Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Electronic Music

Hi,
    As a ridiculously passionate music buff, as many of you know, I am trying to experiment more in creating music and I'm trying to gain experience in different instruments. One that I've always taken interest is entirely foreign to me is electronic music creation. I know that there are several producers (musicians? what are they called...) of electronic music that frequent this site (Phil?) so I was greatly hoping that you could give me some very broad starter information on how to create such music. The information I would like to know is what programs to use, and perhaps a link to a basic tutorial or similar. The only way I can fathom creating it is to place each individual sound separately which I could imagine would be a little like painting pixel by pixel (worse actually, as you'd have to find each sound to begin with). I would think that with my general easy of computer usage and with experience in digital art, I could compose something at least slightly interesting. Further more, my inspirations come not from electronic music but rather what I believe could be created with the medium in the genres I would create in.
    Thanks,
    Jake

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 625 Posts
    maybe play around with frooty loops jake. i'm sure these better stuff out there though.

i know crap about music, but FL studios has an appeal to me as being very linear and visual, using layers more than just an intangible abstraction of sound without any connection of what i hear to a physical form.
    Last edited by Grief; May 8th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Same as art buddy, search for tuts on music and music making. Once you learn some simple structures and how to use a music program or 2 you'll be on your way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 593 Posts
    Renoise

Last edited by DanielC; May 8th, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    woah, Daniel I friggin loooove that stuff! thanks for reminding me to drag all my venetian snares stuff into my winamp playlist again
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    kaossilator

Thanks
    I remember fruity loops from when I was first getting into this stuff. Its a fairly easy to use and learn program. I would not suggest against it. I would however suggest you look into

Propellerheads Reason

Its as easy to learn and use as fruity loops but also links easily to other production suites such as Logic, ProTools, or Live.

There are other programs such as Acid but I think the above mentioned programs would be a good place to look.

You may find yourself wanting to pick up some sort of usb midi control it'll make your life easier IMO.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    Can't go wrong with FL studio - download the free version and try it out! You'll be rockin out cool tunes in no time

Lol for pure creativity and fun - Music2000 for Playstation 1 is awesome! The sound quality is not near the others but the ease of pick up and create is one of the best in my opinion - especially if you're learning the basics.

I also have Logic pro7 - sweet awesome sound quality but rather 'pro' in it's usability so I hardly do anything with it ...maybe logic studio is easier to pick up and create?

Never tried Reason properly but heard its good.

I'd go for FL studio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    At it's simplest "old school" level, you need three things.

1) A sampler- This does what you'd think , it samples any sounds you input into it at whatever sound quality you want (not an issue in these days of 500 gig hard drives in everything, but it was important back in the day..). These can be random bleeps, vocals, sections from other music, sound fx, pianos, mic input, guitar, whatever.

Your alternative is to use pre existing samples, or more usually a combination of the two, since not many people have, say a drumkit lying around.

2) A sequencer- Digital equivalent of an analog mixing desk. Drag and drop these samples onto the tracks to make coherent noises. You can loop samples, cut and paste segments, fade tracks in and out, speed up, slow down, add effects to individual tracks or across the board on a linear timeline.
    If you've ever edited any kind of video the interface will be fairly familiar.

1&2 will be in whatever program you use.

3) Basic musical knowledge. How much of this you need depends on what you're trying to do obviously. If you can play any tonal instrument to some degree, you're probably good to go.

Sorry if this is too dumbed down but I wasn't sure how "basic" we're shooting for here.

Anyway, grab a demo and have at it, it's kinda like learning PS or something in the sense that it might be ugly but you can't break anything so get stuck in and have fun.
    Last edited by Flake; September 12th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Well, for starters fruity loops is great. Ive been using it for almost 7 years now and i still like it. Ive tried cubase and sonar cakewalk and i had a demo of reason. But i always went back to fruityloops. Stupid name but whatever...

The key is to get nice vst's (virtual studio technology) like synths and effects.

Synths that i love to use is;

V-station (90% of the synth sounds in my songs is this little synht)
    Sylenth 1
    z3t4+(ive only tried a trial of the synth but i love it.

And then theres some "Romplers" out there that are nice. Romplers are basicly a sampler that you can...well i just call them a sampler...hehe.

Nexus
    Atmosphere (this thing is a beast and you can do alot more with the sounds compared to the nexus.)

Sample packs. Well to be honest theres so much free sounds out there that you dont HAVE to get sample packs, but its nice to have. Ill see if i can dig up some links.

Thanks
    check out Ableton LIVE, it's awesome. www.ableton.com