Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts

Exclamation Divine Invasion, Kris Kuski and Andrew Jones gallery show

Divine Invasion,  Kris Kuski and Andrew Jones gallery show

hi everyone-

ill be headed out to Toronto next weekend for a 2 man gallery show, I'm honored and humbled to hold down the Meta Gallery space with Kris Kuski, he is one of my top favorite contemporary artists and sculptors alive. , if you havens seen Kris's work get ready to have your pineal glands blown open.
    http://kuksi.com/
    both of us will be in attendance at the show and i will be giving a special Pha_Droid performance at the opening.
    PHA-DROID video

i will also be giving a Lecture/demonstration/performance on Saturday may 16th at st Stephens Catholic church. the topic of my workshop will be the Divine invasion of art and inspiration, I would like to keep the crowd intimate and am limiting it to 50 students. this mini workshop will create a opportunity for me to speak candidly about my work process and philosophy. any and all topics will be open for discussion ,I have just returned from a 3 week spiritual pilgrimage through the jungles of the amazon and the mountains of Matchu Pitchu and i have a few stories to share.

email ajones@spectrum.net for more details
    and email your rsvp jp@metagallery.com , it will be a 4 hour lecture presentation and the price is 50$ and seating is limited to 50 students.

here is the official press release for the show.

Toronto, Ontario, May 7, 2009 – Meta Gallery is pleased to present Divine Invasion, works by Kris Kuksi and Andrew Jones. This exhibition marks the Canadian debut for both of these visionary artists, and is the first time a single space houses their respective work. This historic meeting of the minds assaults our senses with feelings of wonder and awe at the incredible beauty which emanates forth from the dark reaches of the soul.

Welcome to the Divine Invasion. These two words ring true while navigating the intensely detailed works of Kris Kuksi, whose sculpture-cum-diorama defies genre or medium, and of the digital masterworks of Andrew Jones, where themes of good and evil and dark and light are deeply explored through the post-apocalyptical visions and otherworldly inhabitants which permeate his aesthetic expression. Both artists’ works perfectly meld aspects of the spiritual with a sense of the tyranny in the world and the constant struggle for survival humans face. What emerges is the sense that the struggle these two artists portray is one of the spirit in us all and the inescapable need to express itself through the divine within.

Working with a wide range of materials, ranging from rare and discontinued toys to small wooden sculptures to chess pieces, Kuksi spends countless hours scouring the Internet and local hobby shops to unearth the injection-moulded treasures which comprise much of his stunning assemblage works. Some as free standing sculptures, others as wall hangings, the artists creates worlds within worlds of perfectly ordered chaos firmly rooted in the shadow realms. A war wages. Soldiers upon soldiers with turret-gun head patrol the darkness while an ancient Hindu pirate ship masquerades as an aircraft carrier patrolling the waters of Kris’s subconscious. In one aspect surrealistic, the works by design lack a consistent narrative. The viewer is just as much a part of the artwork as the characters that inhabit the landscape of this truly bizarre and unearthly realm. Kuksi expertly treads a thin line between the symbolic and compositional cohesion of the works and the seemingly random and irrational nature of its subject matter. Various characters appear throughout – soldiers in this emerging paradigm, and evidence within Kris’ works that a greater story is being told.

In a parallel world, one whose darkness is only made visible by the forces of light battling for survival, the potent works of Andrew Jones bring about moments of reflection on our own personal battles–our own demons, cast of allies and obstacles which lie ahead and behind every single one of us. Utilizing a more pronounced narrative element, Jones executes his finely crafted works in the digital realm. A highly accomplished traditional painter, Andrew’s vision are more lucidly and precisely manifested in a digital medium. A master in his field, what results are highly polished and meticulously executed artworks whose impact on the viewer reflects the artist’s own search for truth – what Andrew’s works so subtly yet powerfully point towards

Divine Invasion will be on view from May 15 to June 14, 2009. Gallery hours are Tuesday – Saturday from 11-6 and Sunday form 12-5. The opening reception will be on Friday May 15 from 7-10pm. Artists in attendance.

For additional information or to be put on the preview list for this show please contact Jody Polishchuk at 416.955.0500 or jp@metagallery.com

http://metagallery.com/exhibitions/upcoming/
    Last edited by Android; May 17th, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The continued evolution of your work is inspiring. Best of luck with the show.

Thanks
    this.. http://www.vimeo.com/4309474
    i want to be a part of, how?

edit, its like music makes me want to dance, watching people dance makes me want to paint, painting makes me want to listen to music and this the cycle begins again, i want to be involved in tieing this together !! that cycle of passion that so many people only experience on a weekend, i want to be a part of that cycle one way or another
    Last edited by Nrx; May 9th, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
    dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Kuski is very awesome.
    Last edited by ~Faust~; May 9th, 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You two compliment each other divinely. Good luck with the show!

Thanks
    thank guys ,

I will have 8 works in the show

I'm experimenting with a new printing technique this time ;
    fujiflex prints mounted on Dibond aluminium boxes.
    the effect gives off a really brilliant color and resolution, I'm finding myself slipping further away from the canvas paradigm, and i feel that the Fuji film really gives more depth and justice to the pixels.

a few of the pieces will measure up to 2 meters in height and this will be the only printing of each work at this size with this particular technique,

looking forward to seeing the Toronto ca community at the show

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts
    kuski weaves some amazing oddities into his pieces that he composes into real masterpieces. i'd love to see his work in person.

android have you ever done any cibachrome (ilfochrome) printing of your images?

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The composition of the emulsion used in Ilfochrome prints is responsible for color purity, image clarity, being environmentally friendly, and archival. Unlike Type R processes by Kodak, Fuji, and others, Ilfochrome does not have dyes in the chemistry but rather in the emulsion. Azo dyes, which provide stable vivid colors, are embedded in the Ilfochrome emulsion are bleached out in processing. Since the dyes are in the emulsion rather than in the chemistry, the image is also much sharper and clearer because the dyes create an anti-light scattering layer which keeps the reflected image from being diffused when viewed. Although not completely environmentally safe, it is far more friendly than other processes because the toxic dyes begin in the emulsion and are removed rather than contained in disposable chemistry. As the colors formed from the azo dye are far more stable, the prints made from the process are archival and insisted on by galleries and art collectors as they will not fade in normal light.
    cibchrome prints framed in lightboxes look really great. i think the palette and complexity of your work would really shine in this method of exhibition.

anyway congrats on the show, hope it goes ace.

Thanks
    Oh, I'd love to see your works there.

Good luck
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    fak fak fak fak fak, I'll be closer to TO and would be so tempted, but I'd just be moving to a new place and money will be tight for the time being.

If I had the money and means I would so frakkin be there. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks
    thanks guys,

grief thanks for your advice . According to my sources fujiflex IS the new cibachrome..... cibachrome is dying/dead with about ten labs in North America left who do cibachrome printing and most of those only do it on order.

the Fujiflex are by far the nicest prints I have ever seen.

i have never

Thanks
    Reading this made me so excited...been following Kuski's work for a while now and it truly is AMAZING. I really wish the gallery page listed exactly which pieces were being shown, because his journal and website don't seem to mention them either. (His website is also a little behind...his devArt gallery has his 2009 pieces)

I know I won't be able to go to the opening, but the chance to see both your work and his in the same place might very well be worth pawning something for a trip up to Toronto. XD

Thanks
    wow i had no idea you new kris thats awsome man!
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    i will also be giving a Lecture/demonstration/performance on Saturday may 16th at st Stephens Catholic church. the topic of my workshop will be the Divine invasion of art and inspiration, I would like to keep the crowd intimate and am limiting it to 50 students. this mini workshop will create a opportunity for me to speak candidly about my work process and philosophy. any and all topics will be open for discussion ,I have just returned from a 3 week spiritual pilgrimage through the jungles of the amazon and the mountains of Matchu Pitchu and i have a few stories to share.
    I have never been more upset that I don't live in, and can't make it to San Fran for this. I would really love to hear about your spiritual journey, the amazon, and especially your philosophy. In many ways I find that alot more interesting than just discussing Painter/Photoshop techniques.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    android - do you know what time the lecture will be?

Thanks
    cthogua-

the lecture will be in Toronto not SF, i wish you could be there, it will give me an opportunity to speak freely about topics like spiritually and medicinal plants and chemical technology as it relates to creativity and digital art creation, things i don't feel as comfortable talking about on the boards or the conceptart workshops.

this will be the first solo workshop of its kind and holding it in the sacred setting of a catholic church will also increase the vibration, hopefully i will be able to create similar events lije this one.

arghmisfit- the lecture will start at 5pm and go late- there will be a digital portrait demonstration Q and A and a phadroid performance to wrap it up.

for the workshop on saturday im asking a 50$ donation, however no one will be refused entry is they cant afford it , My intention for my lecture is a service to the artists and seekers of Toronto , i would like to keep the numbers limited to keep the event intimate enough , and the donations will just cover flights equipment and the cost of the venue,

really looking forward to meeting you in person

Android

Thanks
    Oh right on, thanks for the correction man. Sadly I still can't make it to Toronto by the end of the week I think it's great that you're getting out there, teaching and talking about that stuff though. Way to return that positive energy. Hope it goes great and you expand some horizons.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    I wish i could be there, only problem is me being over at the other side of the planet. Quickely browsed through kuski's (terrible flash) website. Pretty awesome stuff. Those assembly's go a bit farther then sticking a bicicle wheel on a chair.

I'll be there when you visit holland :ca:
    (23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Dude, I will so be there. My home town, after all!

Thanks
    I landed in Toronto last Night,
    Im at the Meta gallery now,
    the Kris Kuski pieces are Epic, if you live in toronto and you like using your eyeballs to see cool things than you need to come out and see this work tonight, both of us will be here in person. I will be giving a pH droid performance at the end of the night around 10 pm, and then my lecture workshop will be saturda at st stephens church at 6;00 om.

see some of you tonight !!!

Thanks
    I landed in Toronto last Night,
    Im at the Meta gallery now,
    the Kris Kuski pieces are Epic, if you live in toronto and you like using your eyeballs to see cool things than you need to come out and see this work tonight, both of us will be here in person. I will be giving a pH droid performance at the end of the night around 10 pm, and then my lecture workshop will be saturda at st stephens church at 6;00 om.

see some of you tonight !!!

Thanks
    I was excited to come meet you and see Kris's work in person but i gotta go to work, ill drop by later during the exhibit. Exciting stuff Android.
    [

Thanks

Thanks
    a shout to all the Toronto folk, any one in the general area should really go check out it. I'm from the far side of Mississauga, so y'all got no excuse haha.

Last night, the opening reception was awesome. Andrew is a really friendly fella and Kris was great too. Also, ran into Bobby Chiu and some of the Imaginism folk. We were wondering about how Andrew's artwork was printed (no dots! haha) the images were really stunning and last but not least free beer!!

Going to attend the workshop tonight and definetly looking forward to that.
    Last edited by German-s; May 16th, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Gallery opening was incredible C: Andrew and Kris' work really do compliment each other nicely-- You can get lost in all the fine details. I was absolutely awestruck and thrilled to have met both artists for the first time and see their work so close and in high resolution ! Very approachable people and easy to converse with, if I wasn't so overwhelmed with amazement !

The workshop was incredibly enlightening; open discussion about life, art, spirituality, the industry, and illegal substances! Thank you so much for the wonderful opportunity !!

Thanks