Art: Final Project 2nd Year Animation: Hat Fishing

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Final Project 2nd Year Animation: Hat Fishing

Had 2 weeks to animate it but it was extended to 3 aftewards on account of it having been our first time working in HD, our first time doing our own sound (our sound essentials teacher had showed us the folio room and told us to make noise in it but conveniently forgot to show us how to actually use the controls and set it up... on that note special thanks Kleewyck for having sat at the controls for so long to become our protools master after having received the 30min crash course from one of our technicians), and various other things. We'd had 2 or 3 weeks for storyboarding.. which was kinda long actually when we had 30secs of animation to do then clean up (cleaning up our pencil sketches! Another first!) and a limited amount of time to do it. A lot of us had started our animation by the 3rd week.

Anyways, I learned a TON on this and while there's definitely some stuff I'd like to fix (I was really surprised to discover that even though the shapes were overlapping, when the lines are as clean as they are when done by the computer the lines strobe anyways even though they were fine on the pencil test) I think I killed myself enough on this. Especially considering at one point during the inking process I could no longer hold my tablet pen and I was seeing pink everywhere. Never a good sign.

Still lots to learn

Also I should note that this was originally animated to be fit between other animation, hence the odd box beginning and ends. Those were the connecting 'book ends' as my teacher put it. They all had to be fit into 30secs (oh great! Writing our own stories to animate and squash into a time frame! Another new experience for the last project!). So yea, whole lot of learning for a very short time frame. Hope you like it, and I think it's been long enough now since I did this (finished it in April) that I'm ready to accept critique.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It's really smooth Some of the lines do break in some parts, but for it to be done in 3 weeks, it's awesome. What did you guys use to make this?

Thanks
    I started in pencil, shot it on flipbook, exported a movie with each frame shot once (a 4th year told me later that it's better to do the timing on flipbook then just duplicate frames where there's holds when working on PS, oh well, I'll know for next time), put the avi into a video later on CS3, inked it in photoshop splitting up each cut scene in a different file so I didn't explode the computer or the program (some of the longer scenes were taking at least 1-5 minutes to save each time by the end), exported the CS3 files as png(I think it was png...) image sequences and put the scenes together and did the timing in after effects.

I recorded the sound in a folio room with protools, edited it with either premier or garageband, (I'm not good at protools and these programs were easier to access in the school) some of the sound I had to look for in our school's sound library then put onto i-tunes on my laptop because it's a pain trying to get them onto the computer using media player, then I exported an editting video version of the animation to time the sounds to in premier, then... umm.. what then... ah yes! Sent the animation and sound files to the master collection to be rendered into the master project where the whole class's stuff is put togeather.

Later on I exported a smaller mov version with the sound attached so that I could actually watch it with the proper timing on my own comp as the big HD files with everyone's stuff on it kinda lags. It's an mp4... really big file.

IOW... lots of different programs.

Thanks
    oh snap That's a lot of work

Thanks
    And once again - The technical work is the most important,
    and the effort is put mostly to it. This makes the artist
    forget his primary purpose - Giving the viewer the illusion of life.

Who cares about HD or not? As long as you believe and convince
    us that your character is alive - Even a rough animation can
    stand alone as a final project.

You have a bit of a problem with timing. The whole thing tends to pass
    way too fast. Let us meet the character before another action
    is taken (exposition to the character). Give her some time to think before
    she acts, like when she notices the hat - It happened unnaturally. The frame with the box after it lands should stay
    for a couple of frames so the viewer can understand what the heck just landed there.

Anyways, It's awfully nice to see some traditional 2d here!
    Where do you study?

Thanks
    The point is that I'd never worked in HD before, and there was a lot of learning the technical stuff that went with it. It took 3 classes before any of us could export it without turning it into pixel city, and it was required that we do it in HD, roughs weren't allowed. Sound was required. Believe me, I'd have LOVED to have just stayed rough and work more on the animation, (like give her a face, inbetween the skip and figure out how to animate secondary action of a light line with a weight on the end), as my roughs weren't allowed and most of my rough animation that I had before inking was essentially just stick figures with a box for a body if it was rotating and an oval for a head. I focused on the animation right up until I knew I wouldn't finish if I didn't start my cleanup that instant I wouldn't get it done (as it turned out me, and 70-80% of the rest of the class still weren't done anyways, and our teacher acknowledged that the 2 weeks and a bit he'd given us to animate it really wasn't enough and gave us an extension).

Thank you for the note on the timing. I was having troubles trying to fit stuff into the final animation. You mention the noticing of the hat. The thing is I had to keep it to 30secs. Not trying to make excuses, just explaining the reason for my next question: is there anywhere you think I could edit something out to add more time for character reactions and stuff? Or is it just simply that 30seconds was not enough time for this story? Should I have said screw it and and added a few seconds? (This would have been a slight problem as there was exactly 30secs reserved between two other animations for mine to be placed, they could have moved the other animations over, I just didn't want to make them )

As for the box: Oops! Forgot I didn't have a following animation to fill in the extra box frames (the next person's animation would have had the box there for a few frames) Thanks for that note though.

Oh! And you didn't say anything about it but if anyone has any tips for keeping stronger silhouettes I'd very much appreciate it.

Anyways, I'm studying at Emily Carr University.

Last edited by Keng; May 10th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.