sitting dragon
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: sitting dragon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sitting dragon

Hi, I am new. Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

So I did this on my free time on Gimp, I wanted to see how nice I could make it? I need help with anatomy and such I guess, and any other general issues.

I might color this, but before that I wanted to see how I could improve on the piece. Thanks for your time.

Name:  sittingdragonsmall.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  101.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good shadings and I like the head design! You've made the chest and arms very human-like. I suggest studying the muscles from something that walks with four legs, like a dog as you seem to have made the rear legs and pose very dog-like. Maybe for the same reason the way the back bends doesn't seem natural to me. Also try to get some more sense of weight on the front paw/hand supporting the dragon. But looks like some good use of Gimp all in all, overall look is clean and professional

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with above, also you don't seem to have wrists of any sort, there is clearly an ankle (not sure thats the right name in 4 legged anatomy but I think you might get which bit), but no wrist. Also, your wings seem to be coming off of the neck, nothing wrong with that if that's what you were going for, but most dragons I have seen have the wings behind the arms, so they are more from the shoulder blade region.

I really like the seethrough wing membrane, but I think Iwould like to see more of the fin on the back (almost missed it).

All round good start though ^_^

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitten Poker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am also in agreement with smuli and Kitten poker that the front claws are lacking a kind of joint or wrist and it makes it very stiff. I am also wondering if perhaps you should put a different angle on the right hand wing by either showing it more on the right side of the neck or on the left hand but in perspective not from a profile view. The last thing I notice is that you have some very nice values and textures going on and is very realistic in parts. like around the eye, however with that heavy outline really fights with it and thus flattening out the wonderful work. I would suggest thinning down that outline to a almost a hair or do a contrast background so you can define it.

Hope that helps.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments! They're all been really insightful for me. Ill try and fix things things up once I have the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aeveis View Post
    Thanks for your comments! They're all been really insightful for me. Ill try and fix things things up once I have the time.
    BTW welcome to CA, this is a great place to help you improve as long as you take everything with a grain of salt. FYI there is a thank button in the lower right hand corner of any replies to a thread which tallies up how helpful that person has been overtime it is a great way to gain credence as critics.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love everything about the head and wings and the basic body shape and proportions!

I agree that all four legs and the chest could still use more attention.

Looking forward to seeing more great stuff from you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

Hello, I've been kind of working on this on and off.

Some comments.

I tried reworking the chest area/arms. Also redid the legs and the body structure a little so it didn't look as awkward. Mostly went over everything/thinning the lines/making some parts a bit lighter and softer.
    The "fin" was actually the other wing, but i tried repostitioning it from another angle and then actually added fins type things >>.

This is still kind of rough, but I thought itll be better like this before I continue. The hands are kind of more human-like for now, not really sure if i should make them more animal-like.

I also tried changing the background to grey to see if anything stood out, but not really sure if it changes much either though.
    All in Gimp.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it, and its getting better already, although to me the line of the mouth seems a bit flat compared to the snout.

The fact remains that our world will come to an end, its NOT just a hunch.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Murmaider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOOH! TIS AN ICKLE LITTLE DWAGON! I loves dwagons, i doooo.

Much better after you reworked it, the arms seem to attach more realistically.

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NanoBlack For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.