Art: Corth's sculpts

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Corth's sculpts

Thanks

Corth's sculpts

Hey guys, been a long time lurker here. Last year I finally found an art store that carried some super sculpy so I picked some up and slowly I've been finding other things I need for this hobby. Before I started this project I had done 2 practice runs where I tried the layered baking technique and after the sculpts started to crack they seemed unsalvageable. So now I'll just go for the gusto and finish em up before I bake, kinda like the dude I'm posting. Anyways, some pics!

Originally I was going to make it mostly human, but the really short legs made that a little hard (I didn't think the armature all the way through), so I had to make it some sort of monster.

Those pores all over his body excrete a puss-like substance that keeps this monster protected from the elements during it's hibernation (yeah, I made a back story too!). You can see 1 of the only 2 cracks I got during baking here on his webbed spine (I'm not sure what its actually called, the name eludes me!).

Further back.

A shot of the back.

So that's my first actual sculpt, any c&c would be great, I want to add much more detail to my next project. I do have a question for you guys though, I want to paint this guy with an air brush (I hope to be picking it up soon), so how does one go about that? (in regards to primer, or should I not paint sculpy?)

Thanks for looking!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Howday Corth, welcome to CA!

Great for your first, well done on diving in, it's the only way to learn!!

My crit would be I'd like to see more refinement in the mouth area, he doesn't seem to have teeh, so I'm thinking he might lash out with his tongue? Maybe a little longer and pointier, but that's just my take on it.

The overall character communicates well, I think the paint will bring him to life.
    Sculpey loves paints, citadel paints work very well, prime spray it with skull white or grey and then go for the colour!!

Oh ps. you know now the sculpey is cooked you can sand it and scratch into the surface a little- if you just want to add some last minute touches

If you've pic of your armature can you share them with us pleeeease

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaMonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Corth, congrats on your first sculpt, it is very impressive. I agree with TeaMonster on the mouth area, his tongue is really fat! He looks to me like a marine monster. That crack on his sail looks nasty, fill that up with epoxy or clay. I see this monster having a turtle-like color, dark colors with a few dash of lighter colors. Very interesting! I know nothing of airbrushes, can't help you there.

Thanks
    I've wanted to just dive in since I was in high school, but no one had any info for me. Small towns that have very little in the way of artists is not the first place I would have chosen to grow up in.

The mouth area, I was pushing for bird-like, with the beak doing the tearing instead of teeth, and the tongue being thick. Now I see that the nostrils on the top give it the illusion of a fleshy mouth (dang!) I will definitely be on the lookout with any more monster references.

I'm really looking forward to painting this guy! I'm picking up an air brush soon, so he will be my first attempt, I plan on a sickly-green and light fleshy-pink color scheme on his soft spots with dark green and blacks around his dried-up/harder skin.

I fixed up two things so far, the big crack on his sail, I filled with green stuff and there were some weird bumps on the back of his head that I sanded down. His whole skin has been brushed over with a wire brush that I've made out of an old computer wire and glue. I want to bring out that detail with a wash of color and most likely a dry brush at the very end.

Unfortunately I cant find any pictures of the armature, I thought I took some, but apparently I hadn't. I'll be sure to document my next sculpt however, most likely in this thread as well as the painting of this guy.

Thanks
    Hey all, I recently picked up an airbrush! it's an Iwata hp-c plus, which is really fun to use. Unfortunately when I picked it up I didn't get any paint reducer (thins it out so it goes through the airbrush better). So I was stuck with pretty much only base coating and laying out the colors, which is fine by me. I went back to the store today to pick up the reducer, and found a 480ml bottle that was dropped and had a 1.99 price tag on it, felt like I was stealing it, hehe. I haven't started the detailing yet, but I do have the basic layout of colors done:

I want to make the hands and feet dark like the head, and have the lighter part fade in from the dark edge. I basically want to push myself with the colors, as I'm pretty horrible with them anywhere else. I'm hoping this is where it will click!

More updates later!

I'm going to live forever, or die trying!
    My Sculpture Thread!

Thanks
    Looks good, The green on his arms is quite bright but maybe this will dull when you apply the details?

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Yeah, it was quite bright. It didn't seem very imposing to me. So I got the paints out again and along with the reducer, I had lots of fun!

Alot darker now. I didn't fix his snout area yet, but it doesn't look as bad as these pictures make out, and there are actually 3 colors on the dark green part that don't seem to show very well... I used the spackle technique on the softer skin area's which really put some life into it. I wanted to do some more but I ran out of time, and now it's time for bed, I'll try and have this guy complete next update.

My Sculpture Thread!

Thanks
    Nice! It's coming along nicely.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    Hey guys! It's been a while since I've been able to work on stuff, or post for that matter. I'm barely getting 1 day off a week (not that I mind too much, means more money for sculpting when I do get time off!). So I've got a question to start this one off, my next project involves a throne. I'll be trying to put the least amount of smooth surfaces on it as possible, because I'm not very good at creating them, but I'll still need them. My question is, what's the best way to go about getting a smooth and flat surface?

The throne wont exactly be the center piece, I want to make a mold of it and use it for a few characters, infact I've drawn up a few mock poses! here's a few that I'd like to do!

I know, there's a few of em, I might not do them all, as their just idea's so far. If you look at the top left, you might get an idea of which game characters I'll be duplicating

Back to my creature, I've started the eyes! I put a few masks of unbaked sculpy around them so the color wont spill out, kinda like a frisket mask.

Sorry for the brightness around the eye area, I hate it when you cant dull the flash enough for good pictures, and I'm no expert in how to change camera settings. Now I just need to get the pupils in, add a little red in the eyes, do some dry brushing and paint the base, then he's done!

My Sculpture Thread!

Thanks
    hey there, looking great for a first sculpt! i really like the way you did the veins, they are very subtle, i know the first time i did veins they just ended up looking like worms over the muscles, but you've done a wonderful job here with them

i would only critque the lack of texture, it seems like a creature like this would have lots of little scales, warts, bumps and so on, it feels a bit naked. but you are off to a great start.

thank you for sharing and please make sure to keep posting as i would love to see more of your work.

Thanks
    Corth

This paint scheme is much better than your original, Alot more natural looking.
    You've done an excellent job capturing the anatomy,I agree with FritoFrito, in that the lack of texture makes him look a bit sparse, But I think once you've done the drybrushing all those veins, pores and general textures will come through beautifully.

Looking forward to the next installment!!

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Hey, Corth. A great update with this last round of work.

I agree with Frito-F about the texture. I think with a beast like this, you can really punch up the design by going in and creating some elements that break up the way the eye crosses the surface of your creature. If you check out Steve Wang's work on The Creature for Monster Squad, you'll see what I mean.

What's great about baked clay is that you can always go back over it with epoxies, chavant, etc. to cover the core shape with detail without having to risk baking the piece again. Of course, for some materials, you'll have to make a copy to work with in the end, but it's totally worth the experience. Just something to think about for your next creature project.

All in all, I think going back over the original paintwork was a terrific decision. You've created something here that feels a bit more natural, more "at home" in a dangerous, aquatic environment.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.