Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: No Star Trek discussion?

Thanks

No Star Trek discussion?

I liked the movie. Not the best movie for the summer but it was great. The only complain was that they used some factory to depict engineering section of the ship. It made the ship much larger than it should have been.

As a person with a practical approach on entertainment, I really didn't complain with the movie in general. JJ Abrams resurrected the dead franchise very well. Still I was half amused that they used the time paradox plot to overthrow existing Trek lore. But as a practical person I believe it was necessary.

Then I skimmed through IMDB discussion and got horrified. It was full of old farts bickering and whining and bitching about their semi-cult getting a major facelift. So what? TOS was meant to be an action adventure with philosophy and social commentaries. It was made in 60s and it would be very impractical to convey the 'spirit' of TOS faithfully. Just watch other TV shows came out back in 60s.

I hope the franchise stays in big screens for a long time, anyway. TV has a small scope to depict such a huge universe. I just hope that they can come up with smart ideas to keep the franchise alive.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I haven't seen it yet, but yeah, I'm interested hearing what people thought of it.

And you don't have to be an old fart to appreciate 60's sci-fi aesthetics. As a design guy I tend to focus more on that aspect of movies/games. I'd rather see a new franchise than an unfaithful attempt to resurrect an old one. But perhaps, with some psychological tricky, I could convince myself that this is a new franchise (in case it's unfaithful, I mean).

Edit: I mostly see high ratings at IMDB when I look now.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; May 9th, 2009 at 03:21 AM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Fuck it, this movie rocked balls. Pitch perfect casting, great perfomances. A story not too convoluted and fantastic design. not best of the summer my nutsack.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seeing the trailer and the 30mm thing on sky premier I am really looking forward to this. I can be a sod for liking films, but I think I will like this!

Thanks
    loved the casting, character interaction and battle stuff but the plot was too convoluted with various holes. Some very cheesy moments too

overall a vast improvement though. I have a feeling the next one will be awesome as they've but all the pieces in place to do what they want with the next movie

Thanks

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluemonika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    ^ Haha. (in a way, that's how I feel about contemporary games.)
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Couldnt agree more with Interceptor, but ill try and give a constructive account:

Story: Pretty good, not great, but kept me entertained so i cant complain.

Casting and Acting: No complaints at all, i felt everyone held their own really well in this movie. I even liked Simon Pegg in it and i normally find that guy really annoying. A few dodgy lines here and there, but nothing that took me out of the movie. I thought the new Kirk did a great job, im sure we'll be seeing more of that kid!

Design: Spot on, i thought they had an environment and universe that felt very real. I noticed in the credits that both James Clyne and Ryan Church were involved with the design, which immediately made sense, coz this was as epic and stunning as their designs always are.

Visual Effects: As a visual effects artist myself i have to make a disclaimer here, but man these really were fucking beautiful!! I mean, totally blew me away! There wasnt once that i noticed any dodgy comps or crazy lighting! Ok, once or twice my brain kicked in enough for me to wonder how the hell they pulled off some of the shots, but my jaw was on the floor from the opening shots to that incredible end title seqence. In fact, me and a friend agreed after leaving that the effects in that title sequence were better than the entire Wolverine movie.

Must see. Go to IMAX. Enjoy!! Helluva fun ride!

Nick
    2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I had a blast watching the movie. It was fun watching the characters cuz they resembled the original cast.

Thanks
    I'm not a hardcore trek fan but I did enjoy both the old series, TNG, and the original movies. With the state of movies today, especially summer blockbusters, or even more to the point summer blockbuster revivals, I went into this movie with a bit of a jaded attitude expecting the typical cheesy hollywood stuff.... I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It was awesome. Go see it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I'm not even a huge Trek fan, always was more of a Star Wars geek as a kid but that was sweet.

8/10

Thanks
    Very intense for something Star Trek, perhaps a little much sometimes. The kind of sit back and enjoy the ride stuff. The plot was interesting enough to keep the movie going, even if there were holes in it. I'dd give it 7/10.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Blows Wolverine out of the water a million times over. Great movie. Plenty of spectacle, but the story and characterization is still strong. My favorite part was actually the lead-in to and presentation of the title. Holy epic shit-balls, man.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast