fersteger: nice colors and lights

Tommoy: really like your brush (I use the same sometimes). this could be a funny picture.

Dirkvandulmen: I like the middle bottom one.

Krizalide: nice face

Gothique: the idea is interesting, the things are painted a little bit too sketchy yet

Phew, this was really hard. I don't think I will try this again

7. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to hungryan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to figure out what I want to do with the hair. The wormwood wasn't doing it for me so I'm trying just straight up green hair but now I don't know what style I want. I figured this looked pixie-ish so its a starting point.

Hungryan: none taken. I do draw as much as I can without reference but more recently I've been using it more than ever. I think its mostly a learning thing given that up until recently I barely ever used reference. For this piece, the heaviest reference has been used for the faces (minus van gogh's beard) and the girls hand.

Last edited by Max Martelli; May 27th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com
    http://www.maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

big changes

Well as I starting painting more and more with my first design, I liked it less and less. Taking advice I had received from here and from others I made some major changes.

Last edited by wheezy; May 17th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Alexander View Post
    Lakeland: I like that you put her inside the bottle, when I was searching for reference photos I almost went with that same one lol but i couldn't make it work, so I'm glad you did! One small thing though Absinthe has an E at the end so you should add that on your bottle label nice work!!
    Thanks Mate !
    totally missed that
    fixed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow158:TheGreenFairy_McleodWIP02

Heres my WIP from the past few days. Thanks for comments - Iooking forward to seeing everyones finals. Tried a few different heads and added silhouettes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow that is impressive hungryan! that is one epic post, thanks alot for taking the time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow158:TheGreenFairy_McleodWIP03

Forgot to add my latest - sorry. Good luck everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice idea mate
    but the briefing said it has to be a female character...
    sooooo STICK TO THA TOPICZZ!
    otherwise, great idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome entries, guys. Lots of really good ones. Barely finished this sketch this morning, hopefully I'll have time to finish it up in PS. Cheers.

Last edited by Johann de Venecia; May 17th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pfew Hungryan, those comments must have taken ages. I like the style you used on yours. However there are some anatomic issues, her left breast looks a little squeezed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, last update before posting in final thread. I was just goofing around and did a Miami Vice inspired color palette. Oddly enough, I think this may be my favorite set of colors, so I'm gonna roll with it.

Liv: Your fairy may be my new favorite (I have had a lot of different favorites this round ). It reminds me of Aeon Flux.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lakeland,

My thinking is that this is a guy, drinking Absinthe and The Green Fairy (his feminine side) is emerging. Call it as you see it - if its rejected I will understand of course.

I didn't read PoshSpices comment early on about sticking to females specifically so - my apologies.

Having said that...
    Poshspice - wow - beautiful.
    Friday Eve - nice technique - stands out from the crowd.
    JessiBean - Can't wait to see the final piece. Amazing sketch.
    Max Martelli - impressive rendering and I like your idea.

Cheers everyone!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to davidmcleod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspired by this week's CHOW and finding myself in my neighborhood pub, I opted to be served my first Absinthe....bohemian style. I must admit that the ritual is far more appealing than the drink itself, which tastes lie Anis, or Sambuca...at any rate, I have yet to feel its effects....either way, Im certain I will try it again some time soon.

now for some crits.....if I sound rude, blameit on the green fairy! @_@

@ MONGOSMASH:I feel that it looks very much like the reference pic you're using...but beyond that, it needs more character..but it's a very solid piece of rendering!

@ Artofinca: Very nice pose..the coloring is looking stylized and unique, but besides it being a chick sitting on an absinthe spoon, Im not getting much else....the background looks good tho

@ hungryan: First off...thanks for taking the time...you rock sir/madam! And I want to tell you how much I appreciate the cultural influence that shows through in your work...very refreshing!

@ Jefita: Thanks! I think adding wings to your fairy would stengthen the composition, but it's a personal preference....

@ flashrabbit: Hehee...looking nice...the rendering is quite crisp...tho the hand may be a bit chunky as of the last update..creepy!

@ Liv: Wow...big jump from the last post...very nice textures and lighting. Im not really in a position to say this, but what the hell...welcome!

@ Lakeland: I think you may waint to take another lo9ok at them feet..something is not quite right there...sorry I cant be of more help, but I do mean to be constructive...

@ Max Martelli: I think I actually liked the wormwood hair better for her. I envy your rendering tho...it's spot on.

@ wheezy: I like youre fairy, but see if you can thin her fingers out a bit, they seem abit sausagy...

@ davidmcleod: Hilarious!!! its what I felt like tonite when I drank the stuff....ahahahhahaha...you have one vote as well, sir!

@ Johann de Venecia: Holy frak!!!!!! that is hella-amano yoshitaka-cool! wow...just wow.

@ Tommoy: Great scene...tho there is something I feel is missing chromatically...some contrast of some sort..I would love ti see it pop more!

@ NoShot: I agree about the colors....but I feel the light source is unidentifiable. sorry I cant be of more help.

Ok Im off to sleep....Ill keep you all posted on whether or not the Greenfairy visists me cest soir...
    Peace!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cloud-Yo! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Yay! not counting sketches and studies, this is the first pic I do in almost two years!!!
    Not sure about the wings though, wasn't planning on any wings at all until I made the glass on her hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryan View Post
    blau: the rendering style is really rigid, like it's made by a computer or something. I think it might be a good idea to llosen it up just a little bit. what will happen to her hair?
    Thanks, yeah, I had no idea of how to do it and ended doing it the worst way :/
    I think I already have a better idea for the technique on the next one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buuhh, I forgot all about this. Dx Here's what I've done tonight, and I'll have to just haul ass in the morning before the deadline.

Holy crap, you guys, there is some INTENSE art in this thread.

gunnarsson: Yours creeps the hell out of me, but in a good way. Those arm veins are ridiculously awesome.

Name:  greenfairyWIP4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  168.8 KB

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mechashiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KuGu View Post
    @ Max Martelli: I think I actually liked the wormwood hair better for her. I envy your rendering tho...it's spot on.
    Firstly, Thank you.
    I really liked the idea of it but it just wasn't coming together in my eyes. I wish I had more time to work on it and tweek it until I liked it but due to time constraints I may have to settle for normal hair. Oh well.

Here's some more work on the body. I gotta work my butt off tomorrow if I'm gonna finish this. Sorry for not getting a chance to critique anyone. There are some really great things happening in this CHOW and I've enjoyed seeing them progress. Thank you for your kind words to all who gave them and good luck to everyone.

Last edited by Max Martelli; May 27th, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
    Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com
    http://www.maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a guy. I somehow never drawn nice looking women, only old people in the university, it's definitely something I could improve on. I think I will work on the tits on the picture of Fairy to make it more natural, not like 2 squeezed balls or something. Also the tummy looks a like something I could improve on.
    And it's fun to spot the problems on other people's pictures and help them improve, although there might have been a little too many entries now, and commenting on all of them was a bit too time-consuming.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So far the final burning is looking good! A heads up to TELAMON, CURLY and AKIDOAL. Check the posting rules about attaching your images and work in progress. PLEASE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omfg people you are all blowing me away!!! i run away for a few days and everyone has REALLY come out of the woodwork for this one! again i must say poshspices is my fav, but honestly theres so many good entries this round im in awe! heres my wip, ive been sick in bed all week so my tablet pc is my new (old) best friend!

adam

--------------------------------------
    Adam Nichols
    Concept Artist

http://www.adamnichols.net

Sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=142444

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my version of the Green Fairy.

I have 1.5 hours to make any small changes, so if you see anything that urgently needs to be fixed (like an error that will definitely cost me votes), let me know. I paint too slowly to make any major changes this late in the game, so keep that in mind.

I love almost everybody's so far! I'll comment on all of them in Final Burning

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this was one beautiful round everyone. I wish I had time to offer some crits on everyone. Loved all the takes.

Thanks to everyone who gave me crits!

I really, really wish I could've finished this one. This is all that I could come up with. Work and school, bad combination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry you couldn't finish in time, MJ. A real shame. It was looking totally adorable!

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I fumbled so hard on background and colors... ekh. I shdve just submitted the black and white version ._. I think I'll put this one up in the CC section and see if it helps

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Members who have read this thread: 1