Sketchbook: When I Get Good, You Will Regret Not Visiting This Sketchbook - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: When I Get Good, You Will Regret Not Visiting This Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir: Thanks dude! I know I can always count on you for encouragement.

I've been in an art rut recently, and just now seem to be getting out of it. This is today's duel. I'm gonna focus a lot more on lines and values for the next couple of duels, because those are the things that make a picture. Colour is sort of like icing, and a cheap way of making something read. Or, I guess, in really complicated scenes you need colour to tell things apart, but I'm not old enough to do big complicated paintings anyway.

Or am I? There's a new personal piece in the works, and it's gonna negate everything I've done up to this point.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yo man, awesome digital cast studies!!! your getting alot better! keep the studies coming! and keep pushing yourself!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    take some great artist, like vyle or coro, and take their piece into photoshop and change it to black and white, you'd be amazed
    this last one's cool, just watch out for making everything side on, doesn't look great all the time
    keep at it my friend!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, it's Connor from GCA. Cool stuff in here, keep it up dude! The dailyduels pieces look cool, you SHOULD try to render the hell out of one of those pieces. Just treat it like a cast drawing once you get it to a stage you're happy with. Fix up issues with the anatomy and solidity, find your shadow terminators, and then just crawl right out of the shadow on to the form (keeping in mind your light source ! I'm sure you could surprise yourself and do something really awesome out of your head, as long as you put some good time and effort into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nickybeats: Thanks dawg! Trust me, I'm not pushing myself yet.

Ryanoir: You're right. Also, james gourney had a post with a bunch of master works in grayscale a long time ago. I've never even thought about making things read to the extent that they do. It's insane.

Connor: Good to see you, dude! It's actually amazing how much cats drawing helps with seeing form and values. I can't even imagine what I could have learned if I did it for another month. You better put that knowledge to good use yourself!

As Bobby Chiu put it, it's very important to figure out a strategy for 2011. In my efforts to do so, I've been trying to figure out a lot of introspective questions. Sort of like the influence map on DA, but broader.

Chasing that perfect studio is like chasing a perfect girl - if she actually wants you start to wonder if perhaps you can do better. The drama of uncertainty is what keeps the pursuit going.

I'm getting close to the point where my art will need more than just foundation to be good. Things I've been working on recently:

Values:
    • Making things read
    • Form rendering

Drawing:
    • Double foreshortening
    • Twisting forms
    • Big shape relationships
    • Flow
    • Grasping the air

Continuing with these themes, here are some duels, and prep sketches for upcoming personal illustrations.

Last edited by isso09; January 5th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ladies and gents, I decided to pursue my long-time high school dream. This is my last post until six weeks from now, at which point I will have hopefully achieved it. I'm gonna join the race for that most coveted of the gaming holy grails : concept art job at Blizzard. You can keep up with my progress on DailyDuels.com as I will be pouring my heart and soul into every illustration, catering to the Blizzard aesthetic and, eventually, quality. The best of these will be submitted to their Fan Art Program, aiming to get posted for 5 weeks in a row. Basically, I'm going to paint until it wouldn't make sense for them not to hire me. Hopefully, six weeks will be enough for that.

Why six weeks? GDC .

In the meantime, let me share some parting thoughts with you. Drawing, like any art, is just another magic trick. If the mind of the beholder cannot bridge the gap between his ability and the picture (or art work) he sees before him, he finds it impressive and amusing. The wider the gap is, the more impressed the viewer is (another obvious factor affecting the effect of the work is the viewer's prior experience with art works of the same kind). If the viewer has the ability to create a picture of comparable quality, he/she knows the secret to your magic trick, and no longer finds your work impressive.

The nature of drawing and painting makes us very susceptible to self-inflicted physical damage. Drawing requires a lot of focus in order to make something of merit. This kind of mental commitment often makes it difficult to be aware of your physical state, i.e. posture and possible pain you may experience. Since it requires a lot of time also, you may mess yourself up pretty bad without noticing it. Heed the warning, kids! Stop drawing while you still have the limbs.

Last edited by isso09; March 24th, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! And god speed on your quest for the grail!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice work, you're always pushing the pace. I think my favorite is the very last picture of that space suit concept, looks very good. It also seems to be a slight departure from your usual style.

I wish you good luck on your Blizzard pursuits, but why does that require you to stop posting on CA for the six weeks you work on pieces for them?

Anyway man, again, good luck, and keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alexson: Thanks man! I'm gonna make it. I got the dream.

Untouched24: Thanks a lot, dude. Posting stuff on all my sketchbooks took too long out of my day. I needed to get like 10-12 hours of work done, plus food and hygiene.. I think I'm gonna go back to that schedule since it seemed to produce good results. Shit is gonna get intense.

I'm back from GDC now and my mind is still trying to straighten itself out. I feel a little empty from having the deadline for such a significant goal pass, and I dearly miss the three days I spent hanging out with professionals. They flew by so fast, and I can't help but feel like I didn't make the most out of the experience. That said, even though 6 weeks was not enough to accomplish my dream, GDC was the best place to spend my birthday week. The questions that have built up over the weeks finally got answered, I met tons of badasses and got a lot of feedback on my portfolio (which you will find below); and most importantly, I know exactly what I need to do to get to where I want to be.

In addition to the emptiness, I feel a lot more freedom. I'm free from the time pressure, and free from my ignorance of how the industry works.

I've been keeping a diary of the things I learned over the last 6 weeks, and I think once I actually accomplish my goal, I will post a very extensive "how to." In the meantime, I'm gonna regroup, clean my room, my body and mind and my "to do" list; and prepare for the next round.

The 6 weeks actually turned out to be quite different from what I expected. I spent the first two weeks on the spider piece below, and a piece that's not shown. The following 2 were spent entirely on duel concepts, and the best displayed. The fifth week was taken up largely by 3D, and I spent significantly less time on painting, and I spent all of the last week on my 3D. Ultimately, I only spent 2 weeks focused on solid drawing, so imagine what kind of progress could have been made if I dedicated the entire 6 weeks to it like I said I would. Anyway, enjoy!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool paintings! Love to see more drawings. Your really going for the Blizzard style. Keep it up. Love your colors by the way too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    inspiring turnout.
    i especially like that skeleton archer, you painted it really well. :]
    and i'm glad you enjoyed your GDC experience!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great characters bro! much improvement since before GDC
    really great work here isso!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey...some great work you're doing here. I really like that pic above with the wagon. It's full of action, you can almost hear all the different soundFX just from looking at it-that's a good piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, really great effort, I can definitely see you improving. I feel like you have a pretty strong composition if your pieces, is there anything you do that you think helps you visualize a scene better? Also those line drawings of characters on the paper texture background are really cool, great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is gangster. Your first page sucks, this page is sweet and everything in between. I hate people who start new books, half the appeal is to see that improvement is possible. Carry on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are one of the people here that inspire me to sketch art make art everyday. Keep up the exceptional work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh hell yeah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Scribbles: Thanks man! More drawings on the wei, i promise. They're gonna blow you a-wei.

a la bapsi: Thanks man! Just trying to be good.

Kalin: Thanks. I was really going for the stereoscopic audiovisual experience. Trust me, though, once I start painting again it's gonna be 10 times better than that.

sony: Oh thanks dude. I'm glad the corporation approves.

Untouched24: As a matter of fact, I think my composition needs quite a bit of work. Both of the pieces below are flat, and the focus point is dead in the center of the picture. In the wagon piece, most of the elements are the same size on the screen, and you could feel the speed of the cart a lot more if it was more foreshortened. Here's what makes you better at composition: thumbnailing. Remember that any good picture is made through establishing 3 main values - dark, middle, and light. You interlock those in an interesting way to make your shapes read and you get a good picture. Also, Jason Manley's composition lecture is pretty good to watch. But that's more about designing the three main values. Ultimately they are the foundation of any strong image. This stuff is gonna take a really long time to sink in (it took two weeks for me), so keep thinking about it in all the pictures you do. The more you analyze, the more you learn. It's also called value grouping. This is why people do those black and white images for practice. If you can make a shapre read with two values, you can do it with 9. I'm rambling I think...

Ryanryan: You speak the truth, son. I will carry on.

nichsweetd19: Thanks man! That's what I like to hear. KEEP UP THE INTENSITY!

wi2rd: YEah!

Well, it's time to get back to work, and I figure the only WEI I'm gonna beat Wei Wang at art is to paint from life. That's the wei everyone seems to learn how light works and how to create believable form. So, until Daily Duels gets back on its feet, here come the daily still lives!

Still need to work on values and texture. It's pretty tough, but I figure these will get much easier in about a week.

Then there are these guys:

The trouble with that portfolio below is that I'm a lot better than it, both because the 2D works are now almost a month old, and because I did each one in a day. But nevermind that, the project I'm working on right now is gonna kick so much ass, you have no idea. I hope to finish it by Monday.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a firm believer in number of updates over having things to say so here. It's the sunset out my window. Or it tried to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought I wouldn't post today did you? Well you're WRONG.

This is a lot better than the last "night still life" I did. I think back then i couldn't see green. On this one I tried to achieve a realistic look with the highlights, but failed again. Oh well. Some value areas need a bit of work as well. Now that I see it in thumbnail, mistakes become more apparent. Gotta remember to step back!

Can't wait to see what my paintings will look like when I get back to them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know how your photoshop is set up, but you can add the 'navigator' window and that gives you an active thumbnail, a lot of artists use it, veryyyy handy
    your cup looks great dude, dont beat yourself up, just notice what you did wrong and dont do that next time
    i realllly like the sunset view, great colors and mood you captured there sir!
    oh and those keys are absolutely fantastic
    keep it up isso!

JamesSimons is offline why? are you afraid we’ll get killed? Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very impressive variety of study's, your improving quick!

"You're already DEAD!"
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm speechless
    you are my hero
    huge progress
    how ?
    damn
    i love u
    good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, amazing SB! The contrast on your pieces is very well made! Aswell as compositions. Excellent job man. I'm sure I will not regret anymore on future for not visiting this sb
    When you become famous, don't forget about us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you use values very good .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir: Thanks man! You compliment wayy too much. I don't deserve that. Just trying to analyze my mistakes.

JamesSimons: Thanks, James! But I could always be quicker.

witek: Lol. It always makes me feel happy when people are that impressed with my work, so thanks. Just analyze dude. Think where you wanna be, and think of every thing you could possibly do to get there. And if you're not getting shoulder or wrist pains from the amount of drawing you're doing, you're not drawing enough. So, work and think.

Jramauri: Haha thanks man! I'll try. I've often wondered how my posting habits would change if I got a job doing concept art. I know a lot of people drop off the face of the earth, but I'm gonna do my best not to. In the worst case scenario, I'll keep posting my studies.

raminafshari: Thanks, dude. I think i got them to an acceptable point in my imagination work. Now I have to learn to use saturation and edges.

For the past three still lives I've used pretty much completely different methods of starting. First one was an amalgamation of brushes, just getting warmed up. Next, I tried to block everything in with a hard brush and exact colours. Now I tried blocking in with a soft round airbrush and approximate everything, then refine colours, edges, values and drawing as you go along. I think this is the method that saves you the most time in the end. You can leave most of your painting with soft edges and "averaged" colour, but then tighten up the areas of focus, and find a way to guide the eye creatively. The danger here is it's very easy to make the entire painting swim in mud.

I've also been thinking a lot about colour transitions, and trying to make them as efficiently as possible. Highlights, for example, take at least two tones (usually a saturated soft one first, then a dull, bright, hard stroke on top) to pull off. I think ideally you want to simplify the picture down to as few colours as possible, and still retain all the information in the picture. That's where the "skill" comes in.

Gettin my still life mojo back, though. Feels good.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work man, just flipped through your sb a bit.. your progress is inspiring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4tonmantis: Thanks dawg! All that in two years of work.. I mean really the progress started when I graduated, because I didn't have all the fucking school work distracting me. So really, 9 months.

Velocity Kendall: Your name is pretty goddamn fresh. Thanks dawg.

Got the FIRE BACK YEAH!!!

Been thinking a lot about form in my still lives. Having less and less time to do them these days... How long can I keep it up?

Also, I'm often on the phone with my girlfriend as I do these, so I wonder how that affects their quality. During the last one she read me Sailor Moon lore from the wiki.

Some thoughts I've collected over the past couple of days:

When you are drawing line art, doesn't matter that much how you arrange your shapes, as long as there is a semblance of going big to small. The eye can be guided with line weight.

Size should dictate the amount of detail you put on an object. If it's big, it's usually important.

I think that ideally every company wants their concept artists to produce the quality of work they would produce for themselves (for fun), but do it for the company and before its deadlines.

If you want to become good, you have to modify your process for painting so that you are rewarded appropriately as you paint. In a way, it's like a video game. It's only fun if you have enough success, otherwise you don't want to play anymore. Since making a detailed illustration or concept takes a long time, there must be points in your process where you look at your work, become proud of your progress and get inspired to continue working. For me, there is always a dip that happens at about 40% when your expectations for the painting are underwhelmed by what it actually looks like as you start to refine the sketch.

There is always a positive and a negative way to react to your situation, so ALWAYS react positively. When you are striving towards a goal, you are only harming yourself by letting negativity get into your brain, even if its only for analysis of your situation.

I started taking 5-minute "motivation breaks." When I feel tired, bored or uncomfortable from sitting in one place for a while, I go into the living room and look outside for a couple of minutes. Then I flex my muscles, yell and do whatever it takes to get myself pumped up to go back to work. It works much better than taking breaks by checking your email.

Instant colour scheme tip #1:
    - Take your entire image or area with muddy colours and lower the saturation.
    - Go into "Color Balance" and raise or lower any colour you want. Boom.

I still haven't figured out a good way to mix colours digitally, because there is no way to preview the colour you find with RGB sliders other than trial and error. Also, PS eats your saturation when you use opacity to blend your colours, which gets in the way of everything. Maybe I should just permanently use my brush on overlay? Gonna try it on my still life tonight.

When you set out on a big project, it's important to lay down some key elements and main goals at the beginning, so that you don't lose track of them as you are working.

If you are using a soft brush, you are limiting your value range, because your capabilities for contrast are limited. This is why it also makes sense to use a soft brush to begin your paintings. However, as you progress through it, you must use a harder-edged brush for the fine value/colour transitions.

Contrary to the unpopular belief, it IS actually about the brushes. The shapes you make, the hardness /softness of edges, and how the brush puts down the colour are all qualities that are essential in achieving a workflow that makes every stroke count.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING I LEARNED: It doesn't matter how good or bad you are objectively. If you can constantly convince yourself that you're just within reach of greatness, you will become objectively great sooner than you think.

Oh yeah, I also think I'm gonna reveal that project I've been talking about. Check it out!

And some thumbs:

Just sent that off to the blizzard guys I met. Hopefully they'll find these worthy of a crit.

Based on the work you see above, things I need to work on are:
    - Scale
    - Depth in Z-space by the use of colour, saturation, edges and shape. i.e. more scale.
    So I gotta get back to work!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isso09 For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.