The beginnings of my first original

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The beginnings of my first original

Hi I am new here so I thought I'd get involved. I started casual art classes 3 years and after copious amounts of copying from work I like, I finally attempted an original to commence painting. I photocopied the orignal line work and am now experimenting with light and shade. Any advice or tips?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, Awsome sketch! this could turn out to be a fun piece to do!

Small things I would fix, The womans left foot would look alot better flat on the ground. Right now it looks like she's on her toes which is a bit awkward.
    It looks like the light source is behind her, putting most of her in shadow. There is nothing wrong with that, but it might be more interesting to have the side of her we can see more illuminated. If you want to get wild with shadows, putting shadow shapes on her body (like light coming through a canopy of leaves) might be something to play with. sunlight falling in the foreground with her just in the shadow behind it might be interesting too.

Anyway, can't wait to see where you go with this. Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, all I can say really is "wow" to ya. There's alot of dynamic action going on, and it looks like you have a very good understanding of form and layout.

Here's my advice: Push forward and experiment, because it looks like you know what you're doing

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xerenity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice - appreciated

Mute - Yeah the fire behind her had my mind contorting as to how to light this one. where would a secondary light be most effective? I dig your idea on cast shadows of leaves and the like. That gave my mind's eye something juicey to contemplate. cheers

Xerenity - Thanks for the kind words I haven't picked up a pencil for a bit due to the bosses wishes being more urgent. But encouraging words like yours really help me get back on track and re-disover that "place" I'd rather be.

Do either of you obsess over art on occassion? Or is it just me? JK

Cam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As others already said rightly, the dynamics of the composition is fantastic and this will be a great piece for sure.

You're way ahead of me but I can see some mistakes. Her shoulder width and chest width seem too wide. Her left forearm (right on the drawing) also looks strange. The upper arm is meant to be bulkier. Her right thigh is too big. It's not clear how you are going to position the front foot since you haven't gone down to detail yet, but it looks like she's folding her toes while pointing the big toe? That doesn't feel very comfortable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Leonor,

You're quite right re: shoulders, chest and arm. I didn't see it before. Funny how the eyes begin to play tricks. And 'that' foot... hmmm I see what you mean. One thing I've discovered though, is that during the painting process these anomalies start to become more apparent to the eye. Thankfully, I'm used to it and use the time of building-up the layering to tighten the form.

I will post more WIP's of the washes in time. Work permitting

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.