Sketchbook: Scribblings of insanity
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scribblings of insanity

Hello there. After looking for weeks through other peoples sketchbooks and occasionally seeing some drastic improvements I decided to start my own.

These are some sketches, digital paintings, etc to give you an idea of my current ability. Included also are some Works in progress (some of them have been a little too long in progress).

Anyway I hope to get more involved in the CA community.

Cheers, Peter.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    P.s. sorry for the ridiculously huge first image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. You make good color choices, and you've shown a variety of mediums you can use. Try being more confident in your mark making, even if you end up with the wrong line.

Post more, it may take a while for people to pay attention, but try and flood this thread with art, and people will notice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Some studies and a finnished work

HugeHarHar:Thanks a lot. your comment is much appreciated. I agree I do need to bolden up quite a bit on my mark making(any suggestions?).

I'm studying Animation full time at Polytech, so while I won't be able to 'flood' this thread, but I will at least try to post twice a week.

Below in order: the 'finished' version of the red picture above (I did this for a Deviantart competition). some quikie referenced pose sketches. one of which I did twice because I found it difficult. Plus a Quick tonal study of a key chain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think from what I can tell at the moment is from the digital paintings, atleast, is that you need to work up the painting better. I'm seeing a very unrefined image with a very refined peice here and there. I think what you should do is work up an image in it's entirety (to an extent, you do want a focal point) and build it up over time. Something I was taught when starting out in digital painting is use the largest possible brush to acheive the stroke you're doing, and to stroke confidently, you have nothing to lose if it doesn't work out first go, but if you're hesitent in stroke making; it shows.

In specific reference to the mermaid thing; she/he/it is looking rather stiff, try using a line of movement before building up a character, what I would think when looking at a mer-thing is fluid movement. This is where a line of movement combined with confident marks would succeed greatly. The line seems to imply the entire being is like a snake, with not relating movement in the arms/upper spine/neck/head.

For the other pictures, especially the human poses; you need to work on basic anatomy and form, you're not far away, but the problem i'm feeling is they're looking flat and stiff. Remember that the human form is a 3 Dimensional shape and should act like one, noses stick out, facial features move around the head in a curve, not on a flat surface. Remember bones underlying the skin etc.

I suggest having a play with Posemaniacs (just search for it in Goog's) for teaching yourself how to quickly identify how a pose should look when drawn, and to draw from life as much as possible.

And on a much nicer note, the still-life at the end is looking good. Keep going~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start here.. looks like your giving everything a go keep studying from life, it will never let you down.. get the basics sorted and then let the imagination run wild

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. That's pretty awesome about the animation studies you have, if you get a chance you could always post them on here as well.

When it comes to bolden up your lines there's a few methods I think might work. I mean first off it mostly comes from practice. The fact that you're willing to do the same pose/sketch/drawing more than once is a great start. Try drawing with quick continuous lines. Think about how you write, whenever you put down letters you're still technically drawing, think about the confidence you have when you write a sentence.

Master studies really help. Finding sketches done by artists you really enjoy and working from them will show you how they did it once you get a hang of it.

Also try spending some time just scribbling. Don't worry about any representation. Just try and make each line interesting to look at, and try building shapes out of these lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Sorry Guys and Gals

I guess I couldn't even keep up my 'two posts a week schedule.'

Saminfused: Now now, play nice. Thanks for the crits. The mermaid fish thing? she's an old girl probably why she looks a bit stiff I did the line art in 2005 and the BG over the last two years. So you could say that I could probably work on actually finnishing things. Posemaniacs is a viable option now that my tech course has finnished figure drawing for the year. As for my confidence and knowlege of anatomy s'ppose practice is the answer at the end of the day.

coldrum: Thanks! I agree. I'm planning working on both studies from life and imagination.

HugeHarHar: Thank you very much for your comments/ advice! For some reason I can draw reasonably but when it comes to hand writing, mines only just legible. I can't write that fast ethier. There are a few past drawings which show confidence. If varies on how I feel at the time of the drawing
    Master studies and scribbles? Good I dea. I ned to do more of those. emulations aswell (after copying a drawing or painting, drawing or painting a similar subject in the same style).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some older stuff.....

..Done over the past year. New stuff on the way...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Some moore old stuff..

A farewell card for a friend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Animation

Character sheets and a colour sketch from my Politech animation course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Anatomy sketches and stuff

Catching up on all the posts I should have done last week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet man! welcome to the boards! do i c some general drawing exercises there hehe(im going to take it ur in 1st year yeah?). they bring back memories. hope cpit is treating u well man. make the most of it while ur there. i wish i could go back and do another year of focused study. lol. so whats ur focus man? are you going traditional 2D or 3D based? either way man i gotta say hit every figure class that u can. If u go talk to Katerina or Sandra they are really good at sneaking u into other classes. i think we used to catch an extra 2 or 3 classes aweek if u can fit it in. its going to be really important that u can jot down the human figure fast and effectively. and hacky sack is a great tool for breaks haha.
    ps. there is also this place cgnz.co.nz for an nz based community. wouldnt hurt to start a sketchbook there too if ya keen.
    keep em rolling man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kiaora! tokotewhero. Thanks for your post Ha ha ha Year 1? I wish! Would have slacked off a whole lot less. Oh well at least I didn't fail the essay unlike this year . I'm in second year and right now what animation we are doing is 2D. We are doing 3D but more in the physical sense (stopmation). I think second semester we will begin digital animation; that, as well as animating Project X. What will be my focus? Prob 2D (perhaps implementing some digital 3D). cgnz.co.nz sketch book? See if I can keep this one up, but definitely!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Late update

Apologies, I was busy with assignments and the art history exam. Ok enough of the excuses, here's what I've been up to...

P.S. stock used for the katana girl study http://epidemic-stock128.deviantart....ck-1-123964670

Linguini is offline (n.) pasta in long, slender, flat strips. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the many mediums and styles you have in your sketchbook! I especially like your studies, it reminds me that I should do more of those. I would love to see some animations from you!

♥♥ SKETCHBOOK ♥♥ BLOG ♥♥ PORTFOLIO ♥♥ dA GALLERY ♥♥

If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.
    - Albert Camus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More stuff

Linguini:Thanks, I try to be Diverse. Animations, we'll see...(need to figure out how to embed youtube clips.) studies, haven't done any since then, should do more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A few animations

Ok just a few animation exercizes that I did for tech.

Last edited by CrazedQuetzal; August 17th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

Cow sketches and final for the one a few weeks ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff. don't like the colour one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more Sketches, doodles, etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick bus sketches and a random cute but beefy monster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates man. The structural drawings are coming along nicely. dont forget those vanishing points tho eh. animation studies are pretty sweet! hows that project X? haha i remember mine. i planned like 5mins of animation. but in the end was lucky to have 1. Had something to do with a girl with a paper bag on her head stealing someones hacky sack and a mini parkour chase. haha. hope poly is treating you well man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 second uglies from posemaniacs. Critique away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff in here

For the posemaniacs..Maybe start at a higher time than 30 secs so you can get more of a gesture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some more gestures

I did these a while ago. (This is the first time I've updated in ages)

Colour excursion: Thanks, I gave myself a little more time for these ones and they are looking a lot better.

Tokotowhero: Thanks man. ha ha mine, didn't quite make one minute. It's very unfinished but here's the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaO3nXAkMo. I'm busy working on this years animation project and no, it's not the music video we are doing a kind of toon talent show. I'll be posting character sheets and story boards and like the like for people to critique shortly.

and lastly just a few sketches a random assortment of things.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.