Chow 158 :: The Green Fairy - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chow 158 :: The Green Fairy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jefita: Good call on the leg shortness. I believe I let myself fall victim to "Ohs noes! She's too tall for muh paper! BENDTEHKNEES!". How silly of me. I had her undergo cosmetic shin lengthening and I think it helped out ;D

COLORWIP!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  absinthe.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  71.3 KB

It looks like I've taken a similar road as several others. I plan to have her sitting on the rim, with her right leg descending into, and becoming the absinthe. I hope I have time to finish this one. Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP update

I lengthened her legs, shrunk her left hand and did alot of work to her face. I haven't worked on her clothes yet, or hair/ears. The main critique I had about my last painting from "the endless" is that she looked lifeless so I'd like to know if I fixed that in this painting. I'm also not comfortable with how the wings are going, they are kinda looking like batwings which I don't want, I want her to be seductive and not scary.

thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, here's my take- i was thinking about having her hovering and pour the absinthe into a glass from her jug. for her wings, i'm thinking about either detailing them with the slots cut into an absinthe spoon, or keeping that like a dragonfly's wings and putting the detailing on her body.

any comments on her proportions though? i feel i may be off a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to get some values down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn it! just spent the last hour or so writting up crits and accidently hit the wrong botton and lost it all. Note to self periodically save crits when doing a full list sigh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wip. Gave no thoughts of what she'd be wearing. Hopefully I'll come up with something good - really felt like painting her skin though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  158_hungryan_WIP3.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  70.8 KB

I don't have the .psd at the workplace, but I did a little paintover on the WIP image, I didn't like the colors, and the pose, so I ve changed them a little bit. Mara644: you were completely right about the pose, but I don't want her to lean on anything, or maybe she could lean on a dolphin? hehe.
    I might have to do something about the design of the character to make it at least a little bit interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chow 158 :: The Green Fairy

Great stuff everyone. I seem to be heading down a different path.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davidmcleod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!I'm impressed!So many lovely fairies!!! ^___^

AvisNocturna
    Don't be intimidated It's not commercial piece - so I'd let myself to experiment and ruin the work
    I like your goth beauty btw ^_-

Mercuralis
    Sweet perspective!And nice palette too

Katanasoul
    I'm learning anatomy now - your work is kinda guidence for me!Awesome

NicHolS
    Interesting approach

Matt Dixon
    Aaaaaa!I'm at one thread with Matt Dixon and I'm commenting your work!!!Aaaaaa!
    As you probably guessed I'm one of your annoying fans..Muahaha!
    What can I say except "awesome"?I think funny I knew she's drinking - with such a life... DD

FridayEve
    Thank you for the great tutorial!She's sweet!

Pixeltuner
    This one of the most serious and beautiful green fairies!

Arthemis IX
    Great idea!!Check my glass hhh

telamon
    uuuuu!Colors...I was so stunned with this beautiful palette that almost missed the concept Nice idea!Now I know what green fairies do

davidmcleod
    That's my favorite!hhhh

I think I've got a concept

13. The Following User Says Thank You to curly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to jump in on this one, pulled about a 6 hour stretch painting it, hate putting stuff down and picking it back up heh.

And yes, those are spoon wings.

Also, just realized that the closest little wing is out in front of the rim, stupid layers, I'll have to pop that back behind it in the main file.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chronoperates For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of nice entries! I'll have to edit in some crits later today. Takin a CHOW break on this one, last one wore me out a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Had to do it!

Updated this to show the WIP...I did it all last night so I just posted what I had.

This one sounded fun, so I had to do it. This is the first thing that came to mind....Ewww.

Here's mine...so far

might add a little more 'wet' effects to her skin...

Last edited by Migsta; May 15th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.
    - My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Migsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP B/W and colors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been feeling pretty crook the last few days so all I've done is this rough out of a composition that came to me last night. My idea is to have a Brian Froud style Good Faery/Bad Faery back to back. I'll try and make my skinny fairy more Froudian and evil looking than she is now, but that will have to come later. Hopefully I feel better come the weekend and I can finish this sucka!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Garth Cochrane For This Useful Post:

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done about all I can to this now. Decided not to try making the ribbon/wings with spoon designs because it was getting too bloody complicated.

Wondering if I need to crop it at all or make it wider or anything. For now.. must rest wrists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Migsta - Awesome! First thing I thought of is that it needs more moisture on the skin. Nice.

Garth Cochrane - Get it done! The Froud Faery looks really good as it is.

Missile - The arm/elbow is a bit unclear. The brachioradialus (front part of the forearm) goes "over" the biceps and I think if you hint at it with a little shadow, it will read more clearly. Sorry if that is not very clear, I messed with a pick to try to show what I mean. I tried cropping it to see what it looks like and I think it looks good how it is.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Majenkus For This Useful Post:

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Majenkus, that's really helpful.

I'll try to fix it up with some more shadows later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well - that's is for today.I'll continue tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a pair of wips, and man I cant believe how many people do chows now! 28 users viewing and 5 pages... anywho, i've descided to go for the bottom right one, in the first wip. going for a deranged, disfigured look.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dear, it's not looking good. Thanks for all the crits btw! I tried to alter the arms and head and what not but It's kinda fallen apart...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some comments:

telamon: Good concept and funny too. The guy looks totally on his guard though and not all that pleased that she's so close. Maybe turn his head toward her and have more hint of a smile or eagerness. I think you could bring his jaw back some. Her arm needs some work - it doesn't seem to fit into the same space as the rest of her. I think her hip should be in a different place too - probably further back. The curve of her spine looks like it would be painful. I like the foreshortening of his arm, but the arm should be a little taller.

AmbientSounds: Nice pose and rendering - especially on the hand. I think a background would help you too - even an abstract one. Put some liquid spilling from the glass, right? I'm not sure about her expression. It's kind of neutral - what are we supposed to think when we look at her?

JailHouseRock2: I like it so far. She's icky. Scales are a nice touch, and I like how you've done the bottle.

Jefita: Great idea with the hair! Nice work on the glass, too - maybe lighten it up a little? I'm not sure.

MJ Alcazar: Similar pose and camera angle to your last one, but I like this one better so far. Maybe it's the expression on her face. Looking forward to updates.

Lt Action: Everything's so saturated that I don't know where to look. Do a values check, too. I like the linework, especially around her shoulder and arm that's holding the bag. I'd have her lower lip be smooth and not angled lines, but that's just me.

agendab: Nice start, and good volume with the pencil around her torso. I hope you keep that when you go to coloring. Might be neat to keep the pencil in the finished version.

Amber Alexander: My favorite part so far is the fabric drape/wings. Very cool. I think the figure drawing itself could be more fluid. That back leg is really rooted to the spot - maybe introduce a bend at the knee and have her up on the ball of her foot some. There's a good twist between pelvis and torso, but the area of the rib cage is a little flat. She's not skinny enough to see the individual ribs (which I like), but I think we should still see shading patterns resulting from the entire rib cage. Finally, look for chances to play straight edges off of curved ones. For example, you could have the forward thigh with the top surface a little more curved to show the flexed muscle at the top of her leg. In that case, the bottom of that leg would have a fairly straight line, like it does now. (Yes, I see it's got a small curve, but it's mostly straight.) Or, you could introduce more curve on the bottom part of the thigh to contrast with the straight edge on the top of the leg. Hope that's making sense.

hungryan: I'm still not quite sure what you're after in the drawing - I 'll try to post additional comments if you post an update. Is she treading water in absinthe? What's at the top of her head?

Chronoperates: Way cool and brilliant idea to have the spoons be her wings. Not sure what's going on with the green swirls in front of her thighs. Is she dissolving? Is the absinthe coming from her? I like the death's head under her elbow.

Migsta: Wet would be good, as would a blotchy, mottled appearance. Or a hint of it anyway.

curly: Good progress. Her left hand (our right) doesn't seem to know what to do with itself. Maybe have it further down, with the palm reaching away to her left?

darknight: I like the fairy. What's bothering me is how the spoon is bent, the bottle seems squished, and perspective is off. Maybe the perspective thing is on purpose, though. For tings like the spoon and getting a good circular bottle, try starting them off with paths and the pen tool in Photoshop (if that's what you're using). Then convert them to selections. Plenty of other ways to do it too.

Matt Dixon: Tinkerbell as a lush. Perfect.

AvisNocturna: That absinthe is coming from her dress, right? I like the pose and that the spoon is mostly edge on. I'm not sure about her expression, but I think that's personal taste.

Time to go home.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scottmcd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, the swirly stuff in front of her leg there is the absinthe mixing with the pile of sugar shes sitting on. I tried to make it look kind of like sand does when you kick it up underwater while at the same time make it look like the way it clouds when the absinthe and the sugar mix.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chronoperates: the line from butt to upper leg should be much more fluid, and I think her legs are too small, just compare her feet to her head.

AvisNocturna: So far I like yours the most. The only little thing that bothers me is the thing on her head, looks too vertical and in line with her neck.

Still working on mine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, for today, some thoughts on the post on this page

telamon: I really like your idea, nasty little fairy... Watch his arm, it looks kind of flat right now, and I think you could maybe show a little more of the fairy and a little less of him?

AmbientSounds: I like her pose, I'm not sure about your colours though. Maybe take a look at pictures with green light and study how they work?

JailHouseRock2: Wow, that fairy is scary! I totally love her... Very cool design

Jefita: I love her expression and the light mood in this one, I also like the idea of her hair connected to the absinth.

MJ_Alcazar: There's something about that drawing I really like. Can't tell what it is exactly, maybe her expression, the lines and the design of the vermouth leaves watch her ribcage, it looks a littlebroken on the right side of the picture...

Lt_Action: I like the design of her wings so far.

agenda-b: nice pose and expression!

Amber Alexander:I like the pose and your design of the wings. scottmcd already made some good suggestions on how you could improve this.

rinjii: you're right about the proportions, maybe you should look for a good reference?

ronpower: very cool pose and design.

nightblue: Loving your pose and composition, very dynamic!

hungryan:
    not much to say to this one so far, I'm excited on what you do with this.

davidmcleod: what can I say? I absolutely love it! the disco setting rocks!

curly:
    thanks aaand cookl design of her dress!

chronoperates: That's awesome, love the design of her wings, great idea.

migsta: woa, it's a troll! great so far!

garth cochrane: nice idea! I'm totally diggin the right fairy. Her expression absolutely rocks!

Missile: I like the design so far.

gunnarsson: well, I can't say much about it, but I'm exited on what you're going to do with your sketches

tydal: Already looking better, but her shoulders still look a little wide. Her hips also look a little too slim in comparison.

scottmcd: thanks for the crit! I'm not sure about the dress/absinthe thing, I'm gonna play with it a bit..

blau: thank you very much! I see what I can do about the crown
    I like your pose a lot. Watch her neck,I think some parts of her trapezius on her right side should still be visible.

That round's going to be huge! Everyone loves fairies! Haha...

Worked a bit on mine as well... I'm still not sure about the colours (too green right now, I think...) and her dress as well as the spoon. it looks a bit boring now that I browsed through all those amazing stuff here!

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Going to be a stellar round, I think...
    The drawing I have so far

Will post some comments and crits after work...

Name:  green_fairy_sketch_sm.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  218.8 KB

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    migsta- Fucking awesome man!

AvisNocturna- Thanks, lovin yours as well!

scottmcd- Cheers mate!

JessiBean- As always great work!

I was thinking colours like this, but I have no idea about colour so some crits would be great! And this is may first CHOW too!

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jessi you got my vote so far. WOW!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

41. The Following User Says Thank You to wheezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scottmcd thanks for the suggestion about her back leg, I agree I think it looks alot better, that helped to make her look like she's mid-dance and I put some more curve into her thigh. Had to change the wings though, they weren't working for me

I'll do a bunch of crits later on but please keep them coming, you guys help a ton!!

WIP update:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone's looks really great so far. Such vibrant and beautiful greens... Mine looks so boring in comparison.

Jessi, it's really fantastic looking. I won't lie, I am pretty intimidated about posting mine after seeing yours. I bet your colors are gonna rock too. I've noticed you're pretty great with greens.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

44. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1